SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#421558 - 05/22/16 11:00 AM Input from members who have a Korg PA4x
Tyrosman5
Unregistered

I am contemplating buying a Korg PA4X after selling my Tyros 5-76. I have listened to the deomos and tutorials. The tutorials are really
long and go into all kinds of settings that to me, seem difficult to
absorb. Perhaps it's because I am so used to Yamaha. I realize that
the Korg let's one really "tweak" the board but how good is it out of
the box with what's there already.

I am hoping that you owners can tell me that I can use the OS and be
able to enjoy the board without getting deeply involved into the innards of the Korg. Info. and confidence is what I am looking for. Lloyd

#421561 - 05/22/16 12:52 PM Re: Input from members who have a Korg PA4x [Re: ]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Lloyd, I cannot comment on the Pa4X as I do not own one, but I can comment on the OS ... when I switched from technics to KORG (Pa600) the OS was completely foreign to me, as technics were the only KBs I owned till then ... after about a week or two, with help from the 'KORGIES' on this forum - Donny was one of them at the time - I was quite comfortable with the OS ... I now play a Pa900 and am still amazed at some of the things you can do while playing a song - even during a 'live' performance ...
Of course, one should ALWAYS do a 'hands on' before buying a KB, but I don't think you should let the OS scare you away ...

I played a wedding yesterday, and for some of the requests I had to be a DJ and use some mp3's ... while playing an mp3, I got a request for a 'Hully Gully' which I wanted to play 'live' ... I pressed the SEARCH key, typed 'hul' and there was the location of the style ...when the mp3 ended, I pressed STYLE PLAY and began the HULLY GULLY ...
Now, I am not saying you can't do this on other boards, but I was quite pleased with how seamless it was ...

Best of luck with whatever you chose ...

#421562 - 05/22/16 12:58 PM Re: Input from members who have a Korg PA4x [Re: ]
Hal2001 Offline

Loc: U.S.
Hi T5. May I ask why you are contemplating selling your Tyros 5 76? How good the Pa4x is out of the box, or any synth out of the box really, depends on how different your sound taste and expectations are from the original sound designers who thought their programming sounded great out of the box just before they released the keyboard to us. All the basic controls like EQ, relative program values and program and style selection are very conveniently accessible on the P4x if you would like to make modifications to the presets. So I think your question is difficult for someone else to answer. I may like the sounds and styles out of the box and someone else not. Or vice versa. It's really a matter of taste. The board is very playable OOTB but you may prefer a different adjustment here or there. The important thing IMO is that it is easy enough to tweak if you do want to, which it is. Best of luck. Hal

#421563 - 05/22/16 01:05 PM Re: Input from members who have a Korg PA4x [Re: ]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I had exactly the same hesitation. I didn't want to trade editing capability for the ease of use of my S910 and S970. My only other recent exposure to Korg was my Micro Arranger, which I found confusing and awkward.

No worries, as it is a bit different than Yamaha, but just as easy. You just have to learn a few buttons and drop down menus. This doesn't mean you don't have to put in some time, but it is laid out so logically that it isn't frustrating. I think it is fun to learn one thing at a time as I get beyond the basics.

Try it you'll like it.

#421564 - 05/22/16 02:51 PM Re: Input from members who have a Korg PA4x [Re: ]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Lloyd,

I believe you know what I think, but I had been using the Korg arrangers since 2008 in rotation with Yamaha arrangers. I'm happy to read what Tony and Bernie wrote shows it no matter what background experience you've had with an arranger you can make the transition. I've never used Ketron so I can't give you input there on how easy or difficult it is to get a handle on Ketron, but you have done that with the SD7, I don't imagine Krog would be more difficult to get a handle on the OS. I'm thinking Frankieve could give you an opinion as well as DonM, maybe others too who have used all 3 brands.

Good luck and just give Frank a call in the morning smile place that order smile

#421567 - 05/22/16 04:49 PM Re: Input from members who have a Korg PA4x [Re: ]
Tyrosman5
Unregistered

I thank all of you for your input. This forum is so useful to
a keyboard player. Of course if I do decide to buy the Korg
PA4X Frank will be the guy I purchase it from. Again, thanks
all you Synthzone addicts for the great advice. Lloyd

#421569 - 05/22/16 05:53 PM Re: Input from members who have a Korg PA4x [Re: ]
mirza Offline

Loc: london,ontario.canada
Pa4x is as easy to use as any Yamaha arranger. It all depends how you want to use it. If you don't want to edit than don't, but there are all the tools you need if you do want to edit sounds or styles.... Etc.

TYROS 5,BEHRINGER X32PRODUCER,YAMAHA DSR112,JBL PRX618s XLF,EV ZLX12p,SENNHEISER E945,....ETC

#421570 - 05/22/16 06:15 PM Re: Input from members who have a Korg PA4x [Re: ]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi,
don't have the pa 4x , I have the pa3x.
Operating system, first up, probably isn't quite as straight forward as the yammies.
Unless something has changed, you have to load user styles into the korg,vs being able to play them directly off the USB stick. That used to confuse some people that were used to the yammie system.
I
Main thing is, make sure you like the korg styles.

I personally luv the operating system of the korg, especially the style creator. Unfortunately I couldn't always find a style for some of the tunes I like to play. I'm sort of into show tunes and old standards and stuff, some of the simpler yammie styles plain suited better. So, not that bigger problem for me, I used to convert my yammies across to korg for the odd style.

Whereas the operating system shouldn't be that bigger problem, just make sure you like the korg styles.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#421571 - 05/22/16 07:09 PM Re: Input from members who have a Korg PA4x [Re: ]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I love the PA4X. Operating system has improved a lot, even over the Pa3X. You can now play styles from USB via a system called disk direct.
I've been able to find every style I need. There are tons of them out there, in addition to the ones on board and that Korg lets you download for free. Plus the 4x has a built-in midi-to-style converter that works well, if the original midi file was done right to start with.
All sounds, particularly guitars, pianos and drums are way better on the 4x than on any predecessors.
As far as out of the box, they make it easy to adjust the sound to your preference by the MAXX automatic settings.
If you use vocal mic, same thing is true, let the T.C. Helicon processor automatically analyze your voice and set the e.q., compressor, de-essor, etc., for you. Just check Automatic and adjust the input level and it does the rest. Of course you CAN set everything yourself if you wish.
There WILL be a learning curve as far as the operating system, but after that, I find it much better than Yamaha's.

#421572 - 05/22/16 07:52 PM Re: Input from members who have a Korg PA4x [Re: ]
Steve A Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Loyd,

I have been playing an Arranger now for 6 months....My entry into the Arranger world was straight to the PA4x....

I have done zero tweaking out of the box. To be honest, I hate to tweak sounds & just want to play....I play live consistently with the PA4x & it has worked out great as not only an Arranger, but also having pre-recorded sequences laid down and playing acoustic guitar live to. I can also play live solo piano or keyboard guitar and it is not lacking in either pianos or guitars.

The look of the board is a professional board. I didn't get that feeling with "any" other arranger I've sat down at. My PA4x 76 gets double takes from musicians and lay people alike. The key bed is about as good as it gets. The church that I play at is so grateful I purchased it, as I am the sole musician.

The styles for the Church I play at are perfect as I can use the Pop/Rock/Ballads all day long.....

I have been able to record several new compositions & the value I have gotten from the board has already exceeded the price paid.

As for ease of use, the OS is intuitive & well thought out. The touch screen is always nice for me.

Best purchase I have made in years......

#421573 - 05/22/16 08:52 PM Re: Input from members who have a Korg PA4x [Re: ]
vangelis Offline

Loc: FLORIDA
I've had them all, and still have a few old ones around including the Ketron,GEM,Roland,Yamaha,and KORG and as far as an arranger,the BEST! to date for me is KORG PA4X, great right out of the box and very tweekable, but one thing stinks about KORG,and they should change their policy, if you buy a KORG PA4X and have it for a few months, even though it's under full warranty if you sell it it considered used and out of warranty, that policy stinks, period, and I would take that into consideration next time when I buy a KORG, and this is enforced here in the US, were as in Europe a local dealer will probably still help you out.

Edited by vangelis (05/22/16 08:53 PM)

#421576 - 05/22/16 11:23 PM Re: Input from members who have a Korg PA4x [Re: vangelis]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: vangelis
I've had them all, and still have a few old ones around including the Ketron,GEM,Roland,Yamaha,and KORG and as far as an arranger,the BEST! to date for me is KORG PA4X, great right out of the box and very tweekable, but one thing stinks about KORG,and they should change their policy, if you buy a KORG PA4X and have it for a few months, even though it's under full warranty if you sell it it considered used and out of warranty, that policy stinks, period, and I would take that into consideration next time when I buy a KORG, and this is enforced here in the US, were as in Europe a local dealer will probably still help you out.

Strange laws you have overthere in the US... Overhere in Holland Warrannty is on the product and carries over to the new owners by law.... Also by law, people are entitled to 3 years warranty on evevry product they buy.... And you dont have to pay extra for that..

http://keyszone.boards.net

#421577 - 05/22/16 11:26 PM Re: Input from members who have a Korg PA4x [Re: rikkisbears]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: rikkisbears
Hi,
don't have the pa 4x , I have the pa3x.
Operating system, first up, probably isn't quite as straight forward as the yammies.
Unless something has changed, you have to load user styles into the korg,vs being able to play them directly off the USB stick. That used to confuse some people that were used to the yammie system.
I
Main thing is, make sure you like the korg styles.

I personally luv the operating system of the korg, especially the style creator. Unfortunately I couldn't always find a style for some of the tunes I like to play. I'm sort of into show tunes and old standards and stuff, some of the simpler yammie styles plain suited better. So, not that bigger problem for me, I used to convert my yammies across to korg for the odd style.

Whereas the operating system shouldn't be that bigger problem, just make sure you like the korg styles.

Hi Ricky, good to see you again...

I am not a pa4x owner, i read somewher however the pa4x can play styles directly from USB, maybe a pa4x owner can comfirm this?

#421581 - 05/23/16 04:00 AM Re: Input from members who have a Korg PA4x [Re: ]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Tyrosman5
I am contemplating buying a Korg PA4X after selling my Tyros 5-76.

why are you selling your Tyros5?

#421583 - 05/23/16 05:23 AM Re: Input from members who have a Korg PA4x [Re: DonM]
rikkisbears Offline

[quote=DonM]I love the PA4X. Operating system has improved a lot, even over the Pa3X. You can now play styles from USB via a system called disk direct.
I've been able to find every style I need. There are tons of them out there, in addition to the ones on board and that Korg lets you download for free. Plus the 4x has a built-in midi-to-style converter that works well, if the original midi file was done right to start with.

Hi Don,
Ok , now I'm starting to wish I hadn't gotten involved in this discussion.
Not that it ever bothered me personally that one couldn't play styles directly from USB , it still sounds like a great addition.

What really has me intrigued, what is the midi to style "converter", ie is there MORE to it, than the midi to style function on the pa3x???

I've deliberately been avoiding reading up on the pa4x. Poor hubby, maybe. Hahau

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#421584 - 05/23/16 05:37 AM Re: Input from members who have a Korg PA4x [Re: Bachus]
rikkisbears Offline

[/quote]

I am not a pa4x owner, i read somewher however the pa4x can play styles directly from USB, maybe a pa4x owner can comfirm this? [/quote]

Thank you Bachus.

I've been taking quite a long break from my music hobby. Still have my keyboards, just starting to dabble again.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#421594 - 05/23/16 09:16 AM Re: Input from members who have a Korg PA4x [Re: ]
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
There is a weight difference between PA4X and T5. PA series is made of medal and the Tyros is plastic. NOt sure of exact weight, but probably 10 lbs heavier.

I've never been happy with the feel and touch of T5' Function Buttons. As you know, you use F1 thru F10 to navigate through the Yamaha menus.

I think you'll find the touch screen on PA series to be better to navigate vs. Tyros.

#421599 - 05/23/16 10:28 AM Re: Input from members who have a Korg PA4x [Re: rikkisbears]
Bachus Offline

I am not a pa4x owner, i read somewher however the pa4x can play styles directly from USB, maybe a pa4x owner can comfirm this? [/quote]

Thank you Bachus.

I've been taking quite a long break from my music hobby. Still have my keyboards, just starting to dabble again. [/quote]

Making music is allways fun, i hope you will find the same as me, that even after a long break (mine lasted over 5 years) it will not be that hard to pick up where you left...

#421604 - 05/23/16 11:06 AM Re: Input from members who have a Korg PA4x [Re: ]
Tyrosman5
Unregistered

Just ordered a Korg PA4X from Frank at Audioworks. I thank all of you for your input, I really appreciate it. Synthzone is the
place for all board players who want to get the most from their
boards. Thanks again, Lloyd

#421605 - 05/23/16 12:07 PM Re: Input from members who have a Korg PA4x [Re: ]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Tyrosman5
Just ordered a Korg PA4X from Frank at Audioworks. I thank all of you for your input, I really appreciate it. Synthzone is the
place for all board players who want to get the most from their
boards. Thanks again, Lloyd

Lloyd, CONGRATS!

#421607 - 05/23/16 12:28 PM Re: Input from members who have a Korg PA4x [Re: ]
Dnj Offline

Loyd good move... Frank is the best enjoy it!

#421625 - 05/24/16 08:47 AM Re: Input from members who have a Korg PA4x [Re: ]
Tyrosman5
Unregistered

Steve A,
You give me condifence that I will also love the PA4X. I think what turns some people off of the Korg is the fact that you can do so much "tweaking". I believe it scares away prospective
buyers. Like you say, it' fine out of the box and one does
not need to go into all the possibilities of the Korg unless
one wants to. I appreciate your email and I surely hope that
I can say after owning it: "Best Purchase I have made in years.
Thanks, Lloyd

#421656 - 05/25/16 08:21 AM Re: Input from members who have a Korg PA4x [Re: DanO1]
Tyrosman5
Unregistered

Weight of Korg 76 and Yamaha 76 is less than one pound. I checked out the specs. The Korg weighs approx. 3/4 lb. more, not a significant
difference. The Korg looks a lot more sleek and not as bulky as the
Yamaha 76. Lloyd

Edited by Tyrosman5 (05/25/16 08:24 AM)

#421657 - 05/25/16 08:33 AM Re: Input from members who have a Korg PA4x [Re: ]
Bernie9 Offline

Which makes it much easier to transport, both as a fit in a vehicle and carrying.

#421658 - 05/25/16 09:03 AM Re: Input from members who have a Korg PA4x [Re: ]
Tyrosman5
Unregistered

Bernie,
Thanks for the comments. Yes, the Tyros 5-76 is bulky whereas
the Korg is trim. Metal case is my preference to the Plastic
of Yamaha. My Korg will be here Sat. May 28th. Regards, Lloyd

#421666 - 05/25/16 01:04 PM Re: Input from members who have a Korg PA4x [Re: ]
Steve A Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
So Tyrosman.........................You thought about a new handle yet?

#421667 - 05/25/16 01:06 PM Re: Input from members who have a Korg PA4x [Re: ]
DonM Offline

Xtyrosman!
Reformedtyrosman?
Enlightenedtyrosman?
2smart2batyrosman?
SuperKorgMan!!!!
smile

#421669 - 05/25/16 01:51 PM Re: Input from members who have a Korg PA4x [Re: DonM]
rphillipchuk Offline

Loc: Ontario Canada
KoolPax4
Pa4xMusician
Pa4xMaster
Korg4EVER
rocker

Styles
Yamaha Styles Only
Midi Safe

#421711 - 05/27/16 04:57 AM Re: Input from members who have a Korg PA4x [Re: ]
Tyrosman5
Unregistered

Hey Guys, I like em all ! Thanks for the suggestions. Lloyd

#421754 - 05/28/16 04:44 PM Re: Input from members who have a Korg PA4x [Re: Steve A]
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
Hello Everyone,

I too have recently bought a Korg Pa4X and love it, particularly as it came with a ready made READABLE 'Quick Start Up Guide' plus a very informative DVD straight from the Box. (Are you reading this Yamaha, there is a very important lesson to be learned here). I too have much to learn and if there is something I don't understand, I just put on the DVD, fast forward and find the answer.

Having said this, there are some things I don't like, firstly Korg seem to be obsessed with the colour Black, the keyboard is sometimes very difficult to see. Korg's website is also dark and somewhat pathetic compared to others. Whilst I did download the PDF Songbook, I absolutely refuse to download the Owner's Manual as it is over a thousand pages long. In my view, if there is that much to learn then there should be a printed Manual in the box. I would imagine those that don't have access to a PC will give up on the Pa4X almost immediately due to frustration.

Fortunately for me, I saw the Pa4X at a recent Keyboard Cavalcade Music Festival and the Korg team gave daily, very explicit demonstrations, using computer screens as well as manual explanations. Like the Yamaha keyboards, sheet music can be viewed using an Ipad which is the main reason I went for it, as my many music folders are almost as heavy to transport as the keyboard itself. The Pa4X isn't as wide or as heavy as the Tyros5-76 and you can almost 'tuck it under your arm' to carry it which is why I traded in my T5-76.

Hope this helps those contemplating buying the Korg Pa4X - go for it. To me it is a lovely keyboard with a quick and easy to use touch screen and I'm sure I'll get a great deal more pleasure playing it, once I've mastered the system.

Audrey Turner

#421762 - 05/28/16 10:50 PM Re: Input from members who have a Korg PA4x [Re: ]
DonM Offline

There is an excellent series of lessons on Youtube on the PA4X.
I actually prefer to have the manual on PC, rather than have to flip pages!
As far as the black and low light, I find it helpful to plug a small USB light into the front USB port. It illuminates most of the keyboard!

#421765 - 05/28/16 11:56 PM Re: Input from members who have a Korg PA4x [Re: DonM]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: DonM
There is an excellent series of lessons on Youtube on the PA4X.
I actually prefer to have the manual on PC, rather than have to flip pages!
As far as the black and low light, I find it helpful to plug a small USB light into the front USB port. It illuminates most of the keyboard!

Manualls work best on an Ipad (or any other tablet) for me... almost like a book, but adds easy searching

#421766 - 05/29/16 01:05 AM Re: Input from members who have a Korg PA4x [Re: ]
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
Ah yes 'the system' - let me know when you've worked out how to save the changes you might want to make during playing a song to the Korg equivalent of panel memories which I think is called 'performance'. I bought the Korg microarranger 'The Liverpool' at the Keyboard Cavalcade and still haven't got to the bottom of that one.

#421769 - 05/29/16 02:41 AM Re: Input from members who have a Korg PA4x [Re: RMepstead]
Bernie9 Offline

Hi Rog,

I agree with you about the MicroArranger, and was hesitant to go Korg again, but I find the pa4X a breeze to understand. The best I have owned since the KN7000.

Bernie

#421778 - 05/29/16 08:25 AM Re: Input from members who have a Korg PA4x [Re: ]
DonM Offline

The PA4x has done away with Performances. They have what they call Set Lists now, all based on the Songbook. I like the new system a lot personally. Others miss doing it the old way.
I know John Smies was really unhappy about it.

#421783 - 05/29/16 10:19 AM Re: Input from members who have a Korg PA4x [Re: DonM]
john smies Offline

Loc: koudekerke, Holland.

I was Don. So much really that it was ONE of the reasons for selling my SECOND PA4X and getting back a PA800. I say one of the reasons because due to several circumstances I do not play the keyboards as much as I used to. Subsequently I found the total investment too high a price to pay. For the same amount of money spent on a basic PA4X ( bugs included smile )I now have a Korg PA800, Ketron SD1plus ( bought last week), Yamaha P-80 piano, Martin acoustic guitar, Greg Bennett acoustic guitar and a Syrincs M3-220 DT active monitor set. Go figure is what the Americans would say, I believe.................
Nevertheless there is no denying that the PA4X sounds and styles are excellent and that many of you will undoubtedly enjoy their purchase. I know you do Don, and I enjoyed the recordings on it that you made available to us all.
Still, like I said, I am really quite happy without the 4X.

regards,
John

#421784 - 05/29/16 10:55 AM Re: Input from members who have a Korg PA4x [Re: ]
DonM Offline

The SD1 Plus is an excellent arranger. Technology as far as OS is a little dated, but it will SOUND great!

#421785 - 05/29/16 11:00 AM Re: Input from members who have a Korg PA4x [Re: john smies]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: john smies

I was Don. So much really that it was ONE of the reasons for selling my SECOND PA4X and getting back a PA800. I say one of the reasons because due to several circumstances I do not play the keyboards as much as I used to. Subsequently I found the total investment too high a price to pay. For the same amount of money spent on a basic PA4X ( bugs included smile )I now have a Korg PA800, Ketron SD1plus ( bought last week), Yamaha P-80 piano, Martin acoustic guitar, Greg Bennett acoustic guitar and a Syrincs M3-220 DT active monitor set. Go figure is what the Americans would say, I believe.................
Nevertheless there is no denying that the PA4X sounds and styles are excellent and that many of you will undoubtedly enjoy their purchase. I know you do Don, and I enjoyed the recordings on it that you made available to us all.
Still, like I said, I am really quite happy without the 4X.

regards,
John

I feel you John,.........as I always said navigation and operators playing features are the most critical things on a keyboard....as a player you have to be very comfortable if not keep searching until you do...everyone is different good luck to you...

#421787 - 05/29/16 11:46 AM Re: Input from members who have a Korg PA4x [Re: john smies]
Alan-Russell Offline

Do you have any arrangements I might listen too that are assembled by tracks?

#421788 - 05/29/16 12:00 PM Re: Input from members who have a Korg PA4x [Re: ]
DonM Offline

Sorry, I do everything live!

#421790 - 05/29/16 12:28 PM Re: Input from members who have a Korg PA4x [Re: RMepstead]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Hi Roger,
I rarely visit on Face book -- I saw a picture you playing your Kn7000; you’re still as pretty as ever. (Grin) (ha ha ha)
I had a Korg Microarranger, and yes it was a challenge. John S. tried helping me through. It was a job. I felt that I must have frustrated him a bit.

I had a Pa800 and now a Pa900; both are a great deal easier to work with than the KMA.
I am happy with the Pa900 and the weight and dollars are comfortable.

Keep us posted on your progress.

John C.

#421792 - 05/29/16 02:46 PM Re: Input from members who have a Korg PA4x [Re: john smies]
rikkisbears Offline

Hi John
What do mean by selling my second PA 4x and going back to a pa800?

Did you actually buy sell, buy sell ?

Still have my old pa800, did sell my sd1+ quite a while back. The styles sounded great , The live drums really bring them to life.
Unfortunately for me style editing /creation was not good on the machine. Since that was my hobby, it didn't really suit.

Enjoy your Ketron.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#421793 - 05/29/16 02:52 PM Re: Input from members who have a Korg PA4x [Re: Bernie9]
rikkisbears Offline

Originally Posted By: Bernie9
Hi Rog,

I agree with you about the MicroArranger, and was hesitant to go Korg again, but I find the pa4X a breeze to understand. The best I have owned since the KN7000.

Bernie

Hi Bernie,
I felt that way about the pa800. Best keyboard since my kn7000.Then the pa3xwas even better than the pa800. I imagine the pa4x is even way better again.
I'm biding my time. Haha

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#421803 - 05/30/16 01:00 AM Re: Input from members who have a Korg PA4x [Re: rikkisbears]
john smies Offline

Loc: koudekerke, Holland.
Hi John
What do mean by selling my second PA 4x and going back to a pa800?

Did you actually buy sell, buy sell ?

Still have my old pa800, did sell my sd1+ quite a while back. The styles sounded great , The live drums really bring them to life.
Unfortunately for me style editing /creation was not good on the machine. Since that was my hobby, it didn't really suit.

Enjoy your Ketron.

I sure did and to cut a long story short I ended up with a 300 euro loss.
I never even made the move from PA800 to PA3X due to the fact that all of my programming on former models with strong emphasis on the PERFORMANCES became virtually useless in the PA3X and ensuing models.
I do not want to hi-jack this thread and would like to emphasize that both sounds and styles on the PA4X are excellent. That being said there is no excuse for the massive number of bugs that Korg is still working on and the complete overhaul of OS. We have had the discussion on the disappearance of Performances etc.etc. no point in going there again.As I do not perform publicly and have ample time to program a song arrangement at home I have always felt very comfortable with the PA800, which to my mind is a great and intuitive machine despite the fact that it lacks the improved samples of the newer machines. An added bonus is the fact that the internal amplification and matching speakers in the PA800 are simply fantastic ( the best I have ever come across in any speaker intergrated arranger keyboard). Just compare the PA900 to the PA800 (John) and you know what I am talking about. I now run the ketron SD1plus thru the PA800 and it sounds great.
Thing is that the ketron too needs intensive in depth programming and the OS is not as intuitive as one would wish ( I am sure the Italians had a big say in the new OS on the PA4X) but I had other ketron keyboards so I will find my way eventually.
From day one of being on this forum, nigh on 16 years now I think, I have always subscribed to the view that it is better to have TWO arranger keyboards of TWO different brands,based on the assumption that they will compliment one another. And of course on the assumption that you will not have to lug them about for gigs. I recall that in 2001 I owned the now obsolete Roland E70 (great ac. piano though) and the Korg PA80. Subsequently I would think that if money is no object these days one would choose for the Korg PA4X with either the Ketron SD7 or a Yamaha Tyros 4/5 or , more conveniently PSR970.

All in all I think we are truly pampered if it comes to choices.Buying second hand you can now have pole position for a relatively small amount of money and the possibilities of the current range of keyboards are endless. Again and again I find myself dumbfounded by how little many users know about their machine and how little they have managed to exploit their arranger keyboard to the full.
In addition for me ( as mentioned ) there was also a financial impetus.Anyhow I am pleased with my current set up though it looks like it won't be used all that much with summer ahead.
One final observation also to get back to the core of this thread, the KORG PA4X, is the inclusion of Keyboard Sets instead of Performances. Keyboard sets contain a mixed bag of righthand sound/ sound combinations. I always wonder how many sounds you actually want or use for the right hand ? I mean if I give you 10 or 20 acoustic piano sounds to choose from on your arranger would it not be fair to assume that you will probably use 2, 3 at most all the time ? Same for other natural instruments such as sax,organ, electric piano, brass , etc. But even if you were to use say 5 or 6 out of each category ( apart from the fantasy and synth department) you would probably be having a hard time getting in excess of 50 or 60 overall sounds ? My point ? I don't need Keyboard Sets, hell even the 12 year old ketron SD1plus has a section where to stall 80 (!!) favourite sounds, be it factory, user or layered sounds. It is not the quantity that counts but it is the quality imho. Anyway enough said, I will continue to follow all of your views and endeavours here on the forum with great pleasure and hopefully I will master the ketron by the end of summer and record some good stuff during autumn /winter.

kind regards,
John

#421804 - 05/30/16 01:22 AM Re: Input from members who have a Korg PA4x [Re: ]
The Saint Offline

Loc: Sydney Australia
I will have to stop reading these posts on the PA4X.
You are all making me look for faults and reasons why I should offload my KN7 and go for the Korg.
Up until now I have always used the excuse that It would take me another lifetime to re-create my library of music which is quite vast, and the relevant arrangements/registrations, and also master the OS.
I only have so many years before old age creeps in !!!
It certainly appears to be a superb arranger (which would suit/enhance my talent)!!!!!!!
The money would not stop me, but Lois Lane might have something to say. Any advice Rikki on how I might manage that issue?
Another question I have is ..... For mainly all the home players, how do you handle the separate speaker situation?
Mostly when I play at home I use headphones.

Ray dance

#421805 - 05/30/16 02:39 AM Re: Input from members who have a Korg PA4x [Re: ]
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
Ray - the Korg Liverpool microarranger which comes complete with pretty much all the Beatles styles built in costs around £500 (U.K.) and is great fun to play although being a micro the keys are a bit less wide if that's the right word.
Still got my KN7000 and I couple the two machines together so that I use the KN7000 speakers which are a much better quality sound.

#421808 - 05/30/16 03:37 AM Re: Input from members who have a Korg PA4x [Re: The Saint]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: The Saint
You are all making me look for faults and reasons why I should offload my KN7 and go for the Korg.
Up until now I have always used the excuse that It would take me another lifetime to re-create my library of music which is quite vast, and the relevant arrangements/registrations, and also master the OS.
It certainly appears to be a superb arranger (which would suit/enhance my talent)!!!!!!!
The money would not stop me, but Lois Lane might have something to say. Any advice Rikki on how I might manage that issue?
Another question I have is ..... For mainly all the home players, how do you handle the separate speaker situation?

Ray dance

I think the step from kn7000 to pa4x is huge.. So far from all synthzone members only John Smies is not happy for his own very valid reasons, so i guess you can not go wrong by stepping up..

Just take your time to convert your music library, dont sell the kn7000 before you have covered all your main assets on the pa4x...

Maybe you should consider something new now, before old age creeps in, and dropping money on an instrument is not that bad because everyone knows used gear is worth selling ....

On the speaker question (i also play at home with headphones) i have two lovely yamaha HS7 studio monitors, with very authentic sound including an acompanying headset...

Pa4x also comes with the PAAS speaker system, which according to some gives the pa series their very own characteristics...

Edited by Bachus (05/30/16 03:40 AM)

#421811 - 05/30/16 06:16 AM Re: Input from members who have a Korg PA4x [Re: The Saint]
rikkisbears Offline

Originally Posted By: The Saint

Ray dance

Hi Ray,
If you have the space and you're considering the pa4x, don't unload the kn7000, you may
end up regretting it. I did. i sort of did a "dummy spit" after I found out they had stopped making the technics range. I invested a lot of time and money into my technics keyboards over the years , I bought a heap of the styles going right back to the kn2000 days. For the $2,000 or so dollars I got for it ( back in 2004) I probably spent that on the style disks over the years, and they became useless.
Currently I have the Pa3x and if , long suffering hubby lets me get one, I'll replace it with the pa4x.
I do use both the the psrs 950 and the korg pa3x . When I'm learning a new song, I go thru the styles on both keyboards. I do prefer the korg, though.
I bought my first korg arranger i2 back in the 90's. Since I'm putting in time and effort, I'd prefer to do that on a brand of keyboard that has some future.

Quite frankly if you have the space and you don't need the money, don't get rid of the kn7000 if you do decide to buy the korg.

I have the paas speakers for the korg pa3x.
I keep my pa800 and psrs950 in a seperate room, I have them connected to an amp and speakers.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#421812 - 05/30/16 07:15 AM Re: Input from members who have a Korg PA4x [Re: ]
DonM Offline

Ray, it's easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission! smile

#421829 - 05/30/16 04:12 PM Re: Input from members who have a Korg PA4x [Re: john smies]
rikkisbears Offline

Originally Posted By: john smies

I never even made the move from PA800 to PA3X due to the fact that all of my programming on former models with strong emphasis on the PERFORMANCES became virtually useless in the PA3X and ensuing models.

One final observation also to get back to the core of this thread, the KORG PA4X, is the inclusion of Keyboard Sets instead of Performances.

kind regards,
John

Hi John,
I now understand why you went back to the pa800. You put a great deal of time and effort in your performances & resources pack .
If you can't use what you've created, you would think twice about having to start over.

Possibly if all the styles I'd converted/edited etc ( years of fun) hadn't been useable on the pa3x and I only had the choice of having either the pa800 or the pa3x I may not have upgraded either.
Fortunately for me, the styles worked out OK on the Pa3x.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online