SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#420391 - 04/24/16 03:59 PM Dress for success ?!?!?
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Like most of us I am sure, I always dress "for the gig" ... For NH/AL gigs it is always a shirt and tie, upscale restaurants depending on the season it is jacket, shirt, tie, or a real dressy sport, and always with a nice pair of slacks, outdoor gigs depending on the weather and venue it could be a colorful 'Hawaiian' style shirt and slacks or shorts ... and we all know how Gary dresses for his gigs ... but yesterday I was talking with the sax player from the band in NY and we were discussing how many musicians 'dress' today ... with the band, it was ALWAYS the latest style tux and shirt, bow ties, patent leather shoes, pocket square, etc. ... today 'wedding bands' often wear dark shirts with a tie, sometimes with a jacket, and nice slacks ... The aforementioned sax player, the guitar player from the NY band and I had gone to see the 'easy listening' jazz group "Spyro Gyra" at a jazz club in Boston ... most of the band members were wearing jeans ... one of my friends commented that he remembered when the musicians dressed better than the audience ...

#420393 - 04/24/16 04:49 PM Re: Dress for success ?!?!? [Re: tony mads usa]
Jerry T Offline

Loc: Phila. 'burbs, Pa. USA
The rule of thumb used to be 'one up'. If guests dressed in shorts and super casual, musicians were casual; guests - casual, you - business casual; guests - business casual, you - business suit and tie; guests dressed to the 9's - you tux ...

#420395 - 04/24/16 05:15 PM Re: Dress for success ?!?!? [Re: tony mads usa]
Dnj Offline

society's dress code has gone in the toilet....look at these kids the way they are dressed for school?.....or even at weddings today I see people with sneakers,and construction booths no suits,tux etc,...it's a free for all out there so sad...the dress codes of yesterday is a thing of the past. Times have changed not necessarily for the better..

#420422 - 04/25/16 07:24 AM Re: Dress for success ?!?!? [Re: tony mads usa]
musicforyourday Offline

Loc: So California, USA
not to mention the Tatoos now if you want to get them it your business but you got to look very hard to find a girl with out them esp the demo 25 to 35 years full arms it just a different time .

#420424 - 04/25/16 07:38 AM Re: Dress for success ?!?!? [Re: tony mads usa]
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Well, not that I'm fully retired and sailing during much of the time, I no longer have a need for more than 20 satin shirts and a dozen embroidered, silk vests. All of the shirts are size Large with matching ties and all the vests are size Large as well. I also have a pair of patten leather shoes size 12 that have only been worn a few times, two black tuxedos size 44L and one tux with a white jacket, same size. I'm open to any reasonable offers. Nigel, you would look great in these outfits. smile And, Donny, since you've lost all that weight again, they would fit you as well.

All the best,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#420425 - 04/25/16 07:47 AM Re: Dress for success ?!?!? [Re: musicforyourday]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: musicforyourday
not to mention the Tatoos now if you want to get them it your business but you got to look very hard to find a girl with out them esp the demo 25 to 35 years full arms it just a different time .

Tatoos is a thing of this generation, its best to learn and live with them...

But someone with tatoos can also still dress for the ocasion, and i think thats the miracle word, dress for the ocasion.. if you have a gig at a swimingpool catering to mid 20's and youger requires totally different clothing (as well as music choice) as playing on grannies golden marriage in a luxury restaurant...

Even ladies with full arm tatoos can look classy

http://keyszone.boards.net

#420432 - 04/25/16 09:33 AM Re: Dress for success ?!?!? [Re: tony mads usa]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
As many of you know, I play most of the time at the same place. When I first started playing there, in late 80's, I wore a tux every night, and so did the other guys who worked there, and so did the waiters. Even the bus boys dressed nice. A coat and tie was required for gentlemen to be served. We even kept some there for those that forgot theirs. It had been that way for 30 years at the time.
Now the waiters wear black pants, white shirt and a black vest. They still look nice, but no tux. Someo the customers still dress up; most don't. You can wear shorts and a tee shirt as long as your credit card isn't maxed out. frown
I wear slacks and a sport coat, no tie. I usually wear a hat. Nobody else who has entertained there in the past 7 or 8 years has dressed even close to that nice. Most guys wear jeans. One "band" wore tee shirts that had a picture of a tux on the front. frown A couple of the girls that have been there occasionally dress o.k., but certainly not evening gowns as they used to wear.
Times have changed. I'm sorry they have. I still drag out a tux on N.Y.'s Eve, just to make a statement.

#420435 - 04/25/16 09:40 AM Re: Dress for success ?!?!? [Re: tony mads usa]
mirza Offline

Loc: london,ontario.canada
It all depends where I play. If it is a wedding ,of course I wear something nice. If it is a bar , a T-shirt works too. At the who really cares? And what is wrong with tattos? It is like not hiring someone because it is a girl.
I have no tattos on me. None, nor I will ever have any. But I couldn't care less if someone I play has any. It is how they play and are they ok people to work with.

TYROS 5,BEHRINGER X32PRODUCER,YAMAHA DSR112,JBL PRX618s XLF,EV ZLX12p,SENNHEISER E945,....ETC

#420436 - 04/25/16 09:48 AM Re: Dress for success ?!?!? [Re: mirza]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
I will be playing a wedding of a young couple in a couple of weeks ... not a big affair - about 100 ppl or so - the bride and groom have heard me play before, in fact they were recently at a 4 hour dinner/dance I played so they now what music they will be getting ... I will wear a black suit with a black dress shirt and a solid silver grey silk tie ... I'm willing to bet that other than the bridal party I will be one of the best dressed people there ...

#420437 - 04/25/16 09:49 AM Re: Dress for success ?!?!? [Re: tony mads usa]
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
This is why I only play at nudest camps.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online