SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#423528 - 07/16/16 08:46 AM Re: Is your arranger just laying there in the closet ? [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Donny, I may have retired, but my keyboard didn't! I still play it daily, for at least an hour, sometimes more, if for nothing else, because I sincerely love to play and sing. Sure, I had lots of fun with the band, but the aggravation factor was always a problem. All but one of my bandmates has long since passed away, we kept in contact long after the band broke up and remained friends until the days the died. I really miss being on stage (guess I'll always be a big ham) and if my health allowed, I would still be there, but alas, I'm now relegated to being a studio player, but as long as I'm alive, that keyboard will never see the darkness of the closet-NEVER!

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#423529 - 07/16/16 09:00 AM Re: Is your arranger just laying there in the closet ? [Re: Dnj]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
I think that as we get older, 'fun' or 'having fun' starts to take a back seat to (boring) things like practicality, functionality, convenience, easy (to setup, learn), quick results, etc. Of course, most of us angrily reject that because we want to cling to the notion that we're as adventuresome as ever and still 'young at heart'. Once in awhile we'll try to recapture those glorious 'fun-filled' days of our youth by doing things like forming a 'tribute' band (but rarely learn more than ten of their 'greatest hits' smile ).

If you feel this way Donny, and you can afford to take the financial hit, you should go ahead and do it, get it out of your system, and then go back to the less fun-filled endeavor of making a living. I must admit that I'm a little supprised hearing this from you, though, as I always got the impression you were a 'money first' kind of guy. Mid-life crisis? smile smile

chas

#423530 - 07/16/16 09:55 AM Re: Is your arranger just laying there in the closet ? [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

Chas all good points..... Health issues.... Mid life crisis... Curiosity.... Boredom.... Knowing when enough is enough.... All of the above contribute..... Nothing a stiff drink and a walk on the boardwalk can't cure.... Sometimes you just want to be in the seats not on the stage, playing will always be a part of me ... Just sayin!

Edited by Dnj (07/16/16 09:58 AM)

#423533 - 07/16/16 12:58 PM Re: Is your arranger just laying there in the closet ? [Re: Dnj]
J. Larry Offline

Loc: University, MS 38677 USA
I tend to agree with Don’s way of thinking. It’s still fun to play with a group, but the solo routine less complicated. One of my biggest gripes with a group is having to play and tell other band members the chord changes, while the song is in progress.

#423537 - 07/16/16 02:51 PM Re: Is your arranger just laying there in the closet ? [Re: Dnj]
Happy Birthday tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By: Dnj

sometimes I just wanna go back to playing KB with a band and go buy a Hammond SK 73.... keys

Yeah, Donny ... now you're TALKIN' !!! ... and like chas, I am surprised to hear this from you ...
the happiest 26 years of my musical 'career' were spent playing gigs with 4 good friends who were good musicians and great guys ... and I regret the fact that my '9 - 5' at the time caused me to relocate to RI and leave that group behind ... now, would we be playing still today? ... with all of us in our mid 70's, I kind of doubt that we could be competing with the 'power' weddings bands in the NY area today - but with today's technology, who knows? ... I am just happy that I get to play a few of gigs a year with the sax player and guitar player, both of whom live in NJ ...

This past week I saw a good 50's group - 5 vocalists - 4 guys, 1 gal,- plus a drummer, KB player, and a friend of mine whom I have also gigged with a number of times, who plays sax/flute/guitar/blues harmonica ... I couldn't help thinking how I would LOVE to play with that group ...

PS ... my KB will NEVER end up in the closet, either ... keys

Edited by tony mads usa (07/16/16 02:53 PM)

#423542 - 07/16/16 05:17 PM Re: Is your arranger just laying there in the closet ? [Re: tony mads usa]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
I think that once you've done it (played music with others) you never really want to do it any other way.

I'm lucky. I get to play everything from a single to 12 pieces...everything from solo guitar (no vocals) to 5 keyboards and vibes.

There's nothing this professor of interpersonal communication knows of that beats the unspoken exchange between musicians of the same background and ability as they play in perfect time, without saying a word.

In my world, playing an arranger "ain't even close".

That being said, I don't tolerate the infighting, pettiness, drinking, etc. all of us have encountered.

One warning and the offender is "outta here". I make sure that, whatever the offender was doing, we can replace the effort with left handed bass, keys playing guitar parts, etc.

This is a business for me and I run it like one.

Russ

#423545 - 07/16/16 07:52 PM Re: Is your arranger just laying there in the closet ? [Re: captain Russ]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Playing with a band and playing an arranger keyboard is not a fair comparison. Both have negatives and positives. For most of us our choice to play with a band or a keyboard was made by conditions.

As a OMB I have control of all that I feel is important; most of the time this is not so with a band. Tempo, song selection, the style – and the list goes on. So what’s so great about playing other guys? What’s the big deal? Why would someone put up with rehearsals and having to do it their way?

I left my band about 45 years ago. A few years after I started doing a OMB. It was great, I had it all my way –and sound of my Yamaha keyboard was good. So what did I lose in the trade-off?

1-The only new ideas had to come from me.
2-I had no one o share an exciting moment with.
3-That electric feeling when you flying high and get a feeling you can not explain.
4-Have musician friends gave me the opportunity to enjoy what I was doing better.
5-Many times the music and sharing did not stop when the job was over. I remember rolling out the upright piano at 2AM and we played for ourselves until 5AM. After the New Years Eve job we went to the all night dinner with our wives/girls friends and talked about the job we just finished.

Playing and being alone is playing and being alone – Amen!

But then I was 30, 40 50 years old, it is different now. I am happy to be involved with music; it is a gift. Do I spend time thinking about what I gave up? No way. Nor do I spend time worry that I can run as fast as I did or what I am allowed to eat.
I am happy with my Pa900, Kn7000, KMA, and eight guitars. And I am still finding jobs to play. Will I keep on playing? That depends on how I am able set up my wheel chair and my oxygen cylinder so it does not interfere with my keyboard. (Grin)

Life is good, John C.

Sorry I got a bit carried away with this one.

#423546 - 07/16/16 09:32 PM Re: Is your arranger just laying there in the closet ? [Re: cgiles]
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: cgiles
I think that as we get older, 'fun' or 'having fun' starts to take a back seat to (boring) things like practicality, functionality, convenience, easy (to setup, learn), quick results, etc. Of course, most of us angrily reject that because we want to cling to the notion that we're as adventuresome as ever and still 'young at heart'. Once in awhile we'll try to recapture those glorious 'fun-filled' days of our youth by doing things like forming a 'tribute' band (but rarely learn more than ten of their 'greatest hits' smile ).

I read this this morning and have been thinking about it all day. Yes, I still have the same dreams I had when I was younger.....put together a variety show and call it "Mark's Good-Time Hour," learn to play like Jerry Lee Lewis and become a R&R star, put together a multi-keyboard setup and do lectures on how music is made in today's era, find a female vocalist and do duets from the great musicals, etc. And that's as far as it goes these last few years. As Roy Orbison sang: "In Dreams"

Chas said: "Once in awhile we'll (I will) try to recapture those glorious 'fun-filled' days of our (my) youth, but........it doesn't go beyond a temporary daydream. If I took the time to think about it, I'd have to admit I just don't have the fire anymore. But, to be fair, I think a lot of it has to do with playing to today's audiences. They have no respect, short attention spans, obsessions with their smart-phones, and an ever-increasing need for the music to become much more than just music, i.e you've got to knock yourself out to put on a bigger and better show than the next person, which translates to lights, pyrotechnics, dance routines, screaming and shouting, etc. As someone said: "people listen with their eyes nowadays and not their ears."

Meantime I fool myself practicing my Jerry Lee Lewis licks daily and thinking "one day............"

I'm glad Chas posted this and more glad that it didn't slip by me!

And BTW, I read this in a book:

Life is a succession of "good-byes." As the years go on, you'll be saying good-bye to both people (through moving, change or death), and things (youth, that athletic body you once had, hair, prized possessions, etc).

I added "musical instruments" "good health" and "enthusiasm" to the "things."

#423547 - 07/16/16 09:46 PM Re: Is your arranger just laying there in the closet ? [Re: Mark79100]
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
I played with bands for about 5 years before I went solo. Yes, it was great in the beginning, but the dynamics started getting to me. Who didn't want to learn new songs, who brought family problems with them onto the bandstand, who wanted to take a smoke out in the back and set a new standard for long breaks, who would have "one too many," who wasn't open to making arrangements out of songs instead of just playing them, etc.

One day out of the clear blue sky, I was walking down the street and stopped to look in the window of the new music store that just opened. There it was. Probably the world's first drum machine. A Maestro Rhythm King. The answer to my dilemma.

Maestro Rhythm King

I bought it and never looked back. Been doing solo ever since and am happy to be in control of my music now.

The only downside is you don't really get better the way you do when playing with a band and working off of other players.

#423553 - 07/17/16 03:52 AM Re: Is your arranger just laying there in the closet ? [Re: travlin'easy]
Mockie Offline

Loc: Dublin Ireland

I understand Donny's feelings about the band days. But it's not the making of music with a live band only, he's missing, he is probably missing "the good old days" when everything seemed perfect. He's missing the social aspect of being with guys or girls in a band. He is missing lots of things associated with being younger.He is also missing playing a Hammond B3
I think most of us musicians feel the same way, but bear in mind we've all had a great time with our beloved music
I would say to Donny, leave the arranger in the closet sometimes and get the odd gig with a drummer, any type of gig and all the old feelings will comeback.

As Gary said earlier, "I miss the stage"

Donny, I am assuming you are not a millionaire (maybe you are) remember that you still need to earn money to pay the bills or buy that new arranger.

Donny, I'd say most of us here are with you on your thoughts.

Frank

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online