SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#427522 - 11/05/16 02:08 PM Poor singers software
tyroschuck Offline

Loc: Downey, CA, US
What happened to the software, for Yamaha keyboard players, that adjusted your singing to the notes played on the keyboard? You were always in tune.

thanks chuck

#427530 - 11/05/16 06:35 PM Re: Poor singers software [Re: tyroschuck]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
smoke and mirrors

#427532 - 11/06/16 04:48 AM Re: Poor singers software [Re: tyroschuck]
Dnj Offline

either your a singer or your not.......I agree with Dave...

#427533 - 11/06/16 05:27 AM Re: Poor singers software [Re: tyroschuck]
Marcus Offline

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: tyroschuck
What happened to the software, for Yamaha keyboard players, that adjusted your singing to the notes played on the keyboard? You were always in tune.

thanks chuck

There is pitch control and other tone variants within Yamaha's VH2 processor in their recent higher end arrangers, that can help correct your vocals.

Some of these VH2 features can be activated during MIDI Song file play or while accompanying a style, including pitch control, adding (delayed)vibrato, harmonies, vocoder modulation, or gender bending.

The best demo for the above effects is perhaps from Craig Knudsen, a Yamaha demo representative and software developer. The Yamaha VH2 is actually pretty good, but Yamaha went overkill with all the settings and parameters. Too complex for the average user, but all the tools and settings are there for those willing delve deeper into the preset configurations.

VH2 Total Pitch Correction Software - Craig Knudsen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmgVG4hDbsQ

Craig Knudsen uses basic Tyros 4 VH2 functions like pitch control, Karao-Key guide mode, assign slider, vocoder, chordal types, trans mode, vibrato settings, and vocal harmony types in his demo video.

Added VH2 features and quality DSPs on the Tyros 5 improved the VH2 even more. The best new Tyros 5 DSP definitely has to be adding Real Reverb to your vocals and VH2 effects. Yamaha's VH2 is slightly behind T.C Helicon VH technology, but awesome results can be achieved by customizing VH2 settings to your needs. Looking forward what Yamaha will bring in this regard in their next Tyros 6/Genos model (2017?)

Regards, Marcus

#427561 - 11/07/16 09:53 AM Re: Poor singers software [Re: Marcus]
tyroschuck Offline

Loc: Downey, CA, US
Thanks, Marcus
That was the demo I wanted. Voice in thru mic forced to the correct tone--no matter how far off.
I agree you are either a singer/musician or not. I am not but enjoy plaing my keyboard and would enjoy singing a little now and then, at the keyboard and not in the shower.
thanks very much.

#427564 - 11/07/16 11:41 AM Re: Poor singers software [Re: tyroschuck]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Originally Posted By: tyroschuck
I would enjoy singing a little now and then, at the keyboard and not in the shower.

Yes, by ALL means - don't take your kb into the shower!!!
smile

Funny sidenote: I actually saw a tag on a pair of computer speakers once that had a warning: "Not for use UNDERWATER"
WHAAAAAAT??????

#427632 - 11/11/16 11:50 AM Re: Poor singers software [Re: Uncle Dave]
KORG80 Offline

Man this is a joke. VH2 is also a joke. Not much more than a toy as seen here in this video.

I didn't realize that VH2 lagged only slightly behind T.C. Helicon. I thought they were "light years" behind. When did they start to catch up?

When harmonizers first came on the scene I was keenly interested until I saw the emphasis on pitch correction. As Donny has stated,
"You can either sing or not".

There's a you tube video that shows a number of modern "singers" without the help of their beloved AUTO TUNE. Not pretty!!!

T.C. Helicon and Digitech rule the realm of affordable digital processors. They are in no way just a little better than Yamaha's "dollar store" harmonizer.

Edited by KORG80 (11/11/16 12:01 PM)

#427634 - 11/11/16 02:02 PM Re: Poor singers software [Re: KORG80]
Jerryghr Offline

Loc: Buffalo, NY
I find the VH on the Tyros3 usable for occasional effects.
Here are a few clips from a live duo performance at our restaurant engagement. I just use the default settings.

https://app.box.com/s/xi6acyv1mfukm3cdj6f4vi90em4cftmh

https://app.box.com/s/lrhgczjqchwlum8lgkcnl1gcpjso7kat

https://app.box.com/s/mkeia3og8omxphgw0wl3mrkpmoppoacr

Regards,

Jerryghr

#427673 - 11/14/16 01:34 PM Re: Poor singers software [Re: Jerryghr]
KORG80 Offline

Hi Jerry. I've noticed that Yamaha's VH is pretty acceptable with the female voice. I worked on line with a woman who was tweaking VH2 to improve it. She sells vocal paks suited for different voices. I sent her raw unaffected voice samples of me singing and through her magic she got some pretty decent harmonies.
If I had a PSR S 970 instead of PSR S750 I would have taken her up on an offer of the appropriate voice pak for my range in return for me helping her out.
For some reason the VH2 doesn't have a "duo setting" hence no Don an Phil so I'll just stick with my trusty Digitech Vocalist 4.

https://app.box.com/s/vmg6qaj790fns2j8d0jxvffub3q3u4pq

#427674 - 11/14/16 02:12 PM Re: Poor singers software [Re: KORG80]
Jerryghr Offline

Loc: Buffalo, NY
Hi Don,

I enjoyed your demo.

I find that the occasional digital harmonies work pretty well for the audiences. They are not as critical as musicians.

We have some pretty good singers at our gig, that come up and do a number. Sometimes I'll turn on the vocal harmony and it sounds pretty good. Some other singers I turn off immediately. It does work better with certain voices.

Regards,

JerryGHR

#427684 - 11/14/16 11:19 PM Re: Poor singers software [Re: Jerryghr]
KORG80 Offline

Thanks Jerry. I learned very quickly to focus on proper breathing when using a harmonizer. You can't sing lazily when the harmony is engaged.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online