SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#423285 - 07/12/16 12:54 PM Re: MIDI file opinions [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

that's the point Gary,......you shouldn't notice that at all....
adding/removing parts here and there using the KB and changing the arrangement to suit your particular style is what it's all about. All done on the PC.

all the best cool2

#423288 - 07/12/16 01:58 PM Re: MIDI file opinions [Re: Dnj]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Originally Posted By: Dnj
adding/removing parts here and there using the KB and changing the arrangement to suit your particular style is what it's all about. All done on the PC.

all the best cool2

Hi Donny,
I'm not too good on picking up individual tracks in a backing,
was it basically a style with added string tracks, ( luv those soaring strings) styles normally don't play those type of string parts except in intro's / endings?

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#423292 - 07/12/16 02:53 PM Re: MIDI file opinions [Re: rikkisbears]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: rikkisbears

all the best cool2

Hi Donny,
I'm not too good on picking up individual tracks in a backing,
was it basically a style with added string tracks, ( luv those soaring strings) styles normally don't play those type of string parts except in intro's / endings?

Rikki so much more can be done adding parts, some are style parts mixed with Mp3 tracks, others just a simple Mp3 track beefed up with extra parts using the arranger KB,...you can play on top, add string pads, different EFX, cut and paste parts here and there and so many other tricks of the trade creating your backing tracks the way You want them to sound for performance using a good program like Mixcraft 7, Pro Tools, Cubase, etc,.it's fun to experiment and try new things with your music, plus you can play on top too leaving out certain parts, And I agree with a repetitious style some things just cant be done. There are pros & cons to both methods.
Give it a try you will be surprised at what you can do taking it step by step, it's fun also.

take care

Edited by Dnj (07/12/16 02:56 PM)

#423293 - 07/12/16 03:43 PM Re: MIDI file opinions [Re: Dnj]
rikkisbears Offline

Thanks Donny,
I was referring to that particular song you shared, I was assuming you'd added the strings to a style ( possibly even more tracks)but the strings stood out for me.

It's funny how we dumb a midifile down to turn it into a style ( guilty) when the original midifile sounds so much better.

Been playing round with a midifile of sentimental journey. It has some wonderful string parts that can't be duplicated in a style. Yes, I can replicate the intro and ending, but I can't replicate the melodic string parts, they all but have to be dumbed down to a pad.
My time would probably be better spent tweaking the midifile with better sounds than the Gm ones it has.

I did do a style way back for my pa800. I basically chopped a midifile into sections.
No Chord Changes, but I could play a verse or a chorus as I chose, by just pressing the variations. Gave a bit more freedom than just playing the midifile straight. Only thing it did, was limit me to 8 tracks, but it was enough. The whole style was based on the settings for an intro,

Given me good for thought Donny.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#423294 - 07/12/16 03:53 PM Re: MIDI file opinions [Re: Mark79100]
rikkisbears Offline

Originally Posted By: Mark79100
I had some free time and spent that free time "surfing." Thought I listen to some MIDI files to see if they've progressed or regressed from years ago. This one caught my attention. It sounds, to me, almost a photostat of the original. Then again I realized I'm listening to it on my small computer speakers. I'm wondering if it would sound that good on a TOTL arranger.

All By Myself — Eric Carmen

Hi Mark,
It is a good sounding midifile. It's Gm as far as I can tell or at least that's the voices it brought up on my pa3x
Would need bit of a tweak insofar as one could come up with better sounds than the Gm ones. It brought up a clarinet for melody which didn't sound too great, but on the whole it's a nice arrangement.

I gather those midifiles can't be downloaded? just played.
Still haven't gotten to grips with my win 10 which I just recently ended up with.
I managed to record an MP3 of it in the pa3x, warts and all, if you wanted to have a listen.
Doesn't mention what you're playing at the moment.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#423295 - 07/12/16 04:01 PM Re: MIDI file opinions [Re: rikkisbears]
Dnj Offline

Thanks Donny,
I was referring to that particular song you shared, I was assuming you'd added the strings to a style ( possibly even more tracks)but the strings stood out for me.

It's funny how we dumb a midifile down to turn it into a style ( guilty) when the original midifile sounds so much better.

Been playing round with a midifile of sentimental journey. It has some wonderful string parts that can't be duplicated in a style. Yes, I can replicate the intro and ending, but I can't replicate the melodic string parts, they all but have to be dumbed down to a pad.
My time would probably be better spent tweaking the midifile with better sounds than the Gm ones it has.

I did do a style way back for my pa800. I basically chopped a midifile into sections.
No Chord Changes, but I could play a verse or a chorus as I chose, by just pressing the variations. Gave a bit more freedom than just playing the midifile straight. Only thing it did, was limit me to 8 tracks, but it was enough. The whole style was based on the settings for an intro,

Given me good for thought Donny.

Rikki are you using a DAW program like the ones mentioned in my post, etc,?....recording into your PC using your KB and then turning the finished product into a backing track to use in any way you wish can give you much more freedom and editing power then just on your KB..good luck there are no rules ...

#423299 - 07/12/16 06:41 PM Re: MIDI file opinions [Re: Dnj]
rikkisbears Offline

Rikki are you using a DAW program like the ones mentioned in my post, etc,?....recording into your PC using your KB and then turning the finished product into a backing track to use in any way you wish can give you much more freedom and editing power then just on your KB..good luck there are
no rules ...

Hi Donny,
Nothing fancy.
I still use the old XG works sequencer for converting my PSR styles across to Korg.
Perfect for that because it is so simple.

I had basic version of sonar, which I never used, I didn't bother updating when my yearly subscription ran out.

Also have Real Band which comes as part of the Band in a Box package.
This one does support audio. Plus, one can import Biab midi/audio tracks into an existing midifile. This is something I may start exploring again if I get into doing MP3 /wav backing tracks for my korg.

Got the old brain ticking over again haha. Thanks Donny.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#423301 - 07/12/16 07:55 PM Re: MIDI file opinions [Re: Dnj]
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
I'm wondering if anyone except Rikki even LISTENED to the MIDI file to see if they also think it was excellently done and close to the original?

The drum track on that song was very busy and the keyboard runs very fluent. Did the producer of that MIDI file nail it? I think he did. What do YOU think?

#423302 - 07/12/16 08:04 PM Re: MIDI file opinions [Re: rikkisbears]
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
This one caught my attention. It sounds, to me, almost a photostat of the original.

All By Myself — Eric Carmen

I gather those midifiles can't be downloaded?

Hi Rikki.......you can download any of them on the page. He's says they're all free to download. Just click on it and a dialogue box will come up asking if you want to listen or download.

I thought a few of the other MIDI files were interesting also.

Mark

#423305 - 07/12/16 08:35 PM Re: MIDI file opinions [Re: Mark79100]
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Rikki.......you can download any of them on the page. He's says they're all free to download. Just click on it and a dialogue box will come up asking if you want to listen or download.

I thought a few of the other MIDI files were interesting also.

Mark

Thanks Mark,
I'll try again, mine came up with the listen screen only, so maybe I was doing something wrong, if not, I'll try my old note book win 7 , and see how that goes.

I'm going to have a listen to some of the others, he definately has some that interest me.

Thanks for the link.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online