SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#421440 - 05/19/16 06:32 AM I'm a SOUL man
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
It ain't the looks, it ain't the voice, it ain't the ethnicity, it's the SOUL. You either got it or you don't. And if you can't feel it or recognize it, you're missing a big part of the life experience. Sometimes it's inhibited by social and cultural barriers and the requirement to be emotionally 'exposed'. It's found most often in 'church' music and various types of 'folk' music (Blues, Gospel, Celtic, etc.) but can be heard (felt) in nearly ALL musical forms.

The tune below is done by one of my all time favorite singers and sort of demonstrates everything I've said above. It's not always the song (although a good song helps) but is more about the presentation. Some (musicians) may find the SAX on this tune 'gratuitous', but I think it's perfect within this arrangement. What do you think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axcXYkiO82Q&nohtml5=False

chas

#421467 - 05/19/16 02:49 PM Re: I'm a SOUL man [Re: cgiles]
mirza Offline

Loc: london,ontario.canada
This is beautiful. And I agree with you about "soul". That is one thing no one can show you. There is no school for that,except "life".
Any fool can pluck few chords or play fast lines. But all that in between those notes and chords is actual music. That is where soul comes to life. Somewhere in between.

BTW, love Joe Cocker. One of my favorites. I would always listen to him and his music than for example Frank Sinatra.

Edited by mirza (05/19/16 02:51 PM)

TYROS 5,BEHRINGER X32PRODUCER,YAMAHA DSR112,JBL PRX618s XLF,EV ZLX12p,SENNHEISER E945,....ETC

#421473 - 05/19/16 05:04 PM Re: I'm a SOUL man [Re: cgiles]
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)
You can't go wrong with Joe. And you definitely can't go wrong with Janis! Too bad they didn't perform together at Woodstock.

Taike

#421502 - 05/20/16 02:55 PM Re: I'm a SOUL man [Re: Taike]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
"The Last Original Man". Love the Tour Movie with Leon Russell, my favorite writer.

Can't fake the feeling.

Joe also does "I Can Stand A Little Rain", a song very meaningful to someone here.

Listen to it and you'll understand why.

Russ

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online