SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#424871 - 08/16/16 07:28 AM R U Musically or Technically Challenged Or Both
Dnj Offline

R U Musically or Technically Challenged Or Both?.....years ago before all this electronic instrument stuff we played our instruments & sang and didn't have to worry about all this technological stuff we have today,....it was fun it was very creative it was making music,....
Today with all these new fangled high tech arranger keyboards, computer driven instruments of every kind you not only have to be a good player but, also a computer scientist also.
Has this effected your playing?....can you deal with it all as it changes so fast? ....do you wish it was easier or just wanna sit down and just play a piano or guitar without worrying about setups, styles, buttons, tweaking, variations, etc, etc, ..?
Not everyone can adapt to it all especially if your "old school" but you try......that's a good thing. Do you stay with what you have comfortably or hope & venture into the future of whats coming all NEW challenges included? and why?....
ok I'm done ranting ........ cool2

#424877 - 08/16/16 08:38 AM Re: R U Musically or Technically Challenged Or Both [Re: Dnj]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Donny ... go start a hobby that gets you out of the house! You're on the computer too much! smile
Stop playing devils advocate so much, and do something FUN!
(you know I love, ya, bud)

#424878 - 08/16/16 08:40 AM Re: R U Musically or Technically Challenged Or Both [Re: Dnj]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I think this IS an arranger forum. Embrace the technology and use it to make music.

#424881 - 08/16/16 08:52 AM Re: R U Musically or Technically Challenged Or Both [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

I can understand our generation is split between the old ways and new technology wise.
Today's musician has to be both a player and a technician no doubt on stage or at home.
I know people who don't even own a computer or cell phone but can play their asses off...
& that's my point. KORG, Yamaha, Roland, Ketron who cares just freaking play music!!

btw Dave love you too man always see ya soon!!

#424887 - 08/16/16 10:18 AM Re: R U Musically or Technically Challenged Or Both [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Dave, I've been trying to get Donny to come down and go sailing for two years - the boat is less than 2 hours from his house - haven't seen hide nor hair of him yet! wink

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#424888 - 08/16/16 10:32 AM Re: R U Musically or Technically Challenged Or Both [Re: travlin'easy]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Good topic, Donny. Were talking about "necessary evil", in my world. Daily, I have to use still cameras, motion equipment, computer programming for research, publishing, film editing, monitors, phones, notebooks, all kinds of musical keyboards; even the amplifiers Some with a 100 page book and a requirement for downloads, etc.

If I read every instruction sheet and became competent on every piece of equipment I have to use, I'd NEVER get any work done. there's no end in site.

I have to be satisfied to JUST learn what I have to know to get my work done and leave everything else to a technician who is involved in production but not the creative side.

That leaves me vulnerable and dependent on others.

I don't like that.

Russ

#424890 - 08/16/16 11:11 AM Re: R U Musically or Technically Challenged Or Both [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: travlin'easy
Dave, I've been trying to get Donny to come down and go sailing for two years - the boat is less than 2 hours from his house - haven't seen hide nor hair of him yet! wink
Gary cool

Gary I so appreciate the invite and as you well know I have visited in the past a few times also you & Carol are such gracious hosts,.....but as far as "sailing" some of us aren't cut out for the high seas including me..I get sea sick very quickly its happened many times to me when I played on Cruise ships years ago, or travailing on vacation, etc, & it ain't pretty....seeing your pics and videos is good enough for me to get the feeling of being there,....Flying or Driving I can handle but I just don't have good sea legs, that why I joined the Army in stead of the Navy as a kid.
But, I will venture to see you again when I can for a day of crabs, BBQ, Drinks, and socializing for sure!! cool2

#424891 - 08/16/16 11:13 AM Re: R U Musically or Technically Challenged Or Both [Re: captain Russ]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: captain Russ
Good topic, Donny. Were talking about "necessary evil", in my world. Daily, I have to use still cameras, motion equipment, computer programming for research, publishing, film editing, monitors, phones, notebooks, all kinds of musical keyboards; even the amplifiers Some with a 100 page book and a requirement for downloads, etc.

If I read every instruction sheet and became competent on every piece of equipment I have to use, I'd NEVER get any work done. there's no end in site.

I have to be satisfied to JUST learn what I have to know to get my work done and leave everything else to a technician who is involved in production but not the creative side.
That leaves me vulnerable and dependent on others.
I don't like that.
Russ

Yes I hear you Russ us OLD DOGS have to learn NEW Tricks all the time weather we like it or not...good luck in your endeavors!

#424905 - 08/16/16 02:03 PM Re: R U Musically or Technically Challenged Or Both [Re: Dnj]
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Just want to give a shout out to Bruno, here on the Zone. I was using an android tablet to call up lyrics when needed. The tablet died. Bruno to the rescue.
He introduced me to Onsong, which only works on iPad or iPhone (not a problem for me) and it doesn't require files to be in .pdf format...all mine are .doc.

After creating a set list of registrations on the S-970 with a corresponding set of lyrics on the iPad it provided me the ability to get from one song to the next in two moves.
1. One push of a reg button on Yammie, and 2. A swipe of the finger on the iPad if I needed a lyric for one of the songs in the registrations.

I haven't been using set lists and still won't for a lot of jobs....but when I want to, Bruno's recommendation of Onsong and my custom yammie registrations make it a snap.

Thank you Bruno
Eddie

#424906 - 08/16/16 02:55 PM Re: R U Musically or Technically Challenged Or Both [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

Eddie why aren't the lyrics synced to the song registrations select song push lyrics button done no tablets etc..

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online