SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#424594 - 08/09/16 03:15 PM It happened again last night...
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
This happens a couple of times a year. I came back from a break and this lady was adjusting a music stand. She had placed music on it and on my keyboard. she had taken my mic out of the holder and placed it on the stool in front of the music stand.

She basically told me, "my son is going to do XYZ" for our family and friends here". She didn't ask, just assumed that, since she is a dues paying member of the club, the "hired help"
(that includes me) would do anything they're told. It (the song) was a damn show tune, completely inappropriate at that time for a quiet dining room with 100 people in it. When I said the tune wasn't appropriate at that time, but that we'd try it later, she got in a huff and went to call the manager.

Another thing that happens even more often; someone will walk up with a little case of some kind (guitar, trumpet, sax, flute....whatever), begin to take the instrument out and start to play at will, without any idea of the key, lead line; whatever. Then, they want to call tunes, which means that they want to play the few they know in the damn country key they learned it (them) in.

You can guess what I do. How would you handle the situation?

Russ (hard-a**) Lay

#424596 - 08/09/16 03:28 PM Re: It happened again last night... [Re: captain Russ]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
That's when I would change my position on gun laws smile smile.

chas

#424604 - 08/09/16 04:17 PM Re: It happened again last night... [Re: cgiles]
captain Russ Offline

Hey, man, how are you? Wish I'd listened to you....the Citycom is OK, but WAY under powered.

Let's talk soon!

R.

#424610 - 08/09/16 04:32 PM Re: It happened again last night... [Re: captain Russ]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Russ, we definitely play in different circles - that has never happened to me in all the years I've been on stage.

Good Luck,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#424612 - 08/09/16 04:55 PM Re: It happened again last night... [Re: captain Russ]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Russ
I hear you, been there. I've done my share of private clubs and at some you ARE just the help. They feel they can tell you what to do at any time and your equipment is property of the club.
I always try to be polite and explain that if something were pre-arranged perhaps we could do it. If they insist ( 3 martini rule ) I let them make an ass of themselves.
My rule always was the nicer the place the worse you will be treated. Go in, do the job, get paid, get out.
Since your a regular and pretty respected ther perhaps a talk with the manager and defer those people to him. He could polielty explain its not club policy to have "cold" sit ins.

#424614 - 08/09/16 05:08 PM Re: It happened again last night... [Re: Bill Lewis]
captain Russ Offline

Gary, that isn't a surprise. From what I've heard, your material is for entertaining; not the kind that would encourage "sit-in's" and encourage extended, extemporaneous solos, trading fours, etc.

Different, for sure. My audience is 25% other musicians most nights. If they can really play, "come on"! If they can't "don't waste my time and embarrass yourself"!

Pretty old school, but I worked too hard to learn what I do, and not showing respect for the material and art form in general is an absolute "NO NO"!

Sorry, but this one hit my "hot" button.

Russ

#424619 - 08/09/16 07:31 PM Re: It happened again last night... [Re: captain Russ]
J. Larry Offline

Loc: University, MS 38677 USA
I’ve had a few cases of folks wanting to sit-in in the middle of the gig. Usually, it’s singers, not other players. In my case, often the boss’ daughter (with a graduate degree in vocal music) will walk up to the keyboard in the middle of an instrumental tune and start singing along. No problem, here, since it’s for one or two songs, not the entire night.

#424622 - 08/09/16 08:27 PM Re: It happened again last night... [Re: Bill Lewis]
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Originally Posted By: Bill Lewis

My rule always was the nicer the place the worse you will be treated. Go in, do the job, get paid, get out.

Never thought of that before...but yeah...come to think of it now, it was pretty much the case when I was doing some of the Palm Beachy type country clubs and hotels.
Eddie

#424625 - 08/09/16 11:18 PM Re: It happened again last night... [Re: captain Russ]
Jerryghr Offline

Loc: Buffalo, NY
Just tell the uninvited performer you're in the Musicians Union,and you will be fined if you perform with non union people. smile

#424638 - 08/10/16 07:39 AM Re: It happened again last night... [Re: Jerryghr]
musicforyourday Offline

Loc: So California, USA
Russ it happens too me all the time , I have a strict rule to say no unless i know the person , i do have support of management on this once in a while i will let someone come up but got to know tthem and the got to have good chops or no go .

it take a while to build room to where i want it and it always when i got it at it peek last saturday it happened some guy in a tux walked up to me and requested a song and I said i can do it for you he says no I want too he had a $5 in his hand when i said not at this time he got a bit huffy with me i told him to out the 5 back in his pocket and sit down .

all i need is some hack killing my room .

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online