SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#42320 - 01/03/03 05:13 AM Burning a CD from the 7000
Ted Rose Offline

Loc: United States
Good morning and Happy New Year again to all my Forum friends! For 2003, I have, more or less, joined the 21st century! For Christmas,I received a new laptop computer with both a floppy drive and a CD drive. Now I am trying to figure out how to record and copy some music from my 7000 on to CD;in the past, I usually used the Easy Record feature and then saved it to a floppy for later playback on the keyboard; never was able to play the floppies through my computer sound system though. If I take my floppy to my computer, it reads the files but tells me that I can't play them via computer (using the Real Player feature in Windows--I use Windows XP Home Edition); no trouble, however, playing back my recording on the 7000. I can't remember if this was discussed here before or not, but can someone tell me specifically how to record from the 7000 to a floppy that plays on my computer (desktop or laptop)and then how to transfer that recorded information to a CD that will play in an ordinary CD player? Or how to record directly to the CD drive of my laptop that will produce a CD that plays either on my computer or a regular CD player. Or do I have to save the files on the SD card and then, how would I get them to be read and copied on the computer? As you can see, I am a total ignoramus in this field of high tech, but I know I can rely on the Forum folks to come up with the answers I need. Thanks in advance for any help here or via e-mail that you can provide. By the way, isn;t the 7000 fabulous?!

Cheers to you all!

Ted

#42321 - 01/03/03 05:23 AM Re: Burning a CD from the 7000
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ted,
Burning performances from the 7000 was covered by Alec and several others in past posts. I do not do it but it appears to be much easier using the Panasonic gear.

Try the Forum search for many lenghtly posts.

cheers,

Fran in Florida

#42322 - 01/03/03 05:29 AM Re: Burning a CD from the 7000
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ted,
Try Making a CD in your search........Fran

#42323 - 01/03/03 06:08 AM Re: Burning a CD from the 7000
cees Offline

Loc: The Netherlands
Hi Ted,
the 'simpliest' steps are:
1. connect KN7 to your laptop
2. play off the song on your KN7-sequencer
3. record it with the program 'K7-audio-recorder'
4. save it as an '*.wav'-file on your laptop.
--- as far you can play this 'wav-file' on your laptop by clicking on it ---
5. Use WindowsXP to get it with your CD-writer on a CD: that is not so difficult. Pherhaps look for an explanation at: http://support.microsoft.com/search/preview.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q306524 or in the helpfeature of Windows.
Have success in making your own CD.
And a happy musical year to all forummers,
greetings
Cees.

#42324 - 01/03/03 12:45 PM Re: Burning a CD from the 7000
Chuck Piper Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Hi Ted,

Here is another source for information that may prove helpful in resolving your music transfer dilemma.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/windowsmediaplayer/getstarted/transfermedia.asp

Cheers and Happy New Year, Ted,

Chuck

#42325 - 01/03/03 01:36 PM Re: Burning a CD from the 7000
Douglas Dean Offline

Loc: Prospect Heights IL USA
Ted,

When you record a song and save that song to a floppy you are not saving any music on it as when you record to a tape. All that is saved on the floppy is Digital information. Like what key was pushed down, for how long, the velocity, what sound was assigned to it, etc. Also what rhythm, what effects and so forth. When you have the floppy inserted into the KN the KN reads that info and the machine sort of repeats what you had done previously. The KN makes the music the floppy only instructs it what to do. Sort of like the old player piano music roll. The roll had no music sound on it just the instructions to the piano for the key to press. Little holes punched into paper. So when you slip that floppy into your computer the computer looks at the set of instructions and says you got the wrong guy. I aint got anything built into me that can do what you say. I don’t have any rhythm chips. What the heck is a trumpet or piano sound? I don’t have a sound chip. All I got is a pentium 3 chip. Come on Ted I compute, I don’t play. And that’s the story triangle of the KN, the floppy and the computer. I wonder if the computer is jealous of how the KN and the floppy is getting together. Then again maybe the KN don’t like the relationship the computer has with a floppy of it’s kind. And that’s the way life is.

Now the CD drive in your computer. It’s only half literate. It can read but it can’t write! Kind of like Adam and Eve. Before Eve was taken out of Adam he could do both. After Eve was taken out of Adam only Eve could make babies. And so with CD’s. You have a CD and then there are CD R/RW. A CD only reads em but a CD R/RW can not only read em but make em also. Got the idea?

Grandpa Doug

#42326 - 01/05/03 08:49 PM Re: Burning a CD from the 7000
Ted Rose Offline

Loc: United States
Dear Fran, Cees, Chuck and "Grandpa" Doug,

Thanks so much for your excellent and informative comments and advice. I haven't yet tried to record from my new 7000 but will find some time soon, I'm sure. Meanwhile, the references and comments you made in response to my query have been invaluable in providing me with pertinent information. I always can count on my fiends here on the Forum.

May you all have a most blessed New Year 2003. I, for one, look forward to continued fun reading and enjoying this wonderful Forum and the continued friendships I have made here.

Ted

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online