SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#421790 - 05/29/16 12:28 PM Re: Input from members who have a Korg PA4x [Re: RMepstead]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Hi Roger,
I rarely visit on Face book -- I saw a picture you playing your Kn7000; you’re still as pretty as ever. (Grin) (ha ha ha)
I had a Korg Microarranger, and yes it was a challenge. John S. tried helping me through. It was a job. I felt that I must have frustrated him a bit.

I had a Pa800 and now a Pa900; both are a great deal easier to work with than the KMA.
I am happy with the Pa900 and the weight and dollars are comfortable.

Keep us posted on your progress.

John C.

#421792 - 05/29/16 02:46 PM Re: Input from members who have a Korg PA4x [Re: john smies]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi John
What do mean by selling my second PA 4x and going back to a pa800?

Did you actually buy sell, buy sell ?

Still have my old pa800, did sell my sd1+ quite a while back. The styles sounded great , The live drums really bring them to life.
Unfortunately for me style editing /creation was not good on the machine. Since that was my hobby, it didn't really suit.

Enjoy your Ketron.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#421793 - 05/29/16 02:52 PM Re: Input from members who have a Korg PA4x [Re: Bernie9]
rikkisbears Offline

Originally Posted By: Bernie9
Hi Rog,

I agree with you about the MicroArranger, and was hesitant to go Korg again, but I find the pa4X a breeze to understand. The best I have owned since the KN7000.

Bernie

Hi Bernie,
I felt that way about the pa800. Best keyboard since my kn7000.Then the pa3xwas even better than the pa800. I imagine the pa4x is even way better again.
I'm biding my time. Haha

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#421803 - 05/30/16 01:00 AM Re: Input from members who have a Korg PA4x [Re: rikkisbears]
john smies Offline

Loc: koudekerke, Holland.
Originally Posted By: rikkisbears
Hi John
What do mean by selling my second PA 4x and going back to a pa800?

Did you actually buy sell, buy sell ?

Still have my old pa800, did sell my sd1+ quite a while back. The styles sounded great , The live drums really bring them to life.
Unfortunately for me style editing /creation was not good on the machine. Since that was my hobby, it didn't really suit.

Enjoy your Ketron.

I sure did and to cut a long story short I ended up with a 300 euro loss.
I never even made the move from PA800 to PA3X due to the fact that all of my programming on former models with strong emphasis on the PERFORMANCES became virtually useless in the PA3X and ensuing models.
I do not want to hi-jack this thread and would like to emphasize that both sounds and styles on the PA4X are excellent. That being said there is no excuse for the massive number of bugs that Korg is still working on and the complete overhaul of OS. We have had the discussion on the disappearance of Performances etc.etc. no point in going there again.As I do not perform publicly and have ample time to program a song arrangement at home I have always felt very comfortable with the PA800, which to my mind is a great and intuitive machine despite the fact that it lacks the improved samples of the newer machines. An added bonus is the fact that the internal amplification and matching speakers in the PA800 are simply fantastic ( the best I have ever come across in any speaker intergrated arranger keyboard). Just compare the PA900 to the PA800 (John) and you know what I am talking about. I now run the ketron SD1plus thru the PA800 and it sounds great.
Thing is that the ketron too needs intensive in depth programming and the OS is not as intuitive as one would wish ( I am sure the Italians had a big say in the new OS on the PA4X) but I had other ketron keyboards so I will find my way eventually.
From day one of being on this forum, nigh on 16 years now I think, I have always subscribed to the view that it is better to have TWO arranger keyboards of TWO different brands,based on the assumption that they will compliment one another. And of course on the assumption that you will not have to lug them about for gigs. I recall that in 2001 I owned the now obsolete Roland E70 (great ac. piano though) and the Korg PA80. Subsequently I would think that if money is no object these days one would choose for the Korg PA4X with either the Ketron SD7 or a Yamaha Tyros 4/5 or , more conveniently PSR970.

All in all I think we are truly pampered if it comes to choices.Buying second hand you can now have pole position for a relatively small amount of money and the possibilities of the current range of keyboards are endless. Again and again I find myself dumbfounded by how little many users know about their machine and how little they have managed to exploit their arranger keyboard to the full.
In addition for me ( as mentioned ) there was also a financial impetus.Anyhow I am pleased with my current set up though it looks like it won't be used all that much with summer ahead.
One final observation also to get back to the core of this thread, the KORG PA4X, is the inclusion of Keyboard Sets instead of Performances. Keyboard sets contain a mixed bag of righthand sound/ sound combinations. I always wonder how many sounds you actually want or use for the right hand ? I mean if I give you 10 or 20 acoustic piano sounds to choose from on your arranger would it not be fair to assume that you will probably use 2, 3 at most all the time ? Same for other natural instruments such as sax,organ, electric piano, brass , etc. But even if you were to use say 5 or 6 out of each category ( apart from the fantasy and synth department) you would probably be having a hard time getting in excess of 50 or 60 overall sounds ? My point ? I don't need Keyboard Sets, hell even the 12 year old ketron SD1plus has a section where to stall 80 (!!) favourite sounds, be it factory, user or layered sounds. It is not the quantity that counts but it is the quality imho. Anyway enough said, I will continue to follow all of your views and endeavours here on the forum with great pleasure and hopefully I will master the ketron by the end of summer and record some good stuff during autumn /winter.

kind regards,
John

#421804 - 05/30/16 01:22 AM Re: Input from members who have a Korg PA4x [Re: ]
The Saint Offline

Loc: Sydney Australia
I will have to stop reading these posts on the PA4X.
You are all making me look for faults and reasons why I should offload my KN7 and go for the Korg.
Up until now I have always used the excuse that It would take me another lifetime to re-create my library of music which is quite vast, and the relevant arrangements/registrations, and also master the OS.
I only have so many years before old age creeps in !!!
It certainly appears to be a superb arranger (which would suit/enhance my talent)!!!!!!!
The money would not stop me, but Lois Lane might have something to say. Any advice Rikki on how I might manage that issue?
Another question I have is ..... For mainly all the home players, how do you handle the separate speaker situation?
Mostly when I play at home I use headphones.

Ray dance

#421805 - 05/30/16 02:39 AM Re: Input from members who have a Korg PA4x [Re: ]
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
Ray - the Korg Liverpool microarranger which comes complete with pretty much all the Beatles styles built in costs around £500 (U.K.) and is great fun to play although being a micro the keys are a bit less wide if that's the right word.
Still got my KN7000 and I couple the two machines together so that I use the KN7000 speakers which are a much better quality sound.

#421808 - 05/30/16 03:37 AM Re: Input from members who have a Korg PA4x [Re: The Saint]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: The Saint
You are all making me look for faults and reasons why I should offload my KN7 and go for the Korg.
Up until now I have always used the excuse that It would take me another lifetime to re-create my library of music which is quite vast, and the relevant arrangements/registrations, and also master the OS.
It certainly appears to be a superb arranger (which would suit/enhance my talent)!!!!!!!
The money would not stop me, but Lois Lane might have something to say. Any advice Rikki on how I might manage that issue?
Another question I have is ..... For mainly all the home players, how do you handle the separate speaker situation?

Ray dance

I think the step from kn7000 to pa4x is huge.. So far from all synthzone members only John Smies is not happy for his own very valid reasons, so i guess you can not go wrong by stepping up..

Just take your time to convert your music library, dont sell the kn7000 before you have covered all your main assets on the pa4x...

Maybe you should consider something new now, before old age creeps in, and dropping money on an instrument is not that bad because everyone knows used gear is worth selling ....

On the speaker question (i also play at home with headphones) i have two lovely yamaha HS7 studio monitors, with very authentic sound including an acompanying headset...

Pa4x also comes with the PAAS speaker system, which according to some gives the pa series their very own characteristics...

Edited by Bachus (05/30/16 03:40 AM)

http://keyszone.boards.net

#421811 - 05/30/16 06:16 AM Re: Input from members who have a Korg PA4x [Re: The Saint]
rikkisbears Offline

Originally Posted By: The Saint

Ray dance

Hi Ray,
If you have the space and you're considering the pa4x, don't unload the kn7000, you may
end up regretting it. I did. i sort of did a "dummy spit" after I found out they had stopped making the technics range. I invested a lot of time and money into my technics keyboards over the years , I bought a heap of the styles going right back to the kn2000 days. For the $2,000 or so dollars I got for it ( back in 2004) I probably spent that on the style disks over the years, and they became useless.
Currently I have the Pa3x and if , long suffering hubby lets me get one, I'll replace it with the pa4x.
I do use both the the psrs 950 and the korg pa3x . When I'm learning a new song, I go thru the styles on both keyboards. I do prefer the korg, though.
I bought my first korg arranger i2 back in the 90's. Since I'm putting in time and effort, I'd prefer to do that on a brand of keyboard that has some future.

Quite frankly if you have the space and you don't need the money, don't get rid of the kn7000 if you do decide to buy the korg.

I have the paas speakers for the korg pa3x.
I keep my pa800 and psrs950 in a seperate room, I have them connected to an amp and speakers.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#421812 - 05/30/16 07:15 AM Re: Input from members who have a Korg PA4x [Re: ]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Ray, it's easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission! smile

#421829 - 05/30/16 04:12 PM Re: Input from members who have a Korg PA4x [Re: john smies]
rikkisbears Offline

Originally Posted By: john smies

I never even made the move from PA800 to PA3X due to the fact that all of my programming on former models with strong emphasis on the PERFORMANCES became virtually useless in the PA3X and ensuing models.

One final observation also to get back to the core of this thread, the KORG PA4X, is the inclusion of Keyboard Sets instead of Performances.

kind regards,
John

Hi John,
I now understand why you went back to the pa800. You put a great deal of time and effort in your performances & resources pack .
If you can't use what you've created, you would think twice about having to start over.

Possibly if all the styles I'd converted/edited etc ( years of fun) hadn't been useable on the pa3x and I only had the choice of having either the pa800 or the pa3x I may not have upgraded either.
Fortunately for me, the styles worked out OK on the Pa3x.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online