SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#421319 - 05/15/16 02:16 PM Santana on the Mz-X500
Bachus Offline

I love this performance and how he utilizes the MZ-X ...

http://keyszone.boards.net

#421321 - 05/15/16 03:50 PM Re: Santana on the Mz-X500 [Re: Bachus]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
At the risk of incurring your wrath (for disagreeing with you smile ), that was one of the most CRINGE-WORTHY arranger performances of a Santana tune (I love Santana, BTW) I think I've ever heard. In my opinion, this is the type of amateurish performance done on an Arranger keyboard that would drive young (6-60) musicians away from arrangers in droves. But hey, different strokes for different folks. For the record, I think it would sound equally bad on a T5 or Pa4X or SD9. That's one of my main beefs with arrangers; it makes guys with absolutely NO talent THINK they sound good. This demo will only impress immediate family. JMO.

chas

#421330 - 05/16/16 04:46 AM Re: Santana on the Mz-X500 [Re: Bachus]
Dnj Online   content

and the cream always surfaces to the top cool2 ....it is what it is a Casio.
I hope this is just sa stepping stone to better things from casio in the future models..

Edited by Dnj (05/16/16 04:48 AM)

#421331 - 05/16/16 05:56 AM Re: Santana on the Mz-X500 [Re: Bachus]
FransN Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Very bad indeed.

#421332 - 05/16/16 06:27 AM Re: Santana on the Mz-X500 [Re: Bachus]
AlenK Offline

Loc: Great White North
This is just some sales guy (or store owner) in a Cambodian music store. No surprise that he's no virtuoso and doesn't really know how to get the best out of an arranger. He can't even pick the right backing for Black Magic Woman, by far the worst of the two performances.

What I'm choosing to get from this video are sounds of the tones coming from the MZ-X500. IMO the acoustic guitar wasn't bad (with slides, etc.), the drawbar organ was decent (I understand Casio has implemented C/V and an adjustable leakage amount - hope they finally did a dual-rotor Leslie effect). The electric guitar would be good if it was played right. This guy only managed that in a few short segments. I play acoustic (steel, classical) and electric (after a fashion) so my opinion on the guitar sounds isn't completely uninformed.

#421336 - 05/16/16 08:59 AM Re: Santana on the Mz-X500 [Re: AlenK]
Jerryghr Offline

Loc: Buffalo, NY

..............and you thought that was bad!!!!!!

Edited by Jerryghr (05/16/16 09:09 AM)

#421343 - 05/16/16 10:21 AM Re: Santana on the Mz-X500 [Re: cgiles]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: cgiles
At the risk of incurring your wrath (for disagreeing with you smile ), that was one of the most CRINGE-WORTHY arranger performances of a Santana tune (I love Santana, BTW) I think I've ever heard. In my opinion, this is the type of amateurish performance done on an Arranger keyboard that would drive young (6-60) musicians away from arrangers in droves. But hey, different strokes for different folks. For the record, I think it would sound equally bad on a T5 or Pa4X or SD9. That's one of my main beefs with arrangers; it makes guys with absolutely NO talent THINK they sound good. This demo will only impress immediate family. JMO.

chas

For the record, i agree with you on the sound Quallity... The guitar sound is okay. But not more then that.

But not on how he uses the mz-x, its a matter of less is more... He is figuring out hiw way around, toying with sound and after a few minutes innthe video starts his performance... Did you continue to watch pass the initial minutes?

And by the way, everyone is allowed to disagree with me based on opinions, just not when it comes to facts as you cant disagree on facts, can you?

#421345 - 05/16/16 10:37 AM Re: Santana on the Mz-X500 [Re: Bachus]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
The absolutely, best rendition I've heard of Black Magic Woman done on an arranger keyboard lately was performed by Don Mason. https://app.box.com/s/3jru1xluc6pn1mkekgnkyfnnd44jkag2

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#421355 - 05/16/16 12:50 PM Re: Santana on the Mz-X500 [Re: travlin'easy]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: travlin'easy
The absolutely, best rendition I've heard of Black Magic Woman done on an arranger keyboard lately was performed by Don Mason. https://app.box.com/s/3jru1xluc6pn1mkekgnkyfnnd44jkag2

Gary cool

Thats a great performance.. Very nice style, very nice vocals, nice guitar solo... But also typicall arranger playing(not that its bas). But then what else do you need then a pa4x innthe hands of a pro?

#421356 - 05/16/16 01:07 PM Re: Santana on the Mz-X500 [Re: Bachus]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Bachus, the only part I disagree with is "typical". Don Mason is anything but a typical player - HE'S AN OUTSTANDING PLAYER to say the very least.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online