SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#427742 - 11/16/16 02:09 PM Re: What does what you play say about you? [Re: captain Russ]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
I think money is only one measure of success and that it means more to some people than others. If money is your primary goal in life, then music is a pretty risky choice of professions. If having a spiritually fulfilling life is more important to you, then music is a great choice. BUT, there is no reason one cannot have both as they don't necessarily have to come from the same source. I love music but there are many other things in my life that are also very fulfilling such as flying (over 40 yrs. and > 20 types of planes), camping, travelling, and being involved in social causes that I think are important.

As for me, I'd rather listen to Tony Monaco or Joey D. for 10 minutes than Jimmy Buffet for a lifetime - but that's just me. I don't, however, look down on or disparage those who like Buffet - 'different strokes for different folks', I just don't find his music inspirational and that is what music has to be for me - inspirational. I love (some) soul singers, a handful of rock singers (Joe Cocker, Janis Joplin), a lot of gospel singers, a few opera singers (Pavarotti, Lanza, L. Price), a lot of blues singers (BB King, Ray Charles, Aretha, Gladys Knight), even a few Country singers (love Willie Nelson), but very few Pop singers. Always loved Tony Bennett and Mel Torme but was always lukewarm about Sinatra (go figure?). What they all have in common (for me, anyway) is that they all sing from the soul (or the gut or whatever) and it is so apparent in their performances. I know that tastes differ and can be dictated by our cultural experiences, but some things are just 'out there'. When Ray Charles sings Georgia or America (bad grammar and all), it touches us all, regardless of our normal or usual taste in music, because we recognize the authenticity and genuineness in it. But enough of this stuff, just my long-winded way of saying I agree with Russ smile.

chas

#427743 - 11/16/16 02:30 PM Re: What does what you play say about you? [Re: cgiles]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Thanks, Chas. You said what I was trying to say more clearly and eloquently.

Eloquence is the characteristic that is most frequent in your posts...the thing people can't see when quickly scanning a page.

Add empathy and compassion.

R.

#427745 - 11/16/16 04:49 PM Re: What does what you play say about you? [Re: captain Russ]
J. Larry Offline

Loc: University, MS 38677 USA
My patrons are generally an older group, like me. So, in most cases, I can anticipate what they might enjoy hearing and what requests might come up. I play them, if I know them. If not, I’ll learn the tune pronto. My latest request was for Maria Elena, a song I’ve heard, but never played.

#427761 - 11/17/16 08:03 AM Re: What does what you play say about you? [Re: captain Russ]
jimlaing Offline

Loc: Raleigh, NC
I play a mix of "songs I know many people like" (based on requests and response over many years), and "songs they might not have heard as much, but might like". I often good good response and comments on the less-often-heard ones, but not always. Sometimes I'm surprised by what song(s) someone says they particularly liked!

I also actively take requests at nearly every gig ... I can't always play ALL of them, but I tend to be able to handle ~80-90% of them. Asking for requests, I think, involves them a bit more actively than not taking requests, and gives me some input on what they want to hear. At some gigs, that are for a "special theme", I will more likely not take as many requests, but play "to the theme" (such as Italian Night or 50's Sock Hop Dance, or Classical Concert, or other specific themes requested for an event by the client).

I have a lot of set lists I have made (from about 1000 songs in my repertoire), and I rotate through them a lot, i.e. try to play different set lists each time at a venue. I keep a little "log" (a file on my computer) where I type in a quick summary of "what I played" at a given place on a given date ... to help me vary the music for them each time I play at that particular venue. So I don't play the same songs at the same place too much, except certain favorites they always request. . .

Jim

#427767 - 11/17/16 10:04 AM Re: What does what you play say about you? [Re: jimlaing]
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
Jim,
We are of like mind. I too have dozens of set lists and try not to play the same list at the same venue with the exception of requests I get from the audiences. I find if i get to far way from the 1930s, 1940s, and 1950s music I get complaints about not playing certain songs. But then I only play for full time retirement places.

Deane

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online