SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#428643 - 02/06/17 06:01 PM Re: MIC DROP [Re: travlin'easy]
Jerryghr Offline

Loc: Buffalo, NY
I wasn't a fan either, but I was impressed with the show. Her energy and talent. She sang, danced and played instruments...............and no political rants.

She must be doing something right.

Lady Gaga's Sales Surge Over 1,000% in Wake of Super Bowl Halftime Show according to Nielson music.

Based on initial sales reports collected for Sunday, the diva sold about 150,000 digital albums and songs in the U.S. on Feb. 5 -- an increase of a little more than 1,000 percent compared to the previous day, when she sold around 15,000 digital albums and songs.

Also impressive: On Super Bowl Sunday alone, Gaga sold more songs and albums digitally than she did in the entire week ending Feb. 2 -- across both physical and digital formats. In the week ending Feb. 2, Gaga sold 30,000 albums and songs, of which 26,000 were digital.

In total on Sunday, Gaga sold over 125,000 song downloads -- up about 960 percent compared to the previous day (a little more than 10,000 sold). Her biggest-selling song on Feb. 5 was "Million Reasons," which sold more than 45,000 downloads -- up nearly 900 percent compared to the previous day (about 5,000)

Not bad for a 13 minute show

Edited by Jerryghr (02/06/17 06:03 PM)

#428650 - 02/06/17 09:22 PM Re: MIC DROP [Re: organgrinder]
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
Watching Lady GaGa at half time (for all of 8 minutes before I had to switch channels) reminds me of that saying....."people listen with their eyes!" I couldn't find even a hint of "melody" in what she was singing. If you take your eyes off the screen and just listen, all you hear is "noise!" To save my sanity, I recorded the whole game just so I could cut out the half-time antics.

Yes.......she is extremely talented, plays piano, sings well (trained!), dances, talks well. But what's the point of it all if there's no substance to the songs she sings? The music was designed simply to compliment the dancing, and not at all meant to be Grammy winner tunes.

BTW......I read that she didn't get paid for the show. That all the production costs were covered but......no salary!

#428656 - 02/07/17 07:32 AM Re: MIC DROP [Re: Mark79100]
Jerryghr Offline

Mark,

I guess it's safe to say you weren't one of the 160 million people who watched her do her show........ without lip syncing. smile

As Gary would say "It's all about being an entertainer"

Regards,

Jerryghr

#428665 - 02/07/17 09:38 AM Re: MIC DROP [Re: Jerryghr]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
I think one of the things we - 'WE being those born in the 1940s - 1950s, and maybe even later - have to come to grips with is the fact that today's music and musical performances are not created for US, the same as the music WE grew up with was not created for our parents and grandparents ... the targeted audience is that late 20s to perhaps 50 year old demographic that is going to spend money buying the artists songs either on 'hard copy' or by D/L from the I'net ... now some might say that audience doesn't have the money these days but based on her recording sales after her performance, I would have to say that would be incorrect, and she accomplished what she wanted ...
Unfortunately, the days of some talented singer with a microphone, standing in front of an audience and just 'singing' are gone ... I can think of only one - Adele - who performs in a scaled down setting, although with a LARGE orchestra ...
Lady GaGA came on the scene wearing outrageous costumes, etc. and that got her the popularity she needed ... underneath it all was REAL talent, as recognized by Tony Bennett, and IMHO their duets are GREAT ...

Edited by tony mads usa (02/07/17 09:40 AM)
Edit Reason: typo

#428681 - 02/07/17 07:13 PM Re: MIC DROP [Re: Jerryghr]
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By Jerryghr
Mark,

I guess it's safe to say you weren't one of the 160 million people who watched her do her show........As Gary would say "It's all about being an entertainer"

Safely said, Jerry. Actually, I DO admire her for what she's done to improve herself, and nurture and exploit her talents. I've read a bit about her......she's worked hard at her profession and now she's on the payoff end.

I think you missed my point, though, about the music itself. I don't knock the show that she put on. I knock the music they give her to do (or she picks herself). Nothing memorable. No brilliant formula songs like ABBA used to come up with almost every time.

I worked appx 15 years as a pro DJ (in addition to playing live). My most requested songs were evergreens....Sinatra, 70's disco hits, 60's standard, Springsteen, Billy Joel, Motown, etc....very, very rarely did I ever get contemporary music requests from adults, unless it was for their kids.

I never forgot what I read many years ago. A song will not be remembered as genuine music unless you can "hum the melody" of it. Think about that.......I do often.

I'm not complaining about the show.......I thought it was a brilliant production. Just NOT for ME.

And.....I almost forgot....another experience from my DJ days. A middle-aged women approached me (around 2005) and asked for a recent song. I knew the song, and by any standards it was just plain awful. I was curious. I asked what she liked about the song. The answer was: she didn't particularly like the song.....she just wanted to "feel young"....another way of saying she "didn't want to feel" old.

I venture to say there just might be 160 million people out there who feel the same way!

#428683 - 02/07/17 07:39 PM Re: MIC DROP [Re: Mark79100]
rphillipchuk Online   content

Loc: Ontario Canada
Originally Posted By Mark79100
[quote=Jerryghr]Mark,

I never forgot what I read many years ago. A song will not be remembered as genuine music unless you can "hum the melody" of it. Think about that.......I do often.

Mark !

Thank you very much for this saying........ It is so true ........

Edited by rphillipchuk (02/07/17 07:40 PM)

Styles
Yamaha Styles Only
Midi Safe

#428695 - 02/08/17 04:51 AM Re: MIC DROP [Re: organgrinder]
Dnj Offline

Lady Gaga rocked the house amazing performance!!

#464878 - 01/20/19 07:12 PM Re: MIC DROP [Re: organgrinder]
Jerryghr Offline

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/ji...hampionship.amp

Jimmy Buffett drops the mic after national anthem at NFC Championship

He should have dropped it before he tried to sing.

Jerryghr

Edited by Jerryghr (01/21/19 04:30 AM)

#464879 - 01/20/19 07:24 PM Re: MIC DROP [Re: Jerryghr]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
For me, they could have picked FAR better performers for BOTH anthems today ... and, again, for ME, the endings of both games were just as bad ... but that's just ME ...

#464886 - 01/20/19 08:10 PM Re: MIC DROP [Re: tony mads usa]
Jerryghr Offline

Originally Posted By tony mads usa
For me, they could have picked FAR better performers for BOTH anthems today ... and, again, for ME, the endings of both games were just as bad ... but that's just ME ...

I agree on both issues.

Jerryghr

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online