SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#418687 - 03/24/16 08:53 AM Re: Greetings from my workplace using hand and feet [Re: ]
john smies Offline

Loc: koudekerke, Holland.

Not my kinda music nor my kinda instrument ( I had to struggle on one of those home harmoniums as a young child) but absolutely brilliantly executed, my sincere compliments !!

regards,
John

#418689 - 03/24/16 08:59 AM Re: Greetings from my workplace using hand and feet [Re: ]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Originally Posted By: rosetree
Thanks again for your comments!
I think I'm going to make more use of my midi pedal again. I stupidly sold an 18-key pedal, because I thought it was too heavy, and bought a lightweight 12-key pedal.
@Bill: I have also played on midi pedal without shoes on gigs. These small midi pedals really invite to put off your shoes... But it's wise to wear black socks then wink

Those portable pedals don't let you do proper heel/toe playing. Kind of like the correct fingering we've talked about in other threads. Easier to move though.
Somewhere on the Internet is a guy who plays both feet on a Hammond barefoot. Doesn't look too good but I saw a clip of him doing "Squib Cakes" by Tower of Power. Look it up and listen to the bass, this guy can do it with his feet ! Even Chester Thompson who recorded the original goes to LH bass for his solo part where the real bass drops out.

#418713 - 03/24/16 09:18 PM Re: Greetings from my workplace using hand and feet [Re: ]
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
Rosetree....I can't say anything that has not already been said. But I DO want to say you've always had my respect as a musician......now you have even MORE of my respect! Nice job playing an instrument we all know is not that easy to work with.

Mark

#418714 - 03/24/16 09:32 PM Re: Greetings from my workplace using hand and feet [Re: ]
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
We all know bass pedals play "base lines." But when I was younger, filled with enthusiasm, and filled even further with ideas, one of those thoughts was to use the pedals as a "third" instrument while the arranger played the bass line. My forte, in those days, was playing three keyboards and two sound modules at once. When I thought about it, I realized that can be done with the many simple chorded songs such as Green Eyes, Spanish Eyes, etc....all songs with very few chord changes. Mostly I would play (on the pedals) a tuba, trombone, brass stabs, bells....all sounds that don't need fast movements.

I regret never following through on that. And, nowadays, it's not worth the trouble. People wouldn't even notice. They're only interested in clever Youtube acts.......something like playing bongo drums while you're riding backwards on a Harley-Davidson motorcycle at 80 miles an hour down Sunset Strip in Hollywood!

Mark

#418719 - 03/25/16 01:47 AM Re: Greetings from my workplace using hand and feet [Re: Mark79100]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Originally Posted By: Mark79100
We all know bass pedals play "base lines." But when I was younger, filled with enthusiasm, and filled even further with ideas, one of those thoughts was to use the pedals as a "third" instrument while the arranger played the bass line. My forte, in those days, was playing three keyboards and two sound modules at once. When I thought about it, I realized that can be done with the many simple chorded songs such as Green Eyes, Spanish Eyes, etc....all songs with very few chord changes. Mostly I would play (on the pedals) a tuba, trombone, brass stabs, bells....all sounds that don't need fast movements.

I regret never following through on that. And, nowadays, it's not worth the trouble. People wouldn't even notice. They're only interested in clever Youtube acts.......something like playing bongo drums while you're riding backwards on a Harley-Davidson motorcycle at 80 miles an hour down Sunset Strip in Hollywood!

Mark

Actually if you play a good solo bass line on the pedals, then most people take notice, as it gets away from the boring and monotony of Style play.

Another good way is to play a tune (That is normally played on the keyboard) on the pedalboard, such as flight of the bumble bee (For the more discerning customers) with the keyboards just used for the backing.

Playing 2 tunes simultaneously is also good, with the most popular being the Widor’s Toccata on the manuals while simultaneously playing star wars on the pedals.

Most of the rest of the things you mention can be done on most modern entertainment organs, without needing to use the pedals. (These can be used something else)

An arranger on its own is severely limited in what you can play manually without using boring backing styles, as you only have one keyboard, however add a set of bass pedals (And even a second keyboard) and you can go to a whole new level. (Convenience wise the arranger is great as it easy to carry and setup, but most players yearn for more)

Bill

#418722 - 03/25/16 04:18 AM Re: Greetings from my workplace using hand and feet [Re: ]
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
Ausgezeignet!(sp?)

I'm impressed. Besides not really being a keyboard player per se, I can't walk and chew gum at the same time.

#418739 - 03/25/16 03:56 PM Re: Greetings from my workplace using hand and feet [Re: abacus]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Rosetree ... I really enjoyed that ... Thank you ...

Originally Posted By: abacus

Actually if you play a good solo bass line on the pedals, then most people take notice, as it gets away from the boring and monotony of Style play.
Another good way is to play a tune (That is normally played on the keyboard) on the pedalboard, such as flight of the bumble bee (For the more discerning customers) with the keyboards just used for the backing.
Playing 2 tunes simultaneously is also good, with the most popular being the Widor’s Toccata on the manuals while simultaneously playing star wars on the pedals.
Most of the rest of the things you mention can be done on most modern entertainment organs, without needing to use the pedals. (These can be used something else)
An arranger on its own is severely limited in what you can play manually without using boring backing styles, as you only have one keyboard, however add a set of bass pedals (And even a second keyboard) and you can go to a whole new level. (Convenience wise the arranger is great as it easy to carry and setup, but most players yearn for more)
Bill

Wow, Bill ... nothing like adding some 'slightly' challenging melodies on the pedals, eh? ... wink ...
I find it amazing how some people can use both hands and both feet gong in different directions at the same time ... I got both hands going pretty well when I was playing chromatic accordion, but never got as proficient on piano or kb ...

#418754 - 03/26/16 07:53 AM Re: Greetings from my workplace using hand and feet [Re: abacus]
rosetree
Unregistered

Thanks once more for the new comments!

Originally Posted By: abacus
Originally Posted By: Mark79100

Mark

Bill

I remember two years ago I used my midi bass pedal during a gig with our band, and in one song I had forgotten the transpose, I think +5, which was active for the keyboards, but unfortunately not for the bass pedal, and luckily I more or less managed to play the tune in C major with the hands and in F major with the left foot - a special kind of musical schizophrenia or bipolar disorder shocked

Edited by rosetree (03/26/16 07:59 AM)

#422269 - 06/15/16 06:40 AM Re: Greetings from my workplace using hand and feet [Re: ]
rosetree
Unregistered

Last week I played a tiny positive organ on a wedding 60 miles west, and the bridal couple had the most unusual requests for church music: Guns N' Roses as well as van Halen.

I took a recording of the Guns N' Roses tune. I wished the small pipe organ had a "distortion guitar stop", then it would have sounded more like hard rock, but I got as much rock out of that positive organ as possible, and certainly nobody in that monastery had ever heard tunes like that coming out of that organ...

https://soundcloud.com/rorosetree/sweet-...oster-langwaden

#422273 - 06/15/16 11:24 AM Re: Greetings from my workplace using hand and feet [Re: ]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Very cool !! Great playing and you got all the songs nuances.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online