SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#421194 - 05/11/16 10:22 AM Waterfall keys
Bachus Offline

Why arent all keybeds of the waterfall type?

Or does the sharp edge at the frontside of a piano (form) key have any function i am not aware off?

http://keyszone.boards.net

#421204 - 05/11/16 01:21 PM Re: Waterfall keys [Re: Bachus]
Jerryghr Offline

Loc: Buffalo, NY
This is just my own theory.

The lip overhang would enable the piano builder to place a spacer (Gage) under the lip, press on the key and easily adjust the height of each key, so that they are all uniform.

Regards,

Jerry

#421215 - 05/11/16 09:58 PM Re: Waterfall keys [Re: Jerryghr]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: Jerryghr
This is just my own theory.

The lip overhang would enable the piano builder to place a spacer (Gage) under the lip, press on the key and easily adjust the height of each key, so that they are all uniform.

Regards,

Jerry

Could be...

But its not used in playing, i would love to see not to heavy piano weighted action with watterfall form factor... it could be the one keybed to fit all..

#421224 - 05/12/16 10:06 AM Re: Waterfall keys [Re: Bachus]
OldNewb Offline

Loc: Shorewood Wi. USA
"like" ^

#421302 - 05/14/16 09:06 PM Re: Waterfall keys [Re: OldNewb]
Hal2001 Offline

Loc: U.S.
WWJD. What Would Johann (Sebastian Bach) Do with designing the keys?

#421305 - 05/15/16 03:43 AM Re: Waterfall keys [Re: Hal2001]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: Hal2001
WWJD. What Would Johann (Sebastian Bach) Do with designing the keys?

I think he might go for a Roli seaboard... Current technollogy allows for totally new designs, yet most of us veterans stick to what we know, so it will take ages before things will change......

#421308 - 05/15/16 05:21 AM Re: Waterfall keys [Re: Bachus]
Hal2001 Offline

Loc: U.S.
Originally Posted By: Bachus
Current technollogy allows for totally new designs, yet most of us veterans stick to what we know, so it will take ages before things will change......

I know I sometimes struggle weighing the overall effectiveness of spending my time learning new technology versus using that time to actually accomplishing music. Sometimes new or different technology increases overall effectiveness and productivity and sometimes it can be a distraction from accomplishing the greater goal. For example, a big time consuming learning curve may be involved with something significantly different in design such as a new keyboard operating system and user interface, such as happens when you switch from one brand to another that is not familiar to you. On a more subtle scale, even the "feel" of the keys, sliders, knobs and switches, can be a distraction if they don't feel right to you and take time getting used to. For example, if they don't feel well designed or cheap, you may feel like you are playing a toy, versus a quality instrument worth playing. Getting back to your original keys design issue, you may end up having to customize your own keys by changing the keybed yourself, like the guy with the PA4x did on YouTube, replacing his entire keybed of piano keys, with a full set of accordion keys instead. His accordion keybed on the brand new arranger looked pretty freaky, but he did it, and effectively played his kind of music on it. It made him happy and served his purpose best. Anything is possible with ingenuity. Hal P.S. You can find that video by typing pa4x + accordian.

Edited by Hal2001 (05/15/16 09:11 AM)

#421318 - 05/15/16 12:45 PM Re: Waterfall keys [Re: Hal2001]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: Hal2001
Originally Posted By: Bachus
Current technollogy allows for totally new designs, yet most of us veterans stick to what we know, so it will take ages before things will change......

I know I sometimes struggle weighing the overall effectiveness of spending my time learning new technology versus using that time to actually accomplishing music. Sometimes new or different technology increases overall effectiveness and productivity and sometimes it can be a distraction from accomplishing the greater goal. For example, a big time consuming learning curve may be involved with something significantly different in design such as a new keyboard operating system and user interface, such as happens when you switch from one brand to another that is not familiar to you. On a more subtle scale, even the "feel" of the keys, sliders, knobs and switches, can be a distraction if they don't feel right to you and take time getting used to. For example, if they don't feel well designed or cheap, you may feel like you are playing a toy, versus a quality instrument worth playing. Getting back to your original keys design issue, you may end up having to customize your own keys by changing the keybed yourself, like the guy with the PA4x did on YouTube, replacing his entire keybed of piano keys, with a full set of accordion keys instead. His accordion keybed on the brand new arranger looked pretty freaky, but he did it, and effectively played his kind of music on it. It made him happy and served his purpose best. Anything is possible with ingenuity. Hal P.S. You can find that video by typing pa4x + accordian.

I dont know if he did that himself, overhere in Holland there is a company that sells pa4x, and T5 with acordeon keys.. As well as the sd7...

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online