SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#426304 - 09/18/16 02:44 PM (Korg) Converting BIAB styles to keyboard?
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi,
Gone back to an old project , trying to convert band in a box styles to korg.
Tried it originally for pa800 over on the Korg forums a few years back. But very mixed results, and gave up. They don't always lend themselves to 2/4/8 bar patterns on a keyboard.

Band in a Box styles are mainly made up of Jazz, Rock and Country.

Slightly more familiar with jazz than , country or rock,
decided to try a Slow Jazz Ballad ,cocktail piano feel about it.
Just finishing it off for the pa4x.

If there's any pa3x users, that might use this type of style I can convert it across.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#426305 - 09/18/16 03:06 PM Re: (Korg) Converting BIAB styles to keyboard? [Re: rikkisbears]
MOMBOC Offline

Are you using EMC Music Software's "Styles to the Box" program to do the conversion or are you transferring the styles manually?

http://www.emc-musicsoftware.com/epages/...ucts/sttbx_0001

#426307 - 09/18/16 04:25 PM Re: (Korg) Converting BIAB styles to keyboard? [Re: MOMBOC]
rikkisbears Offline

Originally Posted By: MOMBOC
Are you using EMC Music Software's "Styles to the Box" program to do the conversion or are you transferring the styles manually?

Hi,
No, I prefer to do my various style type conversions manually from midi files

Even though I have EMC ( first got it when it came out in the early 90's ) and I have band in a box conversion add on, I prefer to have more control over what gets converted.

There are some style phrases in the band in a box styles, that don't lend themselves for use in keyboard styles. Biab dumbs them down, doesn't alway work.

I actually decided to try something different this time round, the jazz ballad style I'm testing I actually edited the the biab style first ie stopped unsuitable phrases being generated.

The good part about biab styles when generated for a song, it's not repetitive like a keyboard ie loops every 2, 4, 8bars
so for my cocktail piano type style I did 32 bar variations.
Pressing a fill will move you on to next variation.
Unfortunately the midi drum track is a bit repetitive ( it's actually a style that uses audio drums, but they include a simple midi pattern too)
but works ok.

Sort of doing it as a test style using Bewitched to check it against.

If it works might try some others.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#426315 - 09/18/16 09:38 PM Re: (Korg) Converting BIAB styles to keyboard? [Re: rikkisbears]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: rikkisbears
Originally Posted By: MOMBOC

Hi,
No, I prefer to do my various style type conversions manually from midi files

Even though I have EMC ( first got it when it came out in the early 90's ) and I have band in a box conversion add on, I prefer to have more control over what gets converted.

There are some style phrases in the band in a box styles, that don't lend themselves for use in keyboard styles. Biab dumbs them down, doesn't alway work.

I actually decided to try something different this time round, the jazz ballad style I'm testing I actually edited the the biab style first ie stopped unsuitable phrases being generated.

The good part about biab styles when generated for a song, it's not repetitive like a keyboard ie loops every 2, 4, 8bars
so for my cocktail piano type style I did 32 bar variations.
Pressing a fill will move you on to next variation.
Unfortunately the midi drum track is a bit repetitive ( it's actually a style that uses audio drums, but they include a simple midi pattern too)
but works ok.

Sort of doing it as a test style using Bewitched to check it against.

If it works might try some others.

You can slice the audio drum and generate midi from that in the PA4x, that way you have the orriginal drum track..

http://keyszone.boards.net

#426333 - 09/19/16 04:25 PM Re: (Korg) Converting BIAB styles to keyboard? [Re: Bachus]
rikkisbears Offline

Originally Posted By: Bachus
You can slice the audio drum and generate midi from that in the PA4x, that way you have the orriginal drum track..

Thanks Bachus,
suppose I could try that again.
I avoid audio if I share, it can get messy.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online