SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#421615 - 05/23/16 08:58 PM Tool to explore chord progressions fr songwriting?
TedS Offline

Loc: North Texas, USA
Hi folks,
What's the easiest way to explore popular, or "typical" chord progressions for a possible song-writing project?

Yes I know that I can play chords in real time on my arranger. But is there an easy-to-use hardware or software that has popular chord progressions for genres like Pop, Country, Singer-Songwriter, etc., ALREADY BUILT IN, so that I can audition them with various styles? Does Band-in-the-Box do this?

I know some Ketron arrangers have a special variation called Riff mode which plays preset chord changes for the selected style. And I have an old Yamaha QY100 which has a feature similar to what I'm describing. But with its tiny display, the QY isn't especially user-friendly. I'm thinking PC software might be the way to go here. Any recommendations? Thanks!!

#421616 - 05/23/16 10:38 PM Re: Tool to explore chord progressions fr songwriting? [Re: TedS]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Ted,
Check out Band in a Box. The pg music site should have a heap of demo's and tutorial video's.
In the last few years it has moved away from just midi styles to a mix of audio/midi and straight audio styles.

Basically you just type in a chord progression , choose style , Mark where you want fills and ending.

I don't actually use it a great deal, but I have had the program since about 1990 and I upgrade it every couple of years or so. The progress over the years has been amazing.

http://www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.features.htm

I'm reasonably certain it will help you with chord progressions, I haven't used it in a while.

The pg forum is very helpful

I used to actually have biab midied to my korg ie I used to type my chord progression into biab and it synced and played the progression using the arrangers style instead if it's own.

It's a function biab has had for years, the ability to sync an arranger to it's chord progressions. Hoping I kept a note on the settings I used to make it happen.

Edited by rikkisbears (05/23/16 10:51 PM)

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#421617 - 05/24/16 02:50 AM Re: Tool to explore chord progressions fr songwriting? [Re: TedS]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Ted, I'm not sure if this is the direction you are are looking in, but I do soundtracks at home as a sideline to my retirement pension, and I find this simple system pretty handy for coming up with ideas...it's also available for iPhone and iPad.

https://autochords.com/

Ian

#421618 - 05/24/16 05:05 AM Re: Tool to explore chord progressions fr songwriting? [Re: ianmcnll]
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Ian,
That's an interesting app. Free too. Wow.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#421619 - 05/24/16 06:44 AM Re: Tool to explore chord progressions fr songwriting? [Re: ianmcnll]
Jerryghr Offline

Loc: Buffalo, NY
Ian,

Thanks for the link.

Looks like it would be a useful tool for playing intros for songs in any key.

Regards,

Jerryghr

Edited by Jerryghr (05/24/16 06:45 AM)

#421626 - 05/24/16 10:45 AM Re: Tool to explore chord progressions fr songwriting? [Re: rikkisbears]
TedS Offline

Loc: North Texas, USA
Ian that's a cool app. I just wish it had more than four chords in each evolution. Definitely a good place to get started!

Originally Posted By: rikkisbears

Basically you just type in a chord progression , choose style , Mark where you want fills and ending.

Rikki, I reviewed the PG Music website yesterday before I posted. The thing is, I've only ever played from fake sheets (or by ear.) I have no training in WRITING music. So I'm looking for a tool that has a built-in "library" of suggested chord progressions for each genre. If I have to type them in, I would probably start with someone else's song (which could be plagiarism.) It's hard to believe they don't have built in progressions for people who just want to jam along with the tracks!

The QY100 has several built-in progressions, but the chord changes aren't published in the data list. I would have to boot the instrument, play them, and make notes (which I might do.)

If any of you have taken a college course on songwriting, maybe you know of a reference book that has the type of information I'm looking for. Thanks for all of your suggestions so far!

#421630 - 05/24/16 03:29 PM Re: Tool to explore chord progressions fr songwriting? [Re: TedS]
Jerryghr Offline

Loc: Buffalo, NY
I have taken free courses online at coursera.org

They are starting a Songwriting course on May 30th.

If you sign up for the Berkley songwriting course, and only audit the course it is free. You receive the videos, transcripts, quizes etc.

People earning degrees pay for the course and receive credit towards a degree.

https://www.coursera.org/learn/songwriting

Regards,

Jerryghr

#421631 - 05/24/16 04:25 PM Re: Tool to explore chord progressions fr songwriting? [Re: TedS]
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Ted,
As I mentioned, I don't use biab a great deal. What I'll do is , later on today , I'll open it up and check out the functions. In the back of my mind, I have a feeling it will do chord progressions for you.
3 or 4 years on the korg forum we went thru an exercise to try and create styles for the pa800 from biab midi styles. There weren't that many pa800 styles around, Biab styles didn't have intro's just a count in. I did actually create intro's for these styles and I can only think that biab actually came up with the chord progression that I used for those intro's.
They possibly don't mention all the functions biab is capable of , because if it actually can do it , it's a function that goes way back.

Also with biab, one has the option of buying what you need. The packs with all the audio styles is fairly pricey. There's packs that give you some of the midi styles plus a few audio
There's a pack that gives you all the midi styles plus some audio, and there's packs that give you everything..
http://www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.requirements.htm

Also note it mentions something about a 30 day money back guarantee

Regrettably the old brain isn't as sharp as it used to be. Haha

As for books, I have a heap, but I can't think of one that covers that topic.
If I do , I'll let you know. I know I had a really simple one for intro's ending progressions.

Actually had a qy20 many years ago.

I'll do some checking later on today

Edited by rikkisbears (05/24/16 04:26 PM)

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#421642 - 05/25/16 04:17 AM Re: Tool to explore chord progressions fr songwriting? [Re: rikkisbears]
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Ted
Ok, I'm back.
Did a quick refresher.
Actually biab can generate a complete song for you
Under the melodic the option it can generate the following for a song
Chords ( some are complex, uses maj 7ths, sus, 11ths etc depends also on the genre)
Intro
Melody
Even a Title
It can do any of these for a whole song or part of a song

It can do it in a number of Genres
Jazz
Easy Listening
Pop
Rock
Country etc
About 26 in total.

Literally takes seconds to generate a complete song, ( complete with chord symbols)
From there you just edit to suit. Maybe add a soloist , whatever.

Under tutorials , see if you can find something on Melody, that's the section where the above is.

Edited by rikkisbears (05/25/16 04:50 AM)

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#421646 - 05/25/16 04:39 AM Re: Tool to explore chord progressions fr songwriting? [Re: rikkisbears]
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
Another very good BIAB feature is it will SOLO Improvise around a melody line.
Print a Lead Sheet then Save file As Midi. Load into keyboard then mute the melody to play live and the Solo Impro will come in at the right time.

graham uk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online