SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#428892 - 02/13/17 02:49 PM Really small gigs
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
I've got two venues in a small room....less than 20 people. I use my PA 4X and SSV.3.

The folks like the music but I'm thinking the music EQ is too high/mid rangey for these seniors.....mid 70's to 100(would you believe?

I think I need a PA that is more balanced.

Thoughts?

#428893 - 02/13/17 02:58 PM Re: Really small gigs [Re: guitpic1]
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
Here's another way to answer the question.

What's a good PA..good range for seniors age 75 and up?

I've got a JBL Eon One...wonderful...maybe too big for these venues

Bose Compacts. Got two of these. Low end is weak.

I've always liked these.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DXR10

Used their big brothers for concerts. Really underrated...but great sound.

Edited by guitpic1 (02/13/17 03:09 PM)

#428895 - 02/13/17 05:25 PM Re: Really small gigs [Re: guitpic1]
Dnj Offline

LD Maui5.... Call Frank at Audioworks

Edited by Dnj (02/13/17 05:26 PM)

#428897 - 02/13/17 05:28 PM Re: Really small gigs [Re: guitpic1]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I've performed a lot of living room and family room parties, often using just the onboard sound system of the keyboard.

As for the EQs, keep in mind that men ages 70 and older lose their high frequency sounds, while females in the same age category tend to lose low frequency sounds. I think nature intended it that way so we can't hear each other nagging while driving the car and getting lost. wink

BTW: Knowing how much you enjoy stereo sounds, these jobs would be easily covered, in full stereo, with any of the inexpensive Logitech systems. If you decide to use the onboard sound system, you can project that sound forward of the keyboard by constructing some very inexpensive deflectors that resemble an air scoop on the hood of a hot rod car and fastening them to the speakers using small, Velcro strips. Not only does this deflect the sound forward to your audiences, but additionally, it tends to amplify the sound as well, while at the same time help eliminate any feedback problems.

Good luck,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#428898 - 02/13/17 05:35 PM Re: Really small gigs [Re: travlin'easy]
rphillipchuk Online   content

Loc: Ontario Canada
Originally Posted By travlin'easy

As for the EQs, keep in mind that men ages 70 and older lose their high frequency sounds, while females in the same age category tend to lose low frequency sounds. I think nature intended it that way so we can't hear each other nagging while driving the car and getting lost. wink
Gary cool

That is a great way to explain it LOL LOL LOL

Styles
Yamaha Styles Only
Midi Safe

#428900 - 02/13/17 08:10 PM Re: Really small gigs [Re: rphillipchuk]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
I assume you have tried adjusting the EQ on the keyboard and amp?

#428901 - 02/13/17 08:38 PM Re: Really small gigs [Re: rphillipchuk]
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
For nearly 10 years I have use a single Bose L1 Compact speaker for all my gigs. I too have jobs where 10 -20 might show up and the rooms are small. I also, like today, play large venues where 200+ people are present. I find the Bose does wonderful for both gigs. All I do is use room appropriate volume settings and that works just fine. I seldom get complaints about the sound being to loud or to harsh. I do not use a mixer and use the onboard EQ system of each keyboard to balance the sound. I have used this setup with Yamaha PSR3000, Tyros 3, Tyros 4, Korgs PA900, PA1X, PA2X Pro, PA4X Rolands E80, E50, and now my Ketron SD7. It worked just great with all the brands and models.
What I have found is the volume level is the most important aspect for the senior audiences.

Hope this helps,
Deane

#428903 - 02/13/17 08:58 PM Re: Really small gigs [Re: guitpic1]
J. Larry Offline

Loc: University, MS 38677 USA
I often play small dinner parties, providing easy-listening background music. I use the onboard speakers of the S970, but augment the sound with a pair of small, bi-amped 4-inch monitor speakers----about 40 watt powered speakers. There is plenty of sound to fill a room easily. I have two other larger systems. But, in many instances, that’s simply overkill for what the client wants, or what the occasion may call for. The money’s the same irrespective of the PA system.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online