SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#426679 - 10/05/16 04:52 AM Power supply match
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Hello everyone, I have a Yamaha NP-31 keyboard. It does not have styles, just basically a digital piano. The power supply I bought for it years ago is a Yamaha brand PA-150; that is what it called for. It also can use batteries. I cannot find a power supply that looks like the current photo online of the PA-150 power supply. Viewing the photo, it is stamped with Yamaha brand and has the model number PA-150 stamped on it.

The power supply I find (that was near the keyboard in the storage room) that is about that size is branded Live Wire Solutions, looks like model PS03. I have no idea what this is for. I will blame my brother, lol, months ago, he used my keyboard. And didn't ask; that never happens! All I found was an empty box for the power supply in my gig bag. But the power supply I found near the keyboard in the storage room is about that 'size' but the specs do not match.

Yamaha PA-150:
Input AC voltage 120V 60Hz
Output DC12V 1.5A

Live Wire Solutions:
Input AC 120V 60Hz
Output DC10V 700mA

Will the Live Wire one work, what are the risks? Sorry, I am ignorant on things electronic.

#426689 - 10/05/16 06:18 AM Re: Power supply match [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
Dnj Offline

#426694 - 10/05/16 08:42 AM Re: Power supply match [Re: Dnj]
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA

Thanks, if I were to replace, I would buy Yamaha, as it's only $3 more. But I am not looking to replace.

I am hoping to get info from someone who understands electronics as to whether the mentioned power supply will work. I don't want to damage the keyboard. The original Yamaha power supply is likely somewhere around here, just haven't found it.

#426702 - 10/05/16 09:58 AM Re: Power supply match [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I don't think it will work. You can overpower but not underpower. Maybe Gary will weigh in.

#426707 - 10/05/16 10:48 AM Re: Power supply match [Re: DonM]
Torch Offline

I donated a new NP31 in a country where 220v is used. I forgot to bring the Yamaha AC adapter, but it was easy to find a replacement. When you look for a placement power supply, the voltage must match always, but on the ampere, you can go higher but not under. That's why the one on Amazon will work but not the Live Wire Solutions you found. Also, polarity should be always checked. If I remember correctly, just about all Roland power supplies are center negative. With Yamaha center positive. You might want to get a multi tip/multi voltage power supply on eBay which can be used for many devices.
"You Shall Know the Truth, and the Truth will set you free." John 8:32

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online