SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#419237 - 04/06/16 05:27 AM Re: So When Is a Good Time to Pack it In ?? [Re: Bill Lewis]
124 Offline

It's in my list, too. I use it as a warmup piece, bass inversions, phat voicings. Lots of scope on that tune.

#419272 - 04/06/16 10:57 AM Re: So When Is a Good Time to Pack it In ?? [Re: Bill Lewis]
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
Bill:

Your post caught my eye because from 1990-1999 I lived in Savannah and from 1999-2007 I lived in Hilton Head SC. At first I was working a computer admin day job on the island and playing keys at night and then I went to just playing fulltime. I was lucky to have some steady gigs on HHI and private parties and stuff in Savannah so I had it made for a while. I also played in a trio but eventually just played solo. Island life was excellent and I bought a condo near the beach at a good time.

Sounds crazy but eventually I got tired of Hilton Head - the good gigs that I used to play at went away and the condos all around me turned into timeshares. The whole island started out as friendly retirees and eventually became short-term drunk vacationers... life on the island lost it's charm and I got bored with the beach so I sold my condo just before the 2008 housing market collapsed (I was lucky). I bought myself one last chance to start over. The housing market was soft in Atlanta and I bought a nice house and found another computer job. Soon after I found a really good blues/rock band, and even though I will turn 60 this year I feel like a kid again when I play out.

The band has lifted me and I really enjoy playing with peers once more. I always have my solo gig in my back pocket (all my music is on my iPad and I still have a Yamaha 900 Pro, Tyros 3 and a Korg Microarranger) but these days I rock with a Hammond SK2 more than anything else.

So of course I miss Hilton Head a little but starting over in Atlanta has been good. And BTW, a plumber told me privately that he was seeing water rising in the foundations all over Hilton Head little by little, and that was back in 2008. My own condo had a little water in the first floor bathroom that we could never get rid of. I believe that the oceans are rising around the island and if that doesn't sink the place then one day the island will get hit by a hurricane - even a Category 1 will flood all the way to I-95. So enjoy "the low country" while you can and good luck!

#419280 - 04/06/16 12:36 PM Re: So When Is a Good Time to Pack it In ?? [Re: Bill Lewis]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Jim, I remember when you played those jobs at HH, those were the good old days. It was you that gave me the idea to purchase the Bob The Flame lights and my audiences absolutely loved them. I sold my last one to Don Mason a few months ago.

All the best,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#419284 - 04/06/16 01:14 PM Re: So When Is a Good Time to Pack it In ?? [Re: Bill Lewis]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Yes, people love the Flame. It certainly draws attention.
Glad to hear you are doing well Esh. You should hook up with Chas!

#419349 - 04/07/16 07:08 AM Re: So When Is a Good Time to Pack it In ?? [Re: Bill Lewis]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Jim

Thanks for your uplifting post about the future of Hilton Head LOL! BTW, I'm not on Hilton Head but directly inland in Bluffton. My community is 10 miles from the HH bridge and on one of the highest points in Bluffton. Did you know Bluffton is called that because its on a Bluff overlooking HH. Love trivia. We are not in a flood zone so no flood insurance needed. The oceans are rising and being 7 block from the beach in Cape May NJ I saw the water table get higher the last few years there. Wind would be our big concern but where can you move that doesn't have some sort of weather problem ? Bluffton is growing rapidly and houses sell very quickly. Hilton Head is for the vacationers and God Bless them for geting drunk and throwing their money around. I love a full tip bucket. Bluffton is for the full timers and our neighborhood is a nice mix of young families, working adults and retirees. Very quiet.
I'm sure the music market has changed since you were here but hasn't it everywhere ?
I've seen enough in my 7 months here to know its very similar to NJ so you have to go with the flow ( flooding pun ).
Good luck with your band, I'd love to have an excuse to get an SK2.

#419431 - 04/08/16 09:43 AM Re: So When Is a Good Time to Pack it In ?? [Re: Bill Lewis]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
That would be GREAT, NIGEL!

R.

#419435 - 04/08/16 09:53 AM Re: So When Is a Good Time to Pack it In ?? [Re: Bill Lewis]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I would hate to play it with you, because I would feel quite inadequate. I'd be afraid I'd miss a chord somewhere and risk ridicule. smile

#419449 - 04/08/16 12:39 PM Re: So When Is a Good Time to Pack it In ?? [Re: Bill Lewis]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
ABSOLUTELY NOT, Mason! If anything, I'd be afraid that I don't do the right kind of backing/support.

You have a track record and an ability anyone would be proud of.

Only an idiot would ever say anything negative.

Russ (# 1 Mason fan) Lay

Edited by captain Russ (04/08/16 12:40 PM)

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online