SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#427274 - 10/27/16 02:33 PM Up to me? No new arranger
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
I'm not sure the music produced(at least live), is worth much to anyone.

For me,and others where I live(10,000 lakes resort communities)there are fewer venues for live music...and I got pretty good reviews.

Time to move on?

#427275 - 10/27/16 03:02 PM Re: Up to me? No new arranger [Re: guitpic1]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Rog, there are fewer venues for live music pretty much nationwide. Much of this can be attributed to a substantial decrease in spendable, leisure money. And, for the most part, the younger crowds don't seem to want to do anything unless there is some sort of gizmo in their hand with a screen on it.

Now, as for "Time to move on." NAH! If you got good to excellent reviews, and if you don't mind performing for folks your age or older, than you should be able to find more work than you can handle. And, that's pretty much nationwide as well. Lets face it - there really isn't a lot of competition when it comes to live music, even OMB entertainers. And, I sincerely believe that the competition that exists today will soon go by the wayside. I have seen this in Maryland, nearby Washington, DC, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina and all of Florida. If I were not so crippled up and unable to breath properly, I would still be out there working 7 days a week, and if I were physically able, working 2 jobs a day, and I'm not talking just 1 hour NH jobs.

I realize that Minnesota is a bit different than the Mid-Atlantic region, but not that much different when it comes to entertainment employment opportunities. Have you ever thought about contacting an agent? At one time I worked with 4 of them, all of which found some great jobs for me in locations that paid very, very well. These included nite clubs in Baltimore's Little Italy, Country Clubs, private parties and corporate parties. The corporate parties were the best paying, and I was often tipped more than the actual job paid. I had a bottom line for private parties, which was a minimum of $500 - no one even blinked at that price.

Now, if you're getting burned out, well there's not much any of us can do for you. Those things will happen with any kind of job, especially when you've been working nearly your entire life and it's a one man operation. For me, being a sole proprietor business has always been fun, mainly because I controlled my own destiny. Some folks just don't work well with that kind of load on their shoulders.

Ironically, now that I'm retired, I really wish I could go back to work. Sure, I enjoy sailing, fishing, working in the gardens, and I still sit at the keyboard at least an hour a day, playing old songs and working on new ones. Music has always been a large part of my life since I was just 5 years old, and I guess it will continue to be until the day I draw that last breath.

As an interesting aside, I drove past a restaurant last week, Bull On The Beach, which is a small chain, and they had a sign that said live music on the billboard. I decided to check it out. Well, live wasn't really live - it was a DJ! You gotta love it. A few weeks later, they closed the doors and a new restaurant moved in called Naughty Dogs.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#427277 - 10/27/16 04:43 PM Re: Up to me? No new arranger [Re: travlin'easy]
Mockie Offline

Loc: Dublin Ireland
Hi Gary, I'm glad to hear that you still play for an hour or so each day. I think that is very healhy and good for your self esteem. I'm not doing too much lately but I still spend at lot of free time doing music at home, from playing and listening to jazz or standards to working out a new french musette piece on my accordion. Like you, music is my life and I really cherish it. We are the lucky ones to be blessed with the gift of music. I dont know how to sail a boat though, I cant figure out how you would operate the sails to go,say,north if the wind is coming from the north. Ah well that is a gift as well.

Best regards
Frank

#427280 - 10/27/16 05:27 PM Re: Up to me? No new arranger [Re: guitpic1]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Thanks Frank. Yes, you can sail into the wind, but only at a 30 to 45 degree angle - not directly. Essentially, it's a zig-zag course toward the destination, but you eventually get there. At my age, it really doesn't make any difference how fast I get there, just as long as I reach that destination. If I wanted to go fast, I would have bought a jet plane. wink

All the best,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#427300 - 10/29/16 11:06 AM Re: Up to me? No new arranger [Re: guitpic1]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Nothing new for me in an Arranger either. Your right, no one knows the differance except you. I would like to try out the Korg everyone is raving about but can't justify the price and I'm too lazy to learn a whole new system.
My BK9 can do the basics I need for live work just fine. I'm still putting in a lot of time fine tuning things but it does cover all the bases for me. Just did a block party under an outdoor Pavillion for about 200 + and had them on the floor for 3 hours straight. Never got to take a break. My JBL 515s were up to 3/4 power, the highest I ever ran them, and they covered the large area nicely. Could of used a sub but no one cared.
For myself I'd rather play just piano and am in the market for a new one. Anyone want a Casio Privia 350 in new condition ?

#427383 - 10/31/16 07:34 AM Re: Up to me? No new arranger [Re: Bill Lewis]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Originally Posted By: Bill Lewis
I would like to try out the Korg everyone is raving about but can't justify the price and I'm too lazy to learn a whole new system.

Hey Bill, find me a night's work in February, and I'll stop by your town on my way to Jacksonville! We can spend a night on the 4x at your place for a day before I continue south!

#427451 - 11/02/16 05:53 AM Re: Up to me? No new arranger [Re: guitpic1]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
HH / Bluffton pretty much shuts down for Jan. / Feb. Been bouncing around trying to find some things to do myself and it's a tough sell. They don't "get" keyboards here, very few keys players out there, and they really don't understand an Arranger. The Block Party I did was a last minute fill in for the band Target. Got the call at 5:45 for a 7 PM start. Threw my stuff in the car and got started by 7:20. Job went fantastic and good thing I had a powerful PA. Did a combo of Keyboard / DJ.
Will it lead to more gigs, who knows, but that's how it goes here. Lots and lots of musicians pushing for the same gigs.
For the mellower solo gigs its guitars, guitars, guitars. Love to find a nice restaurant to do something steady next Season.

#427453 - 11/02/16 06:25 AM Re: Up to me? No new arranger [Re: Bill Lewis]
Dnj Offline

HH / Bluffton pretty much shuts down for Jan. / Feb. Been bouncing around trying to find some things to do myself and it's a tough sell. They don't "get" keyboards here, very few keys players out there, and they really don't understand an Arranger. The Block Party I did was a last minute fill in for the band Target. Got the call at 5:45 for a 7 PM start. Threw my stuff in the car and got started by 7:20. Job went fantastic and good thing I had a powerful PA. Did a combo of Keyboard / DJ.
Will it lead to more gigs, who knows, but that's how it goes here. Lots and lots of musicians pushing for the same gigs.
For the mellower solo gigs its guitars, guitars, guitars. Love to find a nice restaurant to do something steady next Season.

Forget the Bar scene no money there,....people are people anywhere you go,....there will always be private work,....Weddings, Anniversary, Retirement Parties, Baptisms, Confirmation, Bar Mitzvah, Birthdays, Dinner Dances, Family events,Picnics, Golf banquets, Country Clubs, 55+ Communities, Nursing homes, Wedding DJ Showcases, etc, etc, etc, all need entertainment $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Some has to do all this work why shouldn't be you?.....
do some homework, online, newspaper announcements, personal visits, and start making calls....good luck.

#427461 - 11/02/16 10:16 AM Re: Up to me? No new arranger [Re: Bill Lewis]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
they really don't understand an Arranger.

So, let's market it as GUITAR/KEYS duo! Call it a band, and you'll sneak into their mentality! I'll have my guitar, bass and congas with me - lots of possibilities!
smile

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online