SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#429193 - 02/23/17 10:28 PM Re: Guess I should stick with playing for seniors [Re: guitpic1]
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By guitpic1

Sometimes I feel like I'm caught in the middle. I'm a baby boomer at 68. But my music is way too old to play for the under 50 crowd and too young to embrace all the music of the 85 - 95 year olds I find at most of the places I play.

Thoughts?

In the early 90's I saw it coming. Too many contemporary songs suddenly in the arena and too difficult to learn them all. A friend kept hammering away at me to become a DJ. Trying to stay true to my musical training, I put it off for years until the friend put it this way: "Don't you get it.......if you make your money as a DJ then you can cherry pick your live music jobs." That's all I needed......changed on a dime and went out and bought DJ equipment. Best thing I ever did.....it changed and enriched my whole outlook on music and performing. And for the first time I was free to sing standing up (to Karaoke discs) instead of "sitting" at a keyboard.

So what I did (on live music jobs) was bring the keyboard and play for an hour to show everyone I was a genuine musician and then I switched to a DJ presentation for the rest of the night. Never got a single complaint for the switch-over!

You couldn't do that now....in the 90's DJ-ing was in it's infancy and well before disco lights and lasers and what-nots became essentials. Back then all you needed was 2 CD players and a case full of CD's......and a personality.

#429266 - 02/25/17 10:51 AM Re: Guess I should stick with playing for seniors [Re: Mark79100]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By Mark79100
Originally Posted By guitpic1

Sometimes I feel like I'm caught in the middle. I'm a baby boomer at 68. But my music is way too old to play for the under 50 crowd and too young to embrace all the music of the 85 - 95 year olds I find at most of the places I play.

Thoughts?

In the early 90's I saw it coming. Too many contemporary songs suddenly in the arena and too difficult to learn them all. A friend kept hammering away at me to become a DJ. Trying to stay true to my musical training, I put it off for years until the friend put it this way: "Don't you get it.......if you make your money as a DJ then you can cherry pick your live music jobs." That's all I needed......changed on a dime and went out and bought DJ equipment. Best thing I ever did.....it changed and enriched my whole outlook on music and performing. And for the first time I was free to sing standing up (to Karaoke discs) instead of "sitting" at a keyboard.

So what I did (on live music jobs) was bring the keyboard and play for an hour to show everyone I was a genuine musician and then I switched to a DJ presentation for the rest of the night. Never got a single complaint for the switch-over!

You couldn't do that now....in the 90's DJ-ing was in it's infancy and well before disco lights and lasers and what-nots became essentials. Back then all you needed was 2 CD players and a case full of CD's......and a personality.

How the job of a deejay has changed since then..

Modern day EDM deejays create their own songs, many use some form of keyboard.. And multi track sequences...

A keyboard workstation like the pa4x is definately a beast where it comes to a modern days deejay perfeomance...

http://keyszone.boards.net

#429297 - 02/25/17 05:51 PM Re: Guess I should stick with playing for seniors [Re: guitpic1]
zuki Offline

Senior jobs all the way for me. No more "Can you play Nine Inch Nails?" Plenty of good money at upscale retirement jobs - and they love every minute. I'm throwing everything I want at them, Eagles, Willie, 50s, James Taylor, Glen Miller, Cole Porter, etc. I feel the music is more sophisticated (theory) than the crap bar patrons listen to.

Found my home. The better I get, the more money I make.

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#429303 - 02/25/17 07:41 PM Re: Guess I should stick with playing for seniors [Re: zuki]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Good for you Zuki ... your 'playlist' is a lot like the stuff I LOVE to play ... especially the Eagles with the 'acoustic' styles on the Pa900 ...

#429308 - 02/26/17 12:09 AM Re: Guess I should stick with playing for seniors [Re: tony mads usa]
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
Songs from the late 40's to the 60's work well where I play.

#429709 - 03/10/17 11:25 AM Re: Guess I should stick with playing for seniors [Re: Dnj]
Jerryghr Offline

Loc: Buffalo, NY
Originally Posted By Dnj
get some up to date dance mp3s to play and mix it up in that situation....

Blurred lines
Can't stop The Feeling
Cake by the Ocean
Lets get Loud
Cupid Shuffle
Fireball
Do It

etc, etc, dont get stuck in a wrong crowd situation they will tear you a new one if you get my drift. wink

Good suggestion. Playing for a 72 year old Birthday tomorrow.

I'm sure guests will be in their 70's, Their kids in their 50's, and grandkids in their 30's great grand children...........

Though audience to cover. I asked the host for a list of request and she said "I'll give it to you when you get here."

I asked for them in advance and still no dice. I'll gather a bunch of MP3s and hope they are right choices.

Otherwise I'll take the money and run. The kicker is........... she owns the place, and the Birthday Boy (her father) recommended us.

Regards,

Jerry

Edited by Jerryghr (03/10/17 01:40 PM)

#429713 - 03/10/17 12:50 PM Re: Guess I should stick with playing for seniors [Re: guitpic1]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I always take my laptop. I can tether it to my phone for internet service, and play almost anything ever written from Youtube if necessary.
I play about all my break music this way any more too. Endless variety.
Of course you could do it directly from the phone, but I like the ease of using the laptop.

#429717 - 03/10/17 01:22 PM Re: Guess I should stick with playing for seniors [Re: DonM]
Jerryghr Offline

Loc: Buffalo, NY
Thanks Don.

I have a dumb phone, since I hardly use it, only for emergencies.

Although I just purchased a 12" Android tablet as a backup for my PDFs, and as long as the establishment has internet I can get the songs from Amazon Prime.

I never thought of YouTube which is also a good source and probably quicker.

Regards,

Jerry

#429719 - 03/10/17 02:01 PM Re: Guess I should stick with playing for seniors [Re: guitpic1]
Dnj Offline

let me also remind you that just using the "STOCK" songs downloaded from the net or wherever are not gonna cut it,.....EACH and EVERY song must be critically edited to suit different needs for many many reasons before using them on stage....

#429723 - 03/10/17 03:44 PM Re: Guess I should stick with playing for seniors [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Originally Posted By Dnj
let me also remind you that just using the "STOCK" songs downloaded from the net or wherever are not gonna cut it,.....EACH and EVERY song must be critically edited to suit different needs for many many reasons before using them on stage....

Splain this to me, Ricky! smile

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online