SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#421442 - 05/19/16 08:05 AM Montage Forum?
AlenK Offline

Loc: Great White North
Looking at the latest posts I would have thought this was the Yamaha Montage forum. Wouldn't Montage posts have been better placed in the dedicated Yamaha Discussion forum under the Synth category? Don't get me wrong. I love the information, just think it would be better somewhere else.

#421443 - 05/19/16 08:08 AM Re: Montage Forum? [Re: AlenK]
rosetree
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: AlenK
Looking at the latest posts I would have thought this was the Yamaha Montage forum. Wouldn't Montage posts have been better placed in the dedicated Yamaha Discussion forum under the Synth category? Don't get me wrong. I love the information, just think it would be better somewhere else.

It was my initiative two months ago to start discussing synthesizers here in the general forum. Before, everything was discussed in the general arranger forum, which didn't really fit there of course.
I suggested shifting the discussion here, and not in the Yamaha forum, because all the manufacturer-related forums like Yamaha, Roland etc. are hardly visited by anyone and nearly dead. In this section I saw the chance to attract enough users to get a certain activity going.

Edited by rosetree (05/19/16 08:09 AM)

#421444 - 05/19/16 08:20 AM Re: Montage Forum? [Re: ]
AlenK Offline

Originally Posted By: rosetree

It was my initiative two months ago to start discussing synthesizers here in the general forum. Before, everything was discussed in the general arranger forum, which didn't really fit there of course.
I suggested shifting the discussion here, because all the manufacturer-related forums like Yamaha, Roland etc. are hardly visited by anyone.

Such a policy isn't going to make those forums any more useful. They might as well not be there. Despite its name Synth Zone seems to have diverged from its original purpose and the primary traffic for several years has been about arrangers (I'm guessing a >10:1 ratio). Since the arranger forums are where most people are posting - and the General Arranger forum most of all - I'm not at all surprised that discussions of synths ended up there. It's nice to move them away but if they're all going to be here why even allow news posts in the manufacturer-specific forums? They will just confuse things.

#421445 - 05/19/16 08:27 AM Re: Montage Forum? [Re: AlenK]
rosetree
Unregistered

I suggested shifting the discussion here, because all the manufacturer-related forums like Yamaha, Roland etc. are hardly visited by anyone.

Such a policy isn't going to make those forums any more useful. They might as well not be there. Despite its name Synth Zone seems to have diverged from its original purpose and the primary traffic for several years has been about arrangers (I'm guessing a >10:1 ratio). Since the arranger forums are where most people are posting - and the General Arranger forum most of all - I'm not at all surprised that discussions of synths ended up there. It's nice to move them away but if they're all going to be here why even allow news posts in the manufacturer-specific forums? They will just confuse things.

You should make your complaints to Nigel, the administrator. If we split up the low activity for synthesizers into single manufacturers, it will be a dead end, so I think it's better to centralize the synthesizer discussion at one point.

#421456 - 05/19/16 11:41 AM Re: Montage Forum? [Re: ]
AlenK Offline

If we split up the low activity for synthesizers into single manufacturers, it will be a dead end, so I think it's better to centralize the synthesizer discussion at one point.

Okay, I can see that. Low relative posting activity per synth brand is certainly an argument in favor of putting all synth posts in a single forum.

Actually, its good to see synthesizers discussed in Synth Zone wherever they are located. I had almost given up on seeing much of that here. (Okay, sure, almost all electronic keyboards are synthesizers of some sort, but you know what I mean.)

Now, you don't mind if I throw in a few posts that have nothing to do with the Montage, just to break the "montagany?"

#421460 - 05/19/16 12:20 PM Re: Montage Forum? [Re: AlenK]
Mikem Offline

Loc: Quebec, Canada

I agree.

#421461 - 05/19/16 12:20 PM Re: Montage Forum? [Re: ]
Mikem Offline

I suggested shifting the discussion here, and not in the Yamaha forum, because all the manufacturer-related forums like Yamaha, Roland etc. are hardly visited by anyone and nearly dead. In this section I saw the chance to attract enough users to get a certain activity going.

That's true.

#421462 - 05/19/16 12:21 PM Re: Montage Forum? [Re: AlenK]
Mikem Offline

Good points.

#421463 - 05/19/16 12:21 PM Re: Montage Forum? [Re: ]
Mikem Offline

You should make your complaints to Nigel, the administrator. If we split up the low activity for synthesizers into single manufacturers, it will be a dead end, so I think it's better to centralize the synthesizer discussion at one point.

Exactly.

#421464 - 05/19/16 12:22 PM Re: Montage Forum? [Re: AlenK]
Mikem Offline

If we split up the low activity for synthesizers into single manufacturers, it will be a dead end, so I think it's better to centralize the synthesizer discussion at one point.

Okay, I can see that. Low relative posting activity per synth brand is certainly an argument in favor of putting all synth posts in a single forum.

Actually, its good to see synthesizers discussed in Synth Zone wherever they are located. I had almost given up on seeing much of that here. (Okay, sure, almost all electronic keyboards are synthesizers of some sort, but you know what I mean.)

Now, you don't mind if I throw in a few posts that have nothing to do with the Montage, just to break the "montagany?"

Certainly.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online