SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#423555 - 07/17/16 06:55 AM Re: Is your arranger just laying there in the closet ? [Re: Mockie]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Mockie

I understand Donny's feelings about the band days. But it's not the making of music with a live band only, he's missing, he is probably missing "the good old days" when everything seemed perfect. He's missing the social aspect of being with guys or girls in a band. He is missing lots of things associated with being younger.He is also missing playing a Hammond B3
I think most of us musicians feel the same way, but bear in mind we've all had a great time with our beloved music
I would say to Donny, leave the arranger in the closet sometimes and get the odd gig with a drummer, any type of gig and all the old feelings will comeback.

As Gary said earlier, "I miss the stage"

Donny, I am assuming you are not a millionaire (maybe you are) remember that you still need to earn money to pay the bills or buy that new arranger.
Donny, I'd say most of us here are with you on your thoughts.
Frank

Frank top of the morning to ya and THANKYOU for the great reply and words of encouragement It really sunk in & was spot on.
It's nights like this on stage that keep me going..... cool2

Attachments
16 - 1.jpg

#423606 - 07/19/16 07:37 AM Re: Is your arranger just laying there in the closet ? [Re: Dnj]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Wow ... that looks like heaven's waiting room!
wink

(kidding, of course - I play for lots of crowds that look just like that! )

#423609 - 07/19/16 08:07 AM Re: Is your arranger just laying there in the closet ? [Re: Uncle Dave]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By: Uncle Dave
wink

At least most of them are on the dance floor ... bluesbros

#423610 - 07/19/16 08:17 AM Re: Is your arranger just laying there in the closet ? [Re: tony mads usa]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
On jazz jobs the audience is 20's to 80's. I guess it's the type of music.

I'm older than most here, and my audiences are younger than this one, for sure.

Russ

#423611 - 07/19/16 08:49 AM Re: Is your arranger just laying there in the closet ? [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Looks like my kind of audience as well - they're up dancing, enjoying the evening and loving life. I guess the younger audiences, especially those that are jazz aficionados, don't dance, or at least that's the way it appeared to me when I stopped by at the few jazz clubs that are still around in Baltimore.

All the best,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#423612 - 07/19/16 09:26 AM Re: Is your arranger just laying there in the closet ? [Re: travlin'easy]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By: travlin'easy
... I guess the younger audiences, especially those that are jazz aficionados, don't dance, ...
All the best,
Gary cool

Right, people of ALL ages who go to a 'jazz club' go to LISTEN TO music, not dance to it ... it is more about music appreciation ...
One problem I hear mentioned is that there aren't places to go to for the 60 +++ crowd that still loves to dance ...
I've looked into trying to rent a hall and run dance nights like Donny did (does?) in NJ, but it is such a hassle with insurance, 'cabaret' licenses, etc., etc. ...

#423613 - 07/19/16 10:43 AM Re: Is your arranger just laying there in the closet ? [Re: Uncle Dave]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Uncle Dave
wink

55 and over Dave, ......just sayin' wink ...lol

#423614 - 07/19/16 10:49 AM Re: Is your arranger just laying there in the closet ? [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: travlin'easy
Looks like my kind of audience as well - they're up dancing, enjoying the evening and loving life. re.
All the best,
Gary cool

Gary knows what I'm talkin' about!! cool2
keep em dancing ALL night long!

Edited by Dnj (07/19/16 10:51 AM)

#423615 - 07/19/16 10:57 AM Re: Is your arranger just laying there in the closet ? [Re: Dnj]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
This just reinforces the differences between players and audiences here.

Thankfully, there's (just barely) enough to go round.

It's really cool when there's a 50 year age spread (or more) between people who come to hear you. That's really common on hard line jazz gigs.

Just wish jazz listeners would drink a little more (they don't). Wish some jazz sidemen would drink considerably less!

Russ

#423620 - 07/19/16 01:43 PM Re: Is your arranger just laying there in the closet ? [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

in today's world one drink and your over the limit and will get arrested if stopped driving...
alcohol only blurrs the senses IMO,...I wanna hear & play music with a clear sober head and enjoy it.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online