SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#421952 - 06/03/16 04:27 AM Tilt vs non Tilt screen and external screens
Tonewheeldude Offline

Funny thing happened a few weeks back. We have in the showroom a few P/X keyboards as well as the entire Ketron range (a T5, and old Technics KN6000 among the the used keyboards).

Someone came in to look at the SD7. They were horrified that the screen did not tilt, mentioning even the old technics screen tilted. I asked them why they need a tilting screen. "So I can see it!" was their reply. They were standing behind the SD7 at the time and so i asked if they could see it clearly from there...."yes" they said.

I asked them to stand at the side of the keyboard and asked if they could see it clearly.."yes" they said.

Do we need a tilt screen on the SD7 I asked...."No" they said smile

The only reason manufacturers ever fitted tilt screens was to make up for the poor viewing angles. But, like many things, it became a consumer 'must have'.

-----

One way we sell the SD7 and MidJay Pro to home users here in the UK is as a package with a large external LED screen that displays two pages of sheet music side by side. If saved as a PDF on the SD7 you can call up the sheet music with a registration.

At exhibitions we are asked the same question over and over again by Tyros owners. "How much is just the screen". We tell them they cost around £75 but its just a normal screen and has no software. Next comes:

So will it fit on my Tyros?

Reply: Yes, but you wont be able to display music.

Then something odd happens (almost every single time). They start to get a little angry with us! Probably because they dont understand: "So where is the music coming from?" (by this time they are looking for an SD card slot or something on the screen)

"Its stored on the keyboard - everything shown on the monitor is from the keyboard - this is just a simple computer monitor with no extra software (we show them how to select a registration and display up the music on the display)

Next comes - "Korg do this too". We say: "no, they dont - you have to buy an Ipad and store the music on that, with the Ketron you dont have to buy another tablet and learn how to use that - you can just plug in a normal screen"

But they generally still dont get it: "So I cant just buy the screen and fit it onto my Tyros"

Reply: "Not if you want to display music"

Then comes the inevitible - "thats an expensive way of doing it!" And they walk off in a huff, still not quite believing...or understanding us smile

#421953 - 06/03/16 08:23 AM Re: Tilt vs non Tilt screen and external screens [Re: Tonewheeldude]
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
The thanks you get for showing them a great feature. Oh well, dealing with the public gets frustrating at times.

Bernie

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry, Ketron_AJ, Tonewheeldude 

Help keep Synth Zone Online