SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#422297 - 06/16/16 08:31 AM Re: Retired? um, sorta ... [Re: DonM]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: DonM
I have never, ever, played at an "introductory" price and later got more money from the same place.
Maybe your experience is different.

sometimes people have a budget they have to work with especially for private jobs, accommodating them in some way always leads to better things in the future in many ways.. wink

#422298 - 06/16/16 08:39 AM Re: Retired? um, sorta ... [Re: Dnj]
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Both answers are good,but to play for a reduced amount simply to line managements pockets is a fools game. If you play for a needy NH with little funds,however, I have done this many times. The bigger ones can screw off.

#422302 - 06/16/16 09:34 AM Re: Retired? um, sorta ... [Re: Bernie9]
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
Good luck Dave. Hope it goes well for you.

I taught high school half time this past year and tried to play a few gigs as well during the week...got really burned out.

My wife is encouraging me to try to make a go of it in music. Of course the good part is my music income is extra and I don't need it to live on.

smile

Edited by guitpic1 (06/16/16 09:34 AM)

#422304 - 06/16/16 10:54 AM Re: Retired? um, sorta ... [Re: Uncle Dave]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I've always depended on my music income, even with the school check, but now, after June 30th - no more checks. YIKES?
Naw ... I'm confident that the work will come. It always has in the past, and I'm kinda used to eating everyday, so ... I'll make it happen!
Not worried at all. Well, maybe a little.
smile

#422305 - 06/16/16 11:03 AM Re: Retired? um, sorta ... [Re: Uncle Dave]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Uncle Dave
I've always depended on my music income, even with the school check, but now, after June 30th - no more checks. YIKES?
Naw ... I'm confident that the work will come. It always has in the past, and I'm kinda used to eating everyday, so ... I'll make it happen!
Not worried at all. Well, maybe a little.
smile

FREEDOM....is PRICELESS !!

#422306 - 06/16/16 11:10 AM Re: Retired? um, sorta ... [Re: Uncle Dave]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Dave, if I were as healthy as you, I would not even hesitate. When I first met you those many years ago, you were playing at Adam's Ribs on the Jersey Shore, and working in, I believe, your sister's book store. Back then, you were worried, too, about getting enough jobs to make a living. Well, we all did, but everything seems to have worked out for both of us.

Now, with all the new assisted living, nursing homes, retirement communities and senior centers in your area, if you wished, you could easily work 7 days a week, 2 jobs a day. I know, you would rather play the clubs, but as you are well aware, they pay the same as they did 50 years ago. The NH circuit is still the best deal around for working entertainers/musicians. Drumming up these jobs is easy, especially for a person with your talents and abilities. Keeping up with such a demanding schedule is the hard part.

Good luck, old friend,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#422326 - 06/17/16 08:39 AM Re: Retired? um, sorta ... [Re: travlin'easy]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Dave, I KNOW you could get a Nursing home gig in Kentucky, because that's where your little red headed (now grey) "filly" now lives.

No kidding, you got it. You're certainly at the top of the players here.

You'll miss the kids, but there are many ways to volunteer to help the musically gifted in the world.

Knock "em" dead at whatever you do.

And, it goes without saying, you;re welcome here for an extended stay, anytime.

Russ

#422330 - 06/17/16 09:38 AM Re: Retired? um, sorta ... [Re: Uncle Dave]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Thanks everyone for the encouragement ... I'm really VERY ready to dive in head first, as I always do. In fact in the first week back, I booked two private parties from people who saw me at two other affairs (a benefit of working clubs), so I'm off to a great start. Summer is booked solid, and I'll start addressing the fall in a week or so. I want to enjoy my pool a little!
And Gary ... the NH circuit is definitely on my call list. I already have a few booked in the coming months.
I'm even thinking of getting a PA4x ... although I don't love the idea of a "silent slab" instrument. I'm so spoiled by on board monitors .... so much to ponder.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online