SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#422318 - 06/17/16 03:00 AM I saw Al Di Meola with Evan Garr tonight .... wow
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
I saw a virtuoso performance by Al Di Meola tonight with violinist Evan Garr at the Canyon Club in Los Angeles. But the story of how Evan joined the band is so wonderful. Here is Al's story.

"A couple of months ago a young humble violinist waited for me backstage in Toronto. His name is Evan Garr and he drove up in a beat up car from Detroit just to see the show. Self taught Evan blew all of us away when he suddenly started to play my music after the show in my dressing room. I asked where he was going that night. He said he'd be driving back all the way to Detroit. I said no, reached in my pocket, gave him all the money in there and told him to meet us in Montreal: "Your playing with us tomorrow night at the very prestigious Montreal Jazz festival! I would be honored to introduce you and tell your story!" The emotions were massive! Needless to say once he started to play the place rose to their feet and were instantly blown away! So now we are very happy to announce and introduce Mr. Evan Garr who will be joining our lineup for the October leg of ELEGANT GYPSY & MORE! We're proud and happy about what's to come"

#422337 - 06/17/16 04:05 PM Re: I saw Al Di Meola with Evan Garr tonight .... wow [Re: Nigel]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
WOW! Saw Al at the last return to forever concert in 1975 in Lexington. My friend Jack Brock plays for John Luke sometimes with Corea.

I even rebuilt a 175 to Al's specks...same Strings and pick-ups.

Funny thing. I never could sound just like him!

Oh well,

R.

#422339 - 06/18/16 12:27 AM Re: I saw Al Di Meola with Evan Garr tonight .... wow [Re: captain Russ]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Evan is such an amazing self taught violinist. A naturally talented musician. And the funny line Al had was "And he is cheaper than Jean Luc Ponty" lmao

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online