SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#423233 - 07/11/16 08:47 PM MIDI file opinions
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
I had some free time and spent that free time "surfing." Thought I listen to some MIDI files to see if they've progressed or regressed from years ago. This one caught my attention. It sounds, to me, almost a photostat of the original. Then again I realized I'm listening to it on my small computer speakers. I'm wondering if it would sound that good on a TOTL arranger.

All By Myself — Eric Carmen

#423241 - 07/12/16 02:08 AM Re: MIDI file opinions [Re: Mark79100]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
The sound of a Midi file is determined by the quality of the sounds in the instrument you play the Midi file on, in addition for compatibility they normally use the GM sounds on the instrument, which on most hardware instruments are not the best, (If you have dedicated Midi files for a particular instrument only the best sounds are used) so you will need to change them to get the best sound of the Midi file on your particular instrument.

Remember, Midi is NOT an Audio file, but a simple data file that musical instruments can understand.

Hope this helps

Bill

#423249 - 07/12/16 06:36 AM Re: MIDI file opinions [Re: abacus]
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
Bill......thanks for offering that MIDI file information. I'm pretty much aware of that. I think I said it wrong. What I meant was.........I thought that was a pretty good arrangement of that song and I was only listening to it on my computer. I don't use MIDI files, but after hearing this one, I thought....why not?

I guess I'm wondering if I'm losing my grip on good music after hearing so much trash these days. So I was asking what others thought of it (the arrangement)?

Mark

#423271 - 07/12/16 10:48 AM Re: MIDI file opinions [Re: Mark79100]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
I see where you are coming from, however the only time I use Midi files, is if I need the score, which can be produced from most Midi Sequencers. (NOTE: If your keyboard does Midi markers then you can use it as a Midi style, or indeed convert it into a style)

The arrangement sounds okay to me, however music is such a personal thing, only you can decide if it suits.

As it’s a free download, why not just download it and see if it suits your need.

Hope this helps

Bill

#423272 - 07/12/16 11:34 AM Re: MIDI file opinions [Re: Mark79100]
Dnj Offline

SMF is only as good as the person recording them....even with a few limitations certainly they are more creative then repetitious styles to a point. They leave more creativeness to the artist vs an automatic styles which in essence is a MIDI File also.

#423275 - 07/12/16 11:48 AM Re: MIDI file opinions [Re: Dnj]
rosetree
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Dnj
SMF is only as good as the person recording them....even with a few limitations certainly they are more creative then repetitious styles to a point. They leave more creativeness to the artist vs an automatic styles which in essence is a MIDI File also.

MIDI files leave MORE creativeness to the artist? How that? The musician cannot even control the chords played.
It is only true if the midi file is self-made!
Otherwise it's just a big step further towards mere David Guetta DJing instead of live music.

#423276 - 07/12/16 11:50 AM Re: MIDI file opinions [Re: Mark79100]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Donny, I'm still patiently awaiting to hear one of those backing tracks you have created so meticulously and use on stage.

And, style files, for the most part, are nothing more than looping midi files. They can be used right out of the box, or very creatively, depending upon the playing skills of the performer.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#423277 - 07/12/16 12:00 PM Re: MIDI file opinions [Re: ]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: rosetree
Originally Posted By: Dnj

MIDI files leave MORE creativeness to the artist? How that? The musician cannot even control the chords played.
It is only true if the midi file is self-made!
Otherwise it's just a big step further towards mere David Guetta DJing instead of live music.

Self made is what I'm talking about in general it gives the artist creative freedom in his arrangements to play on top of, etc,....
is controlling repetitious styles (aka midi files) any different? confused1

#423278 - 07/12/16 12:02 PM Re: MIDI file opinions [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: travlin'easy
Donny, I'm still patiently awaiting to hear one of those backing tracks you have created so meticulously and use on stage.

And, style files, for the most part, are nothing more than looping midi files. They can be used right out of the box, or very creatively, depending upon the playing skills of the performer.

Gary cool

http://www.synthzone.com/forum/ubbthread...Focu#Post423034

heres a small taste wink

#423284 - 07/12/16 12:44 PM Re: MIDI file opinions [Re: Mark79100]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Maybe it's me, Donny, but if that is a custom backing track, to me, it sounds no different than any onboard style. You did a great job with the song, but as I've said in the past, I really don't hear any difference between you singing over a style or midi file.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online