SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#423051 - 07/07/16 09:04 AM Re: My Old Bose Compact Died [Re: Bernie9]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Until recently, I had a pair of Bose L1 Compacts, never had a problem with the primary unit and the second unit was only used a handful of times for very large venues. Bose has a super service department, and yes, you will have to pay shipping one way, but in most instances, they will foot the bill for shipping back to you. Give them a call, and be sure to tell them that you are a full-time entertainer and they will provide you with very quick return time on your amp.

As for the Bose Compact failure rate, according to everything I've read, that rate is very, very low, much lower than any other PA system. The CM30s should be left at home - they just don't cut it, and that is based upon a one-time use at an outdoor party. The guy at the local music store told me they were nothing more than a practice amp for guitar players, and not to use them for the work that I did. He was right. After two songs on the CM30s, I plugged into the Bose Compact and continued for the remainder of the night and rocked the pool party. Additionally, I know a dozen DJs and KJs here that use the Bose L1 and L1 Compact and they've never had a problem. So, I believe the folks on the Bose forum that said the failure rate is very, very low, much lower than any other PA system.

Good Luck,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#423054 - 07/07/16 09:27 AM Re: My Old Bose Compact Died [Re: Bernie9]
rosetree
Unregistered

No reason to buy CM30s. I think I've posted enough demos of the FBT J5a speakers now to demonstrate the power of these 8 lbs speakers...

#423055 - 07/07/16 09:44 AM Re: My Old Bose Compact Died [Re: ]
Torch Offline

[/quote]
For very important weddings, I take this controller keyboard as a back-up keyboard, together with one of my small modules:

http://www.roland.com/products/a-500s/

It fits into the trunk and stays there during the gig, I bought a used one for just 85 euros. Even works on batteries.

(EDIT: Warning: This one is discontinued, but the newer A-49 only works with a computer attached - VERY stupid.)[/quote]

When I got a Roland A-49 a few years back, I, too, thought it was stupid the A-49 could not power up as a standalone. I found a trick on the internet.

How do I power up my Roland A49 MIDI controller with a USB power supply (without a computer)?
Article #1725357 Added on Jun 8, 2015 at 2:16 PM
Hold the Function, Assign, and Pitch buttons while plugging the unit in to the power supply to enable the controller to receive power in standalone. Once you’ve done this, each subsequent boot should work normally with the power adapter without having to press that combination of buttons.
"You Shall Know the Truth, and the Truth will set you free." John 8:32

#423057 - 07/07/16 11:22 AM Re: My Old Bose Compact Died [Re: Torch]
rosetree
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Torch
[/quote]
For very important weddings, I take this controller keyboard as a back-up keyboard, together with one of my small modules:

http://www.roland.com/products/a-500s/

It fits into the trunk and stays there during the gig, I bought a used one for just 85 euros. Even works on batteries.

(EDIT: Warning: This one is discontinued, but the newer A-49 only works with a computer attached - VERY stupid.)

When I got a Roland A-49 a few years back, I, too, thought it was stupid the A-49 could not power up as a standalone. I found a trick on the internet.

How do I power up my Roland A49 MIDI controller with a USB power supply (without a computer)?
Article #1725357 Added on Jun 8, 2015 at 2:16 PM
Hold the Function, Assign, and Pitch buttons while plugging the unit in to the power supply to enable the controller to receive power in standalone. Once you’ve done this, each subsequent boot should work normally with the power adapter without having to press that combination of buttons. [/quote]

That works? Funny... A normal USB power adapter apparantly doesn't work.
It's bizarre as I read the A-49 needs some kind of driver to work, either from PC or at least via iPad, but then that's obviously wrong...

#423058 - 07/07/16 11:26 AM Re: My Old Bose Compact Died [Re: Bernie9]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Old Lazurus has arisen.

I brought the Compact into my studio to see if I was missing something. I turned it on an VOILA.
It fired right up and works as good as ever. It could have been the cords, but I tried two. It wasn't a heat overload, as it was cold. The outlets were fine for everything else, which leaves internal connectivity. It might last a day or years, but I will no longer trust it at a gig without knowing the cause. I will just keep it my studio and use the Spacestation. Time will tell if I use it for backup.

Edited by Bernie9 (07/07/16 11:28 AM)

#423067 - 07/07/16 01:33 PM Re: My Old Bose Compact Died [Re: Bernie9]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Bernie
You already have the Spacestation so get a small bass/keyboard amp to boost the bottom end and your good to go. Check out he Carvin Micro bass units. I had one and they're killer for the size/weight. If the SS dies you still have the other amp as your built in backup.
JMHO.

Edited by Bill Lewis (07/07/16 03:13 PM)

#423068 - 07/07/16 01:36 PM Re: My Old Bose Compact Died [Re: Bill Lewis]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Bill Lewis
Bernie
You already have the Spacestation so get a small bass/keyboard amp to boost the bottom end and your good to go. Check out he Carvin Micro bass units. I had one and they're killer for the size/weight. If the SS dies you still have the other amp as your built in backup.
JMHO.

http://carvinaudio.com/products/mb210

#423070 - 07/07/16 01:58 PM Re: My Old Bose Compact Died [Re: Dnj]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Obviously, Carvin has been a respected name for years, but if it is primarily a bass amp and I have two subs, why this and not the Maui 5, if anything?

#423071 - 07/07/16 02:11 PM Re: My Old Bose Compact Died [Re: Dnj]
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
Originally Posted By: Dnj
Bernie not good news frown ...I've heard this happening to a few people also for some reason with compacts mad they don't hold up well under pressure.....I hope Bose cane remedy the situation asap. At least you have the Spacestation, won't that maintain all your needs, or?

Compacts don't hold up well under pressure?

I've been using mine 6 to 10 times a month for a few years now...no problems. To me they are pretty rugged units.

That said, might be worth checking out the new JBL Ones.

#423075 - 07/07/16 03:54 PM Re: My Old Bose Compact Died [Re: Bernie9]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I used two Bose Compacts since they were introduced in 2009. I had the one problem, and it was quickly addressed. I used them four hours every night, five nights a week for nearly seven years!
I found them extremely reliable.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online