SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#428965 - 02/15/17 11:30 AM Guess I should stick with playing for seniors
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
Valentine's Day I filled in at a restaurant for an act that had cancelled. Since I play mostly for seniors, I realized my music was dated for this under 45 crowd that showed up.

I even learned(well actually am learning..Don wish I could get some help)) Lay Down Sally....but even this song is 40 years old. The 45 year olds were around 5 when this song came out.

Sometimes I feel like I'm caught in the middle. I'm a baby boomer at 68. But my music is way too old to play for the under 50 crowd and too young to embrace all the music of the 85 - 95 year olds I find at most of the places I play.

Thoughts?

#428966 - 02/15/17 11:58 AM Re: Guess I should stick with playing for seniors [Re: guitpic1]
Dnj Offline

get some up to date dance mp3s to play and mix it up in that situation....

Blurred lines
Can't stop The Feeling
Cake by the Ocean
Lets get Loud
Cupid Shuffle
Fireball
Do It

etc, etc, dont get stuck in a wrong crowd situation they will tear you a new one if you get my drift. wink

Edited by Dnj (02/15/17 03:10 PM)

#428967 - 02/15/17 12:18 PM Re: Guess I should stick with playing for seniors [Re: guitpic1]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By guitpic1
Valentine's Day I filled in at a restaurant for an act that had cancelled. Since I play mostly for seniors, I realized my music was dated for this under 45 crowd that showed up.
I even learned(well actually am learning..Don wish I could get some help)) Lay Down Sally....but even this song is 40 years old. The 45 year olds were around 5 when this song came out.
Sometimes I feel like I'm caught in the middle. I'm a baby boomer at 68. But my music is way too old to play for the under 50 crowd and too young to embrace all the music of the 85 - 95 year olds I find at most of the places I play.
Thoughts?

What type of music did the other group play? Since it was a restaurant, were they expecting dance music? There is a lot of music from Billy Joel, Elton John, The Beatles, Eric Clapton, etc.that can be played, and in a restaurant setting I don't think it has to 'sound like the record' ... this past week I did a version of "Can't Buy Me Love" using a Big Band shuffle style and it went over well ...
Plus, with the recent popularity of 'duets' - Sinatra & others, Tony Bennett & others - and re-releases of standard songs by Michael Buble, rock stars like Rod Stewart recording American Standards, there is a lot more exposure to standards than there has been in a long time ...
HOWEVER, if it IS a 'DANCE' setting, then obviously newer songs are needed ...

#428972 - 02/15/17 02:38 PM Re: Guess I should stick with playing for seniors [Re: guitpic1]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
It's all a matter of reading the audience - it's that simple. Before I play that first song, I look at the audience, determine their ages, and often go through the crowd and ask if they have any special songs they would like me to play. Then, I return to the keyboard, and select appropriate songs from when that audience was 15 to 45 years of age, which is the era that would work best for most audiences. This technique has never failed me, and I have played for everyone from Spring Breakers to octogenarians. Even if they don't dance.

Now, unlike some folks here, I never used MP3s and DJ'd a job - it's just not my style. When I was still working, I was a singer, musician and entertainer and very successful for lots and lots of years. I played restaurants where no one danced, and restaurants where everyone danced, and never had a problem keeping the audiences entertained.

I sincerely believe in having a diverse repertoire, and being able to cover every genre of music from rock to ballroom and modern country. This is one of the reasons Don Mason has always been one of my music idols - he can cover all the bases and does so very professionally. If someone in the audience asks for a Jimmy Buffett song, it will take him about 6 seconds to kick into Margarettaville, and 6 seconds after that song ends he can be into any Sinatra song or a country oldie. That's what it takes, and he, as some noted in his recent video, can readily mix with the audiences. I tried to emulate many of the things that Don does in Ernest's every weekend, though I wouldn't wear that hat if you paid me to. wink

The best advice I have is for you to update your song list, registrations, MFD, songbook, etc..., practice those songs, and work on reading those audiences.

Good luck,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#428974 - 02/15/17 03:15 PM Re: Guess I should stick with playing for seniors [Re: guitpic1]
Jerry T Offline

Loc: Phila. 'burbs, Pa. USA
Yeah, but it was Valentine day ... surely many 'love songs' cross age barriers. I'm fortunate in that I play Italian restaurants, so I could do old traditional Italian songs and mix the entire rat pack repertoire in - and I love doing Fats Domino - just tell everyone that his surname ends in a vowel so its appropriate. And with the aid of midi files, I can do just about all genre when pressed. Not too much call for country here however. I do have a WWII vet that asks for 'San Antonio Rose' each time he visits ...

#428976 - 02/15/17 06:41 PM Re: Guess I should stick with playing for seniors [Re: Jerry T]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Play the music you love and then find an audience that appreciates it.

John C.

#428977 - 02/15/17 06:59 PM Re: Guess I should stick with playing for seniors [Re: guitpic1]
guitpic1 Offline

Good thoughts all. Need some time to figure out what is next. Tx

#428985 - 02/16/17 04:53 AM Re: Guess I should stick with playing for seniors [Re: guitpic1]
shueymusic Offline

Loc: Lebanon, PA
Know your crowd! We did a gig for an oil company's Christmas party. 50 plus was the age at 5/6 tables. The last table was 30 somethings. It was the table in the back corner and we just got this vibe from their body language. Well, 5 of 6 tables enjoyed our program.

Musician's rule... You can always sell yourself enough to play a gig once. If they ask for you again, they liked you!!

We do the gig we do because it works. If you like it, great. If not, as long as you get paid, you still did a good job. Make the person paying you like it and do what you love!
Yamaha Genos - RCF M20x - RCF HD10A (Stereo) - Jupiter Pocket Trumpet - Sennheiser e935 - Neumann KMS-104 plus-N

#429027 - 02/17/17 11:47 AM Re: Guess I should stick with playing for seniors [Re: shueymusic]
guitpic1 Offline

Follow up.

Yesterday.

Played for a group of about 50 seniors 70 - 95 yrs. I used my PA 4X and JBL Eon One(so impressed with both).

Had a wonderful reception. Was suppposed to play for 60 minutes, group kept me around for another 15 minutes and they didn't want to quit.

Maybe this is where I belong?

#429044 - 02/18/17 07:34 PM Re: Guess I should stick with playing for seniors [Re: guitpic1]
KORG80 Offline

Yes for sure!

God Bless,
Don

#429193 - 02/23/17 10:28 PM Re: Guess I should stick with playing for seniors [Re: guitpic1]
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA

Thoughts?

In the early 90's I saw it coming. Too many contemporary songs suddenly in the arena and too difficult to learn them all. A friend kept hammering away at me to become a DJ. Trying to stay true to my musical training, I put it off for years until the friend put it this way: "Don't you get it.......if you make your money as a DJ then you can cherry pick your live music jobs." That's all I needed......changed on a dime and went out and bought DJ equipment. Best thing I ever did.....it changed and enriched my whole outlook on music and performing. And for the first time I was free to sing standing up (to Karaoke discs) instead of "sitting" at a keyboard.

So what I did (on live music jobs) was bring the keyboard and play for an hour to show everyone I was a genuine musician and then I switched to a DJ presentation for the rest of the night. Never got a single complaint for the switch-over!

You couldn't do that now....in the 90's DJ-ing was in it's infancy and well before disco lights and lasers and what-nots became essentials. Back then all you needed was 2 CD players and a case full of CD's......and a personality.

#429266 - 02/25/17 10:51 AM Re: Guess I should stick with playing for seniors [Re: Mark79100]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By Mark79100

Thoughts?

In the early 90's I saw it coming. Too many contemporary songs suddenly in the arena and too difficult to learn them all. A friend kept hammering away at me to become a DJ. Trying to stay true to my musical training, I put it off for years until the friend put it this way: "Don't you get it.......if you make your money as a DJ then you can cherry pick your live music jobs." That's all I needed......changed on a dime and went out and bought DJ equipment. Best thing I ever did.....it changed and enriched my whole outlook on music and performing. And for the first time I was free to sing standing up (to Karaoke discs) instead of "sitting" at a keyboard.

So what I did (on live music jobs) was bring the keyboard and play for an hour to show everyone I was a genuine musician and then I switched to a DJ presentation for the rest of the night. Never got a single complaint for the switch-over!

You couldn't do that now....in the 90's DJ-ing was in it's infancy and well before disco lights and lasers and what-nots became essentials. Back then all you needed was 2 CD players and a case full of CD's......and a personality.

How the job of a deejay has changed since then..

Modern day EDM deejays create their own songs, many use some form of keyboard.. And multi track sequences...

A keyboard workstation like the pa4x is definately a beast where it comes to a modern days deejay perfeomance...

http://keyszone.boards.net

#429297 - 02/25/17 05:51 PM Re: Guess I should stick with playing for seniors [Re: guitpic1]
zuki Offline

Senior jobs all the way for me. No more "Can you play Nine Inch Nails?" Plenty of good money at upscale retirement jobs - and they love every minute. I'm throwing everything I want at them, Eagles, Willie, 50s, James Taylor, Glen Miller, Cole Porter, etc. I feel the music is more sophisticated (theory) than the crap bar patrons listen to.

Found my home. The better I get, the more money I make.

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#429303 - 02/25/17 07:41 PM Re: Guess I should stick with playing for seniors [Re: zuki]
tony mads usa Offline

Good for you Zuki ... your 'playlist' is a lot like the stuff I LOVE to play ... especially the Eagles with the 'acoustic' styles on the Pa900 ...

#429308 - 02/26/17 12:09 AM Re: Guess I should stick with playing for seniors [Re: tony mads usa]
guitpic1 Offline

Songs from the late 40's to the 60's work well where I play.

#429709 - 03/10/17 11:25 AM Re: Guess I should stick with playing for seniors [Re: Dnj]
Jerryghr Offline

Loc: Buffalo, NY
Originally Posted By Dnj
get some up to date dance mp3s to play and mix it up in that situation....

Blurred lines
Can't stop The Feeling
Cake by the Ocean
Lets get Loud
Cupid Shuffle
Fireball
Do It

etc, etc, dont get stuck in a wrong crowd situation they will tear you a new one if you get my drift. wink

Good suggestion. Playing for a 72 year old Birthday tomorrow.

I'm sure guests will be in their 70's, Their kids in their 50's, and grandkids in their 30's great grand children...........

Though audience to cover. I asked the host for a list of request and she said "I'll give it to you when you get here."

I asked for them in advance and still no dice. I'll gather a bunch of MP3s and hope they are right choices.

Otherwise I'll take the money and run. The kicker is........... she owns the place, and the Birthday Boy (her father) recommended us.

Regards,

Jerry

Edited by Jerryghr (03/10/17 01:40 PM)

#429713 - 03/10/17 12:50 PM Re: Guess I should stick with playing for seniors [Re: guitpic1]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I always take my laptop. I can tether it to my phone for internet service, and play almost anything ever written from Youtube if necessary.
I play about all my break music this way any more too. Endless variety.
Of course you could do it directly from the phone, but I like the ease of using the laptop.

#429717 - 03/10/17 01:22 PM Re: Guess I should stick with playing for seniors [Re: DonM]
Jerryghr Offline

Thanks Don.

I have a dumb phone, since I hardly use it, only for emergencies.

Although I just purchased a 12" Android tablet as a backup for my PDFs, and as long as the establishment has internet I can get the songs from Amazon Prime.

I never thought of YouTube which is also a good source and probably quicker.

Regards,

Jerry

#429719 - 03/10/17 02:01 PM Re: Guess I should stick with playing for seniors [Re: guitpic1]
Dnj Offline

let me also remind you that just using the "STOCK" songs downloaded from the net or wherever are not gonna cut it,.....EACH and EVERY song must be critically edited to suit different needs for many many reasons before using them on stage....

#429723 - 03/10/17 03:44 PM Re: Guess I should stick with playing for seniors [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Originally Posted By Dnj
let me also remind you that just using the "STOCK" songs downloaded from the net or wherever are not gonna cut it,.....EACH and EVERY song must be critically edited to suit different needs for many many reasons before using them on stage....

Splain this to me, Ricky! smile

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#429724 - 03/10/17 07:34 PM Re: Guess I should stick with playing for seniors [Re: travlin'easy]
Jerryghr Offline

Problem Solved.

Worried about nothing!! The lady that hired us called and said to do our regular songs. That's why we were hired.

She apologized for the late notice. The request consisted of "Old Country" Johnny Cash, Tammy Wynette, Patsy Cline, Ray Price, Polkas etc. Been playing them for years.

Thanks for the help.

Jerryghr

#429726 - 03/10/17 09:38 PM Re: Guess I should stick with playing for seniors [Re: Jerryghr]
tony mads usa Offline

It's great that it's all stuff that you do and it's even better that she told you in advance of the gig ...

#429733 - 03/11/17 04:03 AM Re: Guess I should stick with playing for seniors [Re: tony mads usa]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
POSTED BY GARY—
“IT'S ALL A MATTER OF READING THE AUDIENCE - IT'S THAT SIMPLE. BEFORE I PLAY THAT FIRST SONG, I LOOK AT THE AUDIENCE, DETERMINE THEIR AGES, AND OFTEN GO THROUGH THE CROWD AND ASK IF THEY HAVE ANY SPECIAL SONGS THEY WOULD LIKE ME TO PLAY. THEN, I RETURN TO THE KEYBOARD, AND SELECT APPROPRIATE SONGS FROM WHEN THAT AUDIENCE WAS 15 TO 45 YEARS OF AGE, WHICH IS THE ERA THAT WOULD WORK BEST FOR MOST AUDIENCES”.

THE MAN IS RIGHT ON. BECAUSE IT IS A RESTAURANT WE CAN ASSUME THAT PEOPLE CAME TO EAT AND TALK.

I PLAYED AT MAYACO COUNTRY CLUB, IT WAS AN UPSCALE CLASSY RESTAURANT. USED MY KN7000 AND PROGRAMED THE ACCOMPANIMENT TO PLAY BASS,DRUMS AND PIANO. I USED ONLY PIANO FOR MY RIGHT AND LEFT HAND. I MADE SURE THE MUSIC DID NOT INTERFERE WITH THEIR CONVERSATIONS. ON OCCASIONS I USED A FLUTE OR A SOFT TRUMPET. MY JOB WAS TO DO WHAT GARY SAID – THEY WILL LET YOU KNOW BY A SMILE OR SOME TYPE OF BODY MOVEMENT.

WHEN I APPLIED FOR THE JOB THEY SAID NO THEY WANTED A PIANO PLAYER. I ASKED FOR ONE NIGHT, THEY AGREED. I WAS THERE FOR SIX YEARS. GOOD INSTRUMENT USED PROPERLY, (VOLUME) AND DOING WHAT OUR GOOD FRIEND GARY SAID. NORMALLY THERE IS NO DIALOG BETWEEN THE PEOPLE AND THE MUSICIAN. I DID NOT SING UNLESS IT WAS REQUESTED.

WHY DO MUSICIANS GET SO CONCERNED WITH A REQUESTED SONG? WHEN I WAS ASKED TO PLAY A SONG I DID NOT KNOW I APOLOGIZED AND HOPED I DID NOT DISAPPOINT THEM. I FEEL THAT THEY WERE SATISFIED BECAUSE I ADDRESSED THE PROBLEM WITH RECOGNITION. I AM TALKING ABOUT 100 OR MORE PEOPLE IN A CATERING HALL -- PLEASING ONE WITH A SONG I AM NOT SURE OF OR THAT IS NOT MY STYLE, OR THAT WAS NOT ME, WOULD NOT DO MUCH FOR THE OTHER 99 PEOPLE THAT WERE THERE. I BURIED THEIR REQUEST WITH ONE OF MY BEST EXCITING SONGS THAT WAS POPULAR AT THAT TIME.

JOHN C.
PS, I am assuming that there is no dance floor in the restaurant.
I DON'T KNOW HAO THIS POST CAME OUT ALL CAPS AAAAH COMPUTERS,

Edited by bruno123 (03/11/17 04:04 AM)

#429776 - 03/11/17 11:45 PM Re: Guess I should stick with playing for seniors [Re: guitpic1]
Mark79100 Offline

One of the great joys and, at the same time, one of the increasingly great hazards these days is playing to people on a one-on-one. i.e. playing for a very small crowd or "strolling" among restaurant tables.

I get "strolling" jobs here and there that I do on accordion. I'm a very sociable person so I tend to talk easily between playing. Most tables will greet you with pleasantries and eagerness to have you play for them. But in the few steps and few seconds before you visit the next table or booth, you have to do a quick assessment of the situation you're walking into. i.e. would they rather eat just now, are they having a deep conversation or is it a first date and courtship and it's not a good time to interrupt, are they just plain immune to music, does the man look like he might become "possessive" if you talk to the wife first, has anyone had too much to drink, what type of music might they be into, shall I talk on a personal level or keep it professional, and other situations that might be good plots for a horror movie.

It can be challenging but exciting at the same time. Most are eager for you to approach them, but each person (or persons) has to be analyzed in those "few seconds" before you start your interaction.

People don’t realize that good entertaining is not only a musical endeavor but a psychological one also.

Mark

#429789 - 03/12/17 07:26 AM Re: Guess I should stick with playing for seniors [Re: guitpic1]
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Great post Mark...I never thought about having to size-up individual tables as you do.

Reminded me when a buddy of mine was moving out of town. I took him to an Italian restaurant. We ordered two beers and dinner. As we finished dinner a strolling accordion player made his way around the tables and finally got to us. He said, "What can I do for you?" My buddy, (a real country, kinda Shreveport guy) says, "Two more beers". I was shocked and felt terrible for the guy. But he got the beers and brought them to the table with the accordion still strapped on.

We didn't see or hear him again.

Eddie

#430057 - 03/23/17 10:40 PM Re: Guess I should stick with playing for seniors [Re: bruno123]
Mark79100 Offline

Originally Posted By bruno123
“WHY DO MUSICIANS GET SO CONCERNED WITH A REQUESTED SONG? WHEN I WAS ASKED TO PLAY A SONG I DID NOT KNOW I APOLOGIZED AND HOPED I DID NOT DISAPPOINT THEM. I FEEL THAT THEY WERE SATISFIED BECAUSE I ADDRESSED THE PROBLEM WITH RECOGNITION.

I always found "honesty to be the best policy." My own Modus Operandi in responding to requests that I do not know is to simply say: "I'm sorry but I don't know that song."

Of course, I'm not that blunt. I temper the statement, and appease the requester by adding on something like "hey, that's a really great song though....I'm going to get the music to that and.......LEARN IT! This way the person is honored for his musical knowledge and it takes the edge off of the simple "I'm sorry but I don't know that song."

My other response is to say something humorous like: "you know, when I first started playing music there were only two songs in the world: Moon River and Hello, Dolly. Now 50 years down the line there are hundreds of thousands of great songs out there, but, unfortunately, you can't learn them all. And, even if you could, you'd forget them fast not being able to play them regularly." People like to hear odds and ends snippets like that when said in a humorous way.

Mark

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online