SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#427078 - 10/18/16 03:55 AM KN7000 Faulty LCD
K1 & K2 Offline

Loc: Rockhampton, Queensland, Austr...
Hi all,

My KN7 LCD has been getting harder to read as time goes on with everything else on the K/B working good.

My questions are thus:-

1. Has anyone fitted a replacement LCD ?
2. Will I get a clear image by taking a line out from the Video Out socket to an external screen without changing the present LCD ?

Regards

Alan

#427086 - 10/18/16 08:54 AM Re: KN7000 Faulty LCD [Re: K1 & K2]
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Hi Alan, Have you tried altering the 'CONTRAST' settings?
Located near the lower Left corner of the Display.....

#427103 - 10/19/16 04:03 AM Re: KN7000 Faulty LCD [Re: Bill Norrie]
K1 & K2 Offline

Hi Bill,
Yes, I have done that & have set it where the info. is most readable.
The screen looks like it is delaminating (long straight narrow bubble).
I also have a KN5000 with the same problem, & the screen on it has a number of (roundish)bubbles.

Regards

Alan

#427114 - 10/19/16 02:19 PM Re: KN7000 Faulty LCD [Re: K1 & K2]
Bill Norrie Offline

Hi Alan,
Oh! Dear! Now that sounds serious..... I've never come across that problem before. Sounds like replacement is the only option...
You could try a UK Technics Spares source here : info@wdgreenhill.com they may be able to help.....

The fact that you have two displays with the same problem would suggest a possible environmental cause ?
Are your instruments situated in an area which experiences very high temperatures for extended periods ? I know parts of OZ can get very hot.....

It's quite amazing what high temperatures can do... I left some CDs in my conservatory for several years after 'burning' them and forgot about them. When I discovered them earlier this year, I tried playing them and they were virtually useless!

I hasten to add that this only really applies to CDR/CDRW and not the commercially produced CDs, although I have known some to warp when exposed to high temperatures over an extended period...

UPDATE

Found this on : http://www.mcclainsolutions.com/Articles.cfm?Article=865209
Delamination
Delamination results in the formation of bubble(s) on the external surface of the LCD panel. High temperature, humidity, and/ or improper assembly of the LCD panel can cause delamination defects. Generally, air or moisture is trapped between the front polarizer and glass substrate, resulting in the formation of bubbles.

Edited by Bill Norrie (10/19/16 02:44 PM)

#427136 - 10/20/16 04:56 AM Re: KN7000 Faulty LCD [Re: Bill Norrie]
K1 & K2 Offline

Hi Bill,
Thanks for your detailed reply & for the "Delamination site".
I've had a quick read through the information there & was not aware of all of the problems that could be had. It is certainly very informative.

I will print out the info. & check both K/Bs against it.

Yes, we do get very high temperatures & humidity here. Over 40+ C in summer from December to March with up to 90% humidity.
This does not happen everyday, but in some years it can be very persistant.

The K/B does spend a lot of time in my van, & even though it is in a wooden roadcase, this would not be good for it having read the article as the van is often parked in the sun when I'm out & about.

The KN5 suffered the same fate when I was using it.
I will contact "WD Greenhill" & see how I go.

Regards

Alan

#427140 - 10/20/16 07:12 AM Re: KN7000 Faulty LCD [Re: K1 & K2]
Bill Norrie Offline

Hi Alan,
Apologies...I neglected to answer your second question re. an external display.
I have done this in the past, however, unless you can find a Monitor with a Composite Video Input, (Few and far between!) you will probably need a 'box' to convert the KN7000 video output signal (Composite Video) to the VGA standard, which is used on most computer monitors. You can find these devices on the internet. There is a 2 part Demo Video clip on YouTube....
Part 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xe9sWdYDD5I and Part 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4VxZsIvSbs
It demonstrates connection from a Nintendo games console to a VGA monitor but this should equally apply to the KN7000 to VGA Monitor.

#427206 - 10/23/16 11:54 AM Re: KN7000 Faulty LCD [Re: K1 & K2]
kitkat Offline

Loc: United States
Too bad with the timing. A few months ago on eBay, there was a KN7000 LCD monitor for sale. I found it odd that there would be such a listing.

Mark

#427231 - 10/25/16 03:23 AM Re: KN7000 Faulty LCD [Re: kitkat]
K1 & K2 Offline

Hi Bill & Mark,
Yes, I've checked out the video clips.
I can buy a similar "BOX" locally for about AU $50.
A monitor of some sort would then be required to use it with, but the smallest ones are about 19". This would be way too big to use in a live situation.

I have been researching various forums to see what others in this situation have done (PSR S900) & it seems like the simple & popular choice is to buy a "Portable DVD Player" & use it as an external display.

Plug the supplied Composite RCA lead (Yellow) into the KN7 Video out & plug the other end (3.5mm 4 pole plug) into the AV IN on the Portable DVD Player.

Apparently no matter which system you use, some people have had problems to get it to work. It will be a case of trial & error.

I can buy a compatible new LCD from USA with a cost of approx. AU $550 plus shipping. The risk is that there may be other problems with the KN which will need sorting out as well.

I have had a look at various items & options locally & will make a decision soon.

Regards

Alan

#427249 - 10/26/16 02:04 AM Re: KN7000 Faulty LCD [Re: K1 & K2]
Bill Norrie Offline

Hi Alan,
There is a KN7000 display currently available on UK ebay :

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=282233044667
Quoted price is £149 which is about 237 AUD at today's conversion....

Don't know if they would be willing to post to Oz....

#427449 - 11/02/16 04:54 AM Re: KN7000 Faulty LCD [Re: Bill Norrie]
K1 & K2 Offline

Hi Bill,
Since my last post, I've tried my KN7 with the "Video Out" plugged into the "Video In" on my TV with mixed results.
Most of the screen details show up ok, but some of the smaller numbers / letters are very smudgy & indistinct, & impossible to determine. Changing the aspect ratio makes no difference.

I've tried altering the various settings on the TV with no benefit. The KN7 settings have no effect on the TV screen.

As I also have a Tyros 4, I've also hooked it up to the TV as well & the Tyros 4 screen shows up perfectly on the TV.

At a retailer today, I hooked up the KN7 to one of their new TV's & the KN7 screen appeared with the same issues as I had at home.
There appears to be some issue with the KN7 Video Out" & the TV's video inputs: Resolution, Contrast, etc.

I also tried connecting The KN7 "Video Out" to a couple of different brand Portable DVD Players "Video In", & to my surprise both of the DVD's showed either NO SIGNAL or nothing.

The 2nd hand screens are starting to look attractive.

Regards

Alan

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online