SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#42902 - 10/29/05 09:34 AM Re: Mains Lead for KN7000
nsr007 Offline

Loc: USA
Nigel,

I couldn't be more surprised at your catty attitude as an administrator of this forum. It is beneath you or should be to start your reply as, "nsr007DEAR." My response to Joan's post in using CLEARLY was not meant showing "prickly" attitude. It was used to emphasize on reading Joe's question again and understanding what he asked. Joan, on the other hand, got testy and sensitive and told me, "Have a nice day." We know how she meant it. What baffles me is that you or Joan can't comprehend what Joe stated. Here it is, "Can anyone confirm the US connection on the KN7000, I am talking the physical connection not the 240v UK to 120v US." He said, US CONNECTION. Joan stating that the UK lead is the same as used on a portable radio - WELL, GEE! Now, if you or Joan can't see a problem with this as an answer, then move on.

etwo4788 - I suggest you also reread Joe's question. When one speaks of AC power it certainly isn't referring to a USB connection.

[This message has been edited by Nigel (edited 10-29-2005).]

#42903 - 10/29/05 12:27 PM Re: Mains Lead for KN7000
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Quote:
Originally posted by nsr007:
Here it is, "Can anyone confirm the US connection on the KN7000, I am talking the physical connection not the 240v UK to 120v US."

If the tone of your postings was misunderstood by us all I really do apologize. You must understand though that the capitalizing of certain words in your first posting came across as being rude which is why you got the responses you did.

By the way I don't allow personal attacks on other members ( other than those directed at me I can take criticism without taking offense ) which is why I edited your posting. This is a privately owned forum and I reserve the right to do that. It was either that or remove the entire thread which I don't like to do. Let the matter drop now as it must have been due to misinterpretation.

Getting back to the whole point of this thread. You didn't answer me to whether or not the KN7000 has a 120/240 volt switch to allow changing between different power supplies. I'm guessing it must or this thread wouldn't make any sense at all. And if it does then even if you weren't able to find a US cable with the right plugs then modifying the UK cable would be trivial.

#42904 - 10/29/05 12:55 PM Re: Mains Lead for KN7000
etwo4788 Offline

Loc: S.E. New Mexico USA
My post was intended to insert a bit of humor into the conversation.

#42905 - 10/29/05 01:00 PM Re: Mains Lead for KN7000
Nigel Offline
Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by etwo4788:
My post was intended to insert a bit of humor into the conversation.

Yes it definately needs to lighten up

#42906 - 10/29/05 02:57 PM Re: Mains Lead for KN7000
nsr007 Offline

Dear Nigel, Joan, et al -

OOPS! I shouldn't have used, DEAR. A little light humor, if I may. I'm sorry that many were and are confused by Joe's posting. The gentleman was trying to find out if there was a difference in the main lead connection at the instrument on a US version KN7000 than on a UK. He went on to say that he was told that you could buy a main lead in the US since he was talking about a UK connection. This got started because I am the one that bought one of his KN7000s and Joe didn't send the main lead with the keyboard. Let me clear up this terminology of "main lead" Apparently, you in the UK and I suppose Europe call it this. In America, (US) we call it a power cord. Joe was trying to find out if someone in the US sold this type of cord so he wouldn't have to send the one he didn't include with the instrument. I tried to get one and no one in the US would have reason to carry a cord such as this. They would have no reason to stalk such an item because our AC is different and above all, the connections are quite different. Joe has told me that he sent the cord. I am still waiting for it but I should be getting it hopefully, soon. I also have a US KN6500 and trust me when I say that the power cord of the KN6500 will not go in the UK KN7000. The male leads coming out of the UK KN7000 are bigger around and further apart than the ones in the KN6500. I am almost certain that my KN6500 cord would fit a US KN7000. As most know, there is little difference between the two boards. Now, with all this, can we blow kisses to each other and make up? A little more humor.

#42907 - 10/29/05 03:13 PM Re: Mains Lead for KN7000
nsr007 Offline

One more thing.

Nigel, there is no power switch on these keyboards. They haven't used them in years. I only wish they still did. I was told by a Panasonic representative that it would have cost the company $2.00 more (what is this about 1 GBP?) to install this on the keyboards. Talk about penny pinching! It also could be a safety measure. I will be posting the latest of what was told to me by this Panasonic representative about the demise of the Technics keyboards a bit later, if I have a stay of execution and permitted to post. Dare I put another emoticon!

#42908 - 10/29/05 03:24 PM Re: Mains Lead for KN7000
Nigel Offline
Admin

No problem. It is easy for the written word to be read differently than it was really intended.

OK now your last posting tells us exactly what is going on and why the original question was asked. Because of the AC differences in different regions power cables are usually specially made not to fit at both ends to avoid dangerous mistakes ( unless the onboard power supply is switchable between the voltage settings ). And because of this you definately would not be able to easily buy a cable for a UK keyboard in the US unless you found a specialty electronics store that carried plugs, cables and sockets for different countries. Getting Joe to send it to you is the best thing.

So it sounds like you intend to run it into a 120-240 volt transformer here in the US. At least you know now from Joan's posting if you ever lost your power cord you could order a standard one from a UK electronics store online.

And I really look forward to hearing from you about what the Panasonic rep told you about stopping the Technics keyboard product line.

#42909 - 10/29/05 03:38 PM Re: Mains Lead for KN7000
Nigel Offline
Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by nsr007:
there is no power switch on these keyboards. They haven't used them in years. I only wish they still did.

That's strange that they stopped doing it. It is more cost effective usually for companies to make a single product that they can sell worldwide rather than manufacturing, shipping and selling separate versions. For this reason a lot of electronic products nowadays can run 120/240 volt at 50~60 hz.

#42910 - 10/29/05 04:44 PM Re: Mains Lead for KN7000
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
I am not going to get involved in this 'disagreement' but I would like to suggest that nsr007 contacts the following company:-

TECHNOTE AMERICA Inc.
5324 56th Commerce Park Blvd
Tampa
Florida
USA
Telephone no. 1-800 580 4050
email: usa@technote.com

I have dealt with the English Technote company almost since they started business and have always found the staff to be courteous and helpful. If the USA staff are the same (and I'm sure they are) they will do their utmost to help you.

Worth a try anyway.

Good luck!

Aud (U.K.)

#42911 - 10/29/05 06:14 PM Re: Mains Lead for KN7000
nsr007 Offline

Thank you, Nigel and also Audrey.

What my true desire is that once I get the power cord to the keyboard is to have someone convert it to a 120V. Before I bought this keyboard from Joe, I was told by a gentleman that works on electronics that he saw no reason why he couldn't find the correct wires in the power system and make the change. He gave me the go ahead to buy the keyboard. I didn't go into buying this without a clear head. I have and am still considering a power converted amp but I am hoping I don't have to go this route. They weigh anywhere from 6 - 15 pounds and I don't want this oversize wart staring at me next to my keyboard or worse yet, have to carry this damn thing on a gig. Joe has been wonderful and has tried to help me on my dilemma and I am grateful to him. At the present time, I have no answers because I have no power cord to make any decision. Once I get the cord I'll know better how I stand. I think the fuses in the power supply will also have to be changed.

The concern of all of us getting parts down the line is something to be taken seriously but I have checked out Panasonic's website and they have a great deal of parts listed for the KN7000 that are supposed to be available. They list price and online ordering. How long all these parts are going to be available is a good question. Example: I looked up a power transformer unit for the US model. It was $58. and change. My electronics guy told me that the worse case scenario would be that I would have to replace this if he couldn't do the wire change. Let's just say that this has been quite an experience. I don't regret it because Joe has been an excellent gentleman to do business with. One more point of interest, Panasonic is still referring service to their authorize service centers.

Give me a bit of time and I will comment on what the Panasonic representative had to say. You all might find it interesting what he said when he finally confided in me due to our good rapport.

Thanks, Audrey. I will contact Technote if I don't get satisfaction from the repair guy I am planning on using.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online