SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#420242 - 04/21/16 11:31 PM Re: Entertaining at Nursing homes etc.. [Re: Dnj]
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
These videos look too "slick." How many of you think they are professionally filmed and edited? And maybe the entertainer filmed by himself superimposed onto a video where the camera person "hired" a bunch of animated people to sit around a room, played some canned rock 'n roll, and filmed their reactions, and then put the two together. Somehow I can't see residents who can't even walk now doing a Conga line.

I personally don't think these musicians are that good that everyone in the listening audience suddenly becomes a dancing machine.

So.......what do YOU think?

M

#420260 - 04/22/16 06:58 AM Re: Entertaining at Nursing homes etc.. [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Mark, I think they are the real deal, and I had assisted living residents who could barely walk without a walker or cane in a Conga Line while I sang and played Hot Hot Hot.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#420263 - 04/22/16 07:36 AM Re: Entertaining at Nursing homes etc.. [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: travlin'easy
Mark, I think they are the real deal, and I had assisted living residents who could barely walk without a walker or cane in a Conga Line while I sang and played Hot Hot Hot.

Gary cool

DITTO dance

#420289 - 04/22/16 02:05 PM Re: Entertaining at Nursing homes etc.. [Re: Dnj]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
laugh2 ... my mom - may she rest in piece - used a cane from the time she was about 80 yrs of age - she passed away at 93 yrs. - whenever she went to a party the first thing she did was put her cane on the back of a chair and head to the dance floor ...

#420291 - 04/22/16 03:19 PM Re: Entertaining at Nursing homes etc.. [Re: Mark79100]
124 Offline

Originally Posted By: Mark79100
These videos look too "slick." How many of you think they are professionally filmed and edited? And maybe the entertainer filmed by himself superimposed onto a video where the camera person "hired" a bunch of animated people to sit around a room, played some canned rock 'n roll, and filmed their reactions, and then put the two together. Somehow I can't see residents who can't even walk now doing a Conga line.

I personally don't think these musicians are that good that everyone in the listening audience suddenly becomes a dancing machine.

M
What do I think?

One video is far and away professionally produced - obviously, and nothing wrong with that. And your second sentence is, well, surprised

Clearly, the ones doing a conga line are mobile enough, but let's not forget those who are unable to take part are doing it in their own way. And that's what counts to them, not the casual observances of a YT video.

These entertainers are the troops in the trenches Donny often refers to, and wouldn't profess to be top drawer musicians. So give 'em some credit for what they do do, bringing a bit of joy into someone's life.

#420293 - 04/22/16 03:45 PM Re: Entertaining at Nursing homes etc.. [Re: 124]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Piano Guys have their act together...they can play. the others are a little embarrassing...I suspect excusing their meritocracy
by focusing on the venue and the "good" they're doing.

I think that's a real cop-out.

R.

PS. If the piano guys did not hire a pro to film and edit, they're as good at film as they are music and entertaining.

The difference, as it is here, is lighting and audio mixing.

Good Stuff!

Edited by captain Russ (04/22/16 04:36 PM)

#420299 - 04/22/16 09:19 PM Re: Entertaining at Nursing homes etc.. [Re: Dnj]
Mark79100 Offline

On the one hand, I always have the movie "Alive Inside" in the back of my mind.....how music could work miracles for many mentally challenged people. I don't doubt that for a second.

On the other hand, I go with Russ on this one. Outside of the "Piano Guys" I don't think these other entertainers are as exciting as they portray themselves in their videos. But then again, I didn't think music would ever turn into the "free-for-all" that it eventually did!

But the reason I mentioned these "Musicgate" videos in the first place was because it might have discouraged any nursing home beginners in this group from starting down that road, thinking they "could never be that good!"

Mark

#420300 - 04/22/16 09:44 PM Re: Entertaining at Nursing homes etc.. [Re: 124]
Mark79100 Offline

Originally Posted By: Mark79100

Mark

Originally Posted By: 124
What do I think?

One video is far and away professionally produced - obviously, and nothing wrong with that. And your second sentence is, well, surprised

Clearly, the ones doing a conga line are mobile enough, but let's not forget those who are unable to take part are doing it in their own way. And that's what counts to them, not the casual observances of a YT video.

These entertainers are the troops in the trenches Donny often refers to, and wouldn't profess to be top drawer musicians. So give 'em some credit for what they do do, bringing a bit of joy into someone's life.

124......I'm guessing you don't watch enough television commercials to understand how they reek with duplicity! Or MTV video's, as in the Milli Vanilli lip-sync scandal back in the 90's!

The one thing I believe in strongly is NOT to believe anything that causes me to IMMEDIATELY believe in it. Well.....I DO believe politicians in their campaign speeches. It's a known fact that ALL politicians are honest and filled with integrity!

Mark

#420305 - 04/22/16 10:33 PM Re: Entertaining at Nursing homes etc.. [Re: Dnj]
124 Offline

You're right on the money there, Mark. Other than sport and news, I don't watch any TV. Plus, I do have a healthy (unhealthy?) slice of cynicism, but I can't go as far as you in believing 90% of what politicians say - though I do note a heavy air of tongue-in-cheek on your comment there.:)

Re. those videos, I absolutely agree with yourself and Russ about the level of musical ability in the Piano Guys. The other two, well they're less than stellar, to be kind, and I certainly wouldn't like to be regarded in the same light.

But, as mentioned, regardless of the 'quality' of the product, all three of those acts are brightening the day of their audiences. That's the end result. Now, whether that's accomplished with brilliance of musical performance or by just stumbling along, is not, as Russ put it, "a real cop out". It is the tangible result of their efforts, whether we enjoy it or not.

Maybe it's just me, but if I can go out and make someone happy (maybe I should resurrect that one :)) then I'm proud to do just that.

#420340 - 04/23/16 01:33 PM Re: Entertaining at Nursing homes etc.. [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Over the years, I've watched lots of movies on TV, which of course, triggered me to learn all those incredible movie themes. smile

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online