SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#426128 - 09/13/16 02:44 PM Portable PA systems
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
Over the past 10years, regarding portable PA systems, I've owned and used JBL, Bose, CenterPoint, Yamaha, HK Nano, Mackie and Fender. I've also tested out numerous other systems.

Truth is, at entry level price point($500 - $2,500 or more/less?) I'm thinking they are all good.

The systems I've tried out all sound good. The bigger trade off issues are inputs and weight for what you get.

Perhaps we live n a golden age of small PA systems?

Edited by guitpic1 (09/13/16 03:03 PM)

#426131 - 09/13/16 07:00 PM Re: Portable PA systems [Re: guitpic1]
shueymusic Offline

Loc: Lebanon, PA
For me, it comes down to circumstance. Budget, how are you using your PA, weight, quality of sound, etc.

I've used MTX, Mackie, Yorkville, JBL, Peavey, EV, Yamaha, RCF, Alesis, Logitech...They all taught me something and served their purpose!

The current lineup of small and powerful PA systems are just awesome!!
Yamaha Genos - RCF M20x - RCF HD10A (Stereo) - Jupiter Pocket Trumpet - Sennheiser e935 - Neumann KMS-104 plus-N

#426160 - 09/14/16 04:14 PM Re: Portable PA systems [Re: guitpic1]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
So which one "rings your bell" ?

#426175 - 09/15/16 11:58 AM Re: Portable PA systems [Re: Bill Lewis]
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
Originally Posted By: Bill Lewis
So which one "rings your bell" ?

Currently using JBL Eon One and Centerpoint SSV.3.

#426176 - 09/15/16 02:57 PM Re: Portable PA systems [Re: guitpic1]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Saturday morning I've been asked to do a couple of songs at a funeral of one of my close friends. I will take the Nano 300 system, and not have to move my Maui 5s. They requested My Way, and an Elvis gospel song. I will do Peace In The Valley. I think I'll record both songs ahead of time because I'm afraid I'll be too choked up.
Anyway, situations such as this are why I keep extra systems.

#426181 - 09/15/16 04:41 PM Re: Portable PA systems [Re: guitpic1]
frankieve Offline

Loc: Milford, CT, USA
I think the LD maui 5 based on its price and size, and sound is a clear winner. Bose compact is close but much more expensive.

the Nano 300 is a bit more expensive, but more of a pronounced sound.

Then other than the HK elements, or the RCF Evox series, there are no clear winners

#426222 - 09/16/16 11:13 AM Re: Portable PA systems [Re: guitpic1]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Frank
Have you heard or tested the JBL EON ONE. Seems to be a winner in that range of systems based on the specs.

#426323 - 09/19/16 11:23 AM Re: Portable PA systems [Re: guitpic1]
frankieve Offline

Loc: Milford, CT, USA
A customer came in Friday with the JBL Eon One, and he set-it up and we A/B'ed it again the Nano 608i, let me start by saying I have never been a fan of the JBL sound, I always thought it was a bit too aggressive, and listening fatigue would happen very fast for me.

I did not say a word to the customer, I let him play for about an hour, after that hour he thanked me, packed up his Eon One and we talked about prices, he then packed up his car and left, he came back an hour later, he had gone to Guitar Center and returned the Eon One, and took the 608i.

His words, " the HK sounded much more musical, and the ability to eq, and add compression to each channel, then have an overall eq with the ability to save presets, makes this a keeper for years"

He felt that the Eon one was a great idea, and a good sounding unit, but once against the Nano, he said again his words. " its like that same chinese sound I hear in allot of speakers, but there was more musicality and warmth with the Nano "

#426324 - 09/19/16 12:01 PM Re: Portable PA systems [Re: guitpic1]
Dnj Offline

Frank nice review I agree with your assessment and feel the same with my past experiences with the JBL sound..good product just not for me ..

#426326 - 09/19/16 01:32 PM Re: Portable PA systems [Re: frankieve]
Torch Offline

1.Does the Nano 608i use the same stand as the 300?
2. How doe the 608i with vocal? I liked the Nano 300 for muic but for vocal parts.

Thanks,
Chris

Originally Posted By: frankieve
A customer came in Friday with the JBL Eon One, and he set-it up and we A/B'ed it again the Nano 608i, let me start by saying I have never been a fan of the JBL sound, I always thought it was a bit too aggressive, and listening fatigue would happen very fast for me.

I did not say a word to the customer, I let him play for about an hour, after that hour he thanked me, packed up his Eon One and we talked about prices, he then packed up his car and left, he came back an hour later, he had gone to Guitar Center and returned the Eon One, and took the 608i.

His words, " the HK sounded much more musical, and the ability to eq, and add compression to each channel, then have an overall eq with the ability to save presets, makes this a keeper for years"

He felt that the Eon one was a great idea, and a good sounding unit, but once against the Nano, he said again his words. " its like that same chinese sound I hear in allot of speakers, but there was more musicality and warmth with the Nano "

"You Shall Know the Truth, and the Truth will set you free." John 8:32

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online