SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#420807 - 05/01/16 06:14 PM Re: Playing for folks with dementia [Re: guitpic1]
Alan-Russell Offline

I am at an Alzheimers facility 365 days a year every morning..I.m an expert on this topic ..stage 7a thru g is past the behavorial agitation stage leaving terminal agitation left..it is NOT a violent stage when crisis Hospice intervenes.

Alan Russell

#420858 - 05/02/16 10:03 PM Re: Playing for folks with dementia [Re: Alan-Russell]
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
Allan.......what is the difference between dementia, Parkinson's. Alzheimer's, etc?

One of my biggest challenges in playing the senior places is....do I "talk" or NOT "talk?" How does one know how much they understand?

That's another way of saying......should I just play music or talk to them about the songs, orchestra leaders/vocalists from way back when, etc

M

#420863 - 05/02/16 11:42 PM Re: Playing for folks worth dementia [Re: travlin'easy]
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: travlin'easy
NEVER - NEVER perform without a staff member in the room. If something happens, regardless of the circumstances, you could be held liable and end up in court at the wrong end of a law suit.

Gary.....I thought that needed repeating AND the following:

Originally Posted By: travlin'easy
There have been times when the AD is in the back of the room texting on her damned I-phone and paying absolutely no attention to what is taking place in the room

That's more irritating than no aides being in the room with you. I'm thinking now of this place I play every month. Three "assistants" and every one on their smart phone. A few weeks back one of the patients got so carried away she came at me like she was "defense" and I was "offense" and......get the quarterback at all costs. I was standing, playing a 27 pound accordion, so I didn't have much of my own defense. And, I'm guessing just like you said.....if anyone got hurt, yours truly would probably be in a Civil suit right now!

M

#420870 - 05/03/16 04:09 AM Re: Playing for folks with dementia [Re: Mark79100]
Alan-Russell Offline

Dimentia is normal aging..memory loss..very slow neuro transmitter decline.

Alzheimers..major neuro transmitter decline progressing at a declining rate in 7 stages.

Parkinsons...lewie body damage effecting motor skills speech etc .also a declining illness.

Alan Russell

#420878 - 05/03/16 07:08 AM Re: Playing for folks worth dementia [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

A word of advice..ALWAYS have a few nurses or aids present
IN THE ROOM when performing for Dementia residents...I've had to many mishaps and close calls...be careful out there. wink

Edited by Dnj (05/03/16 07:09 AM)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online