SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#421558 - 05/22/16 11:00 AM Input from members who have a Korg PA4x
Tyrosman5
Unregistered

I am contemplating buying a Korg PA4X after selling my Tyros 5-76. I have listened to the deomos and tutorials. The tutorials are really
long and go into all kinds of settings that to me, seem difficult to
absorb. Perhaps it's because I am so used to Yamaha. I realize that
the Korg let's one really "tweak" the board but how good is it out of
the box with what's there already.

I am hoping that you owners can tell me that I can use the OS and be
able to enjoy the board without getting deeply involved into the innards of the Korg. Info. and confidence is what I am looking for. Lloyd

#421561 - 05/22/16 12:52 PM Re: Input from members who have a Korg PA4x [Re: ]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Lloyd, I cannot comment on the Pa4X as I do not own one, but I can comment on the OS ... when I switched from technics to KORG (Pa600) the OS was completely foreign to me, as technics were the only KBs I owned till then ... after about a week or two, with help from the 'KORGIES' on this forum - Donny was one of them at the time - I was quite comfortable with the OS ... I now play a Pa900 and am still amazed at some of the things you can do while playing a song - even during a 'live' performance ...
Of course, one should ALWAYS do a 'hands on' before buying a KB, but I don't think you should let the OS scare you away ...

I played a wedding yesterday, and for some of the requests I had to be a DJ and use some mp3's ... while playing an mp3, I got a request for a 'Hully Gully' which I wanted to play 'live' ... I pressed the SEARCH key, typed 'hul' and there was the location of the style ...when the mp3 ended, I pressed STYLE PLAY and began the HULLY GULLY ...
Now, I am not saying you can't do this on other boards, but I was quite pleased with how seamless it was ...

Best of luck with whatever you chose ...

#421562 - 05/22/16 12:58 PM Re: Input from members who have a Korg PA4x [Re: ]
Hal2001 Offline

Loc: U.S.
Hi T5. May I ask why you are contemplating selling your Tyros 5 76? How good the Pa4x is out of the box, or any synth out of the box really, depends on how different your sound taste and expectations are from the original sound designers who thought their programming sounded great out of the box just before they released the keyboard to us. All the basic controls like EQ, relative program values and program and style selection are very conveniently accessible on the P4x if you would like to make modifications to the presets. So I think your question is difficult for someone else to answer. I may like the sounds and styles out of the box and someone else not. Or vice versa. It's really a matter of taste. The board is very playable OOTB but you may prefer a different adjustment here or there. The important thing IMO is that it is easy enough to tweak if you do want to, which it is. Best of luck. Hal

#421563 - 05/22/16 01:05 PM Re: Input from members who have a Korg PA4x [Re: ]
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I had exactly the same hesitation. I didn't want to trade editing capability for the ease of use of my S910 and S970. My only other recent exposure to Korg was my Micro Arranger, which I found confusing and awkward.

No worries, as it is a bit different than Yamaha, but just as easy. You just have to learn a few buttons and drop down menus. This doesn't mean you don't have to put in some time, but it is laid out so logically that it isn't frustrating. I think it is fun to learn one thing at a time as I get beyond the basics.

Try it you'll like it.

#421564 - 05/22/16 02:51 PM Re: Input from members who have a Korg PA4x [Re: ]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Lloyd,

I believe you know what I think, but I had been using the Korg arrangers since 2008 in rotation with Yamaha arrangers. I'm happy to read what Tony and Bernie wrote shows it no matter what background experience you've had with an arranger you can make the transition. I've never used Ketron so I can't give you input there on how easy or difficult it is to get a handle on Ketron, but you have done that with the SD7, I don't imagine Krog would be more difficult to get a handle on the OS. I'm thinking Frankieve could give you an opinion as well as DonM, maybe others too who have used all 3 brands.

Good luck and just give Frank a call in the morning smile place that order smile

#421567 - 05/22/16 04:49 PM Re: Input from members who have a Korg PA4x [Re: ]
Tyrosman5
Unregistered

I thank all of you for your input. This forum is so useful to
a keyboard player. Of course if I do decide to buy the Korg
PA4X Frank will be the guy I purchase it from. Again, thanks
all you Synthzone addicts for the great advice. Lloyd

#421569 - 05/22/16 05:53 PM Re: Input from members who have a Korg PA4x [Re: ]
mirza Offline

Loc: london,ontario.canada
Pa4x is as easy to use as any Yamaha arranger. It all depends how you want to use it. If you don't want to edit than don't, but there are all the tools you need if you do want to edit sounds or styles.... Etc.

TYROS 5,BEHRINGER X32PRODUCER,YAMAHA DSR112,JBL PRX618s XLF,EV ZLX12p,SENNHEISER E945,....ETC

#421570 - 05/22/16 06:15 PM Re: Input from members who have a Korg PA4x [Re: ]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi,
don't have the pa 4x , I have the pa3x.
Operating system, first up, probably isn't quite as straight forward as the yammies.
Unless something has changed, you have to load user styles into the korg,vs being able to play them directly off the USB stick. That used to confuse some people that were used to the yammie system.
I
Main thing is, make sure you like the korg styles.

I personally luv the operating system of the korg, especially the style creator. Unfortunately I couldn't always find a style for some of the tunes I like to play. I'm sort of into show tunes and old standards and stuff, some of the simpler yammie styles plain suited better. So, not that bigger problem for me, I used to convert my yammies across to korg for the odd style.

Whereas the operating system shouldn't be that bigger problem, just make sure you like the korg styles.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#421571 - 05/22/16 07:09 PM Re: Input from members who have a Korg PA4x [Re: ]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I love the PA4X. Operating system has improved a lot, even over the Pa3X. You can now play styles from USB via a system called disk direct.
I've been able to find every style I need. There are tons of them out there, in addition to the ones on board and that Korg lets you download for free. Plus the 4x has a built-in midi-to-style converter that works well, if the original midi file was done right to start with.
All sounds, particularly guitars, pianos and drums are way better on the 4x than on any predecessors.
As far as out of the box, they make it easy to adjust the sound to your preference by the MAXX automatic settings.
If you use vocal mic, same thing is true, let the T.C. Helicon processor automatically analyze your voice and set the e.q., compressor, de-essor, etc., for you. Just check Automatic and adjust the input level and it does the rest. Of course you CAN set everything yourself if you wish.
There WILL be a learning curve as far as the operating system, but after that, I find it much better than Yamaha's.

#421572 - 05/22/16 07:52 PM Re: Input from members who have a Korg PA4x [Re: ]
Steve A Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Loyd,

I have been playing an Arranger now for 6 months....My entry into the Arranger world was straight to the PA4x....

I have done zero tweaking out of the box. To be honest, I hate to tweak sounds & just want to play....I play live consistently with the PA4x & it has worked out great as not only an Arranger, but also having pre-recorded sequences laid down and playing acoustic guitar live to. I can also play live solo piano or keyboard guitar and it is not lacking in either pianos or guitars.

The look of the board is a professional board. I didn't get that feeling with "any" other arranger I've sat down at. My PA4x 76 gets double takes from musicians and lay people alike. The key bed is about as good as it gets. The church that I play at is so grateful I purchased it, as I am the sole musician.

The styles for the Church I play at are perfect as I can use the Pop/Rock/Ballads all day long.....

I have been able to record several new compositions & the value I have gotten from the board has already exceeded the price paid.

As for ease of use, the OS is intuitive & well thought out. The touch screen is always nice for me.

Best purchase I have made in years......

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online