SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#42462 - 04/07/02 08:23 PM A music question...
Mike Daniell Offline

Loc: Brisbane, Qld, Australia
I know there are many fine musos amongst the contributors to this forum, especially when I listen to the music you have recorded, so maybe someone can advise me on a composing/arranging matter.

If I work on a piece that basically I want to play through three times, changing sounds and rhythm variations progressively, I would like to play some kind of bridge before coming in for the third time. I know that the Pad 5 (or 6 if minor key) often provides something suitable, but what I want advice on is how to go about writing my own bridge (is 'bridge' the right word?). For example, should it be based on a standard chord progression? Any tips on how the melody of the bridge relates / does not relate to the melody of the song?

What do the pro's do?

Thanks,
Mike

#42463 - 04/08/02 01:03 AM Re: A music question...
technicsplayer Offline

if you look in the blue book, the chord progressions of the preset pad 5 and 6 are pretty standard, and give a good idea.

obviously the most important thing is to end on a suitable lead in chord for the melody, eg G7 if in C.

for the melody, try turning the existing melody upside down!!! it will sound weird but a little playing around with the first few notes often comes up with something fresh that works.

#42464 - 04/08/02 11:38 AM Re: A music question...
Ted Rose Offline

Loc: United States
Mike: The former response is a good one. If you are familiar with the I, II, V sequence of chords (i.e. I = home or base chord, II = second note of scale in minor 7th chord form, and V = dominant 7th chord), all V chords generally lead back to I--for example, in the key of C, I = C, II = Dm7 and V = G7. So, since most tunes end on the home or base chord (e.g. in the key of C, usually the last chord is C or C6), then you can generally play the V chord and begin your song again. When you want to slide into another key, a similar idea can be used, always using the V chord of the key you want to move to to slide into the new key/song, (although sometimes moving from one key to another requires a chord or two between the final base chord of the first key and the new V chord of the next key to make a smooth transition into the next V chord of the new key). Hope this doesn't confuse you; somehow I find it easier to DO than to explain!!!! Let me know how it works for you either here in the Forum or via e-mail. Good luck and happy playing.

Ted Rose

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Daniell:
I know there are many fine musos amongst the contributors to this forum, especially when I listen to the music you have recorded, so maybe someone can advise me on a composing/arranging matter.

If I work on a piece that basically I want to play through three times, changing sounds and rhythm variations progressively, I would like to play some kind of bridge before coming in for the third time. I know that the Pad 5 (or 6 if minor key) often provides something suitable, but what I want advice on is how to go about writing my own bridge (is 'bridge' the right word?). For example, should it be based on a standard chord progression? Any tips on how the melody of the bridge relates / does not relate to the melody of the song?

What do the pro's do?

Thanks,
Mike

[This message has been edited by Ted Rose (edited 04-08-2002).]

#42465 - 04/08/02 07:32 PM Re: A music question...
Mike Daniell Offline

Loc: Brisbane, Qld, Australia
Thanks for your replies, Alec and Ted. Now you mention it, Alec, I remember seeing those chord progressions in the blue book.

I'll have a go with these suggestions this evening.

Regards,
Mike

#42466 - 04/08/02 08:20 PM Re: A music question...
lrngkybrd Offline

Loc: Queen Creek, Arizona
I think I am missing something here. What is the blue book?

#42467 - 04/08/02 08:39 PM Re: A music question...
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
Quote:
Originally posted by lrngkybrd:
I think I am missing something here. What is the blue book?

I think the reference is to the Blue Book that came with your keyboard
SX-KN---- Reference Guide
The kn6000 guide is a 44 page book 8.5 x 11
BEBOP

#42468 - 04/09/02 01:09 PM Re: A music question...
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Blue Book? What Blue Book ? I certainly didn't get one with my KN6000

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#42469 - 04/09/02 01:24 PM Re: A music question...
technicsplayer Offline

It should have been sealed in the packaging with the owners manual and guarantee card, Bill.

#42470 - 04/09/02 01:42 PM Re: A music question...
Anonymous
Unregistered

This is the book which you should have with all the suggested song titles for each style.plus lots more useful information like tone lists etc.
Quote:
Originally posted by technicsplayer:
It should have been sealed in the packaging with the owners manual and guarantee card, Bill.

[This message has been edited by peter.bentley@talk21.com (edited 04-09-2002).]

#42471 - 04/10/02 01:40 PM Re: A music question...
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Thanks for the info - I certainly did not receive one with my keyboard and the package was not opened. My KN6000 was probably one of the first in UK - or so I was told - maybe the Blue Book was not included with the first few ?
One of our regular forum members has very kindly offered to lend me his copy so that I can have a look at it and 'extract' any useful information. (expect my scanner may be busy! )

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online