SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#423076 - 07/07/16 03:55 PM Re: My Old Bose Compact Died [Re: Bernie9]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
7 to 10 jobs a week for my Bose L1 Compact, averaged 350 to 400 jobs a year, ever since the Compact became available in 2009 - never had a single problem. After 7 years of using it, I took the backup amp out of the van - never needed it! Now that I've retired, the only gear in the van is the Rock And Roller cart, which I sometimes use to haul gear down the sidewalk to the boat. wink Looks like the Bose L1 Compact held up better than I did! wink

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#423084 - 07/07/16 05:04 PM Re: My Old Bose Compact Died [Re: Bernie9]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
[quote=Bernie9]Obviously, Carvin has been a respected name for years, but if it is primarily a bass amp and I have two subs, why this and not the Maui 5, if anything?

Backup is why. The Carvins preform pretty well full range.

#423085 - 07/07/16 05:06 PM Re: My Old Bose Compact Died [Re: ]
Torch Offline

The trick does work on the Roland A49. Any USB power source will turn it on. I have my A49 sitting right next to me and as always just now I was able to turn it on from a USB battery pack. One of the reasons I bought the A49 was because I "thought" from looking at the midi din out I could use it without a computer except that how do you power it with a PC??? That was when I found the trick on the net. It is not even mentioned in the manual. Just recently I purchased a USB MIDI host along with some other midi gadgets including a midi breath controller. The USB MIDI host, of course, will power the A49 no problem. Then I tried Samsung USB chargers and two different USB battery packs to turn on the A49 and send midi out. I don't like when manufacturers have features in their products that either they themselves don't know about or fail to mention in the manual.

Originally Posted By: rosetree
Originally Posted By: Torch

For very important weddings, I take this controller keyboard as a back-up keyboard, together with one of my small modules:

http://www.roland.com/products/a-500s/

It fits into the trunk and stays there during the gig, I bought a used one for just 85 euros. Even works on batteries.

(EDIT: Warning: This one is discontinued, but the newer A-49 only works with a computer attached - VERY stupid.)

When I got a Roland A-49 a few years back, I, too, thought it was stupid the A-49 could not power up as a standalone. I found a trick on the internet.

How do I power up my Roland A49 MIDI controller with a USB power supply (without a computer)?
Article #1725357 Added on Jun 8, 2015 at 2:16 PM
Hold the Function, Assign, and Pitch buttons while plugging the unit in to the power supply to enable the controller to receive power in standalone. Once you’ve done this, each subsequent boot should work normally with the power adapter without having to press that combination of buttons. [/quote]

That works? Funny... A normal USB power adapter apparantly doesn't work.
It's bizarre as I read the A-49 needs some kind of driver to work, either from PC or at least via iPad, but then that's obviously wrong...[/quote]
"You Shall Know the Truth, and the Truth will set you free." John 8:32

#423087 - 07/07/16 05:23 PM Re: My Old Bose Compact Died [Re: Bernie9]
Dnj Offline

Hahaha don't shoot the messenger..... Lol

#423106 - 07/08/16 05:33 AM Re: My Old Bose Compact Died [Re: Bernie9]
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I just remembered I have a Peavey KB300 amp with a Black Widow speaker stored in my band room. I bought two in the late eighties, but they weigh about 95 lbs apiece. I wonder if the tone stacks up at all with modern amps. I loaned it to the band 10 yrs ago for visiting players, and forgot how it sounds. They sounded wonderful then, but so did my old D-50 KB.

#423107 - 07/08/16 05:44 AM Re: My Old Bose Compact Died [Re: Bernie9]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Bernie9
I just remembered I have a Peavey KB300 amp with a Black Widow speaker stored in my band room. I bought two in the late eighties, but they weigh about 95 lbs apiece. I wonder if the tone stacks up at all with modern amps. I loaned it to the band 10 yrs ago for visiting players, and forgot how it sounds. They sounded wonderful then, but so did my old D-50 KB.

just put some wheels on it and off you go....

http://store.roadreadycases.com/dyn_prod.php?p=RRWAD

Attachments
b75d7e6e9a419533d74b4efd60a07275.jpg

#423109 - 07/08/16 06:27 AM Re: My Old Bose Compact Died [Re: Dnj]
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I put wheels on after the second time out.

#423112 - 07/08/16 08:42 AM Re: My Old Bose Compact Died [Re: Bernie9]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Originally Posted By: Bernie9

Great amp for its time but most guys forgo keyboard amps these days in favor of powered PA type speakers. Much better sound quality, more power, lighter, and you can put them up on stands.
I had two similar amps made by Crate, KX220s. They were great but once I got my JBL's they were gone.

#423114 - 07/08/16 09:51 AM Re: My Old Bose Compact Died [Re: Bernie9]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I used to own a KB300 - it was just awful. The sounds were muddy at best, it weighed nearly 100 pounds, and I used a refrigerator dolly to move it. Sold it to a bingo hall for half what I paid for it and was glad to see it go.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#423115 - 07/08/16 10:39 AM Re: My Old Bose Compact Died [Re: Bernie9]
Jerry T Offline

Loc: Phila. 'burbs, Pa. USA
Like Don, I’ve had the Compact since it was introduced and before that the L1, now called the Classic. Never had a problem with the Compact, but I did have a problem with the big Bose. I spoke with and did a telephone trouble shoot with a Bose tech that lasted several hours. When we determined that none of his recommendations worked, Bose over-nighted me another unit and took back the one that I had so I had it for the next night’s gig. I was not charged for shipping either way, AND it was out of warranty! So, I would pay the extra $ that the Bose products cost just for the service. I do keep my old Barbetta 31 in the van just in case.
Ciao,
Jerry

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online