SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#418852 - 03/29/16 10:48 AM Looking for a gigging keyboard
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
OK, I'm 67, looking for a keyboard to last my remaining gigging years.

I've been using my Tyros 4 for gigs(about 10 a month). It's become my trusted friend when gigging.

Thing is I bought my Tyros 4 for a good price as a used demo and it's time to replace it...time for it to become my backup.

So where to next?

I tried the PSR series...great keyboards but(as much as I wanted my PSR's to be) just not in the same league with my Tyros

I have the opportunity to buy a PA 4X but I can't decide if it's a PSR S970 on steroids or a Tyros wannabe.

I'm seriously leaning toward a Tyros 5, 61 key. But I've heard the Tyros 4 sounds better than the Tyros 5 gig wise.

Like others, I thought about waiting for the Tyros 6. But there's some clues here...and all the clues lead to a $6K+ Montage type keyboard. Not at all practical, price wise, for those of us who play for old folks.

Thing is, whatever I get. It will be my main keyboard...and if it lasts 8 or 9 years....well I'll be asking Garyif I can cruise on out with him on his boat.

smile

Edited by guitpic1 (03/29/16 10:51 AM)

#418856 - 03/29/16 11:29 AM Re: Looking for a gigging keyboard [Re: guitpic1]
Dnj Offline

Stick with what you have for now T4 or S970 is more then enough to gig with, 10 jobs a month isn't alot at all,...technology will change faster then you can blink and eye, these kb's are just tools to enhance whatever talent you have inside you,...just wait and see what comes out next and if it fits your needs or not you can decide then,..what's the rush you have the rest of your life to buy gear...
or try something totally different like the vArranger with a Laptop and controller KB this way Dan is always upgrading it and you'll have an arranger to gig with for years to come..or give a shot to KORG pa4x, Pa900, KETRON Audya or SD7, Roland BK9, there isn't that much left to choose from these days in an arranger KB

have fun

Edited by Dnj (03/29/16 12:18 PM)

#418857 - 03/29/16 12:03 PM Re: Looking for a gigging keyboard [Re: guitpic1]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
PA4X is definitely NOT a wannabee. It's the best all around arranger I've ever had. Your mileage may differ.

#418858 - 03/29/16 12:03 PM Re: Looking for a gigging keyboard [Re: Dnj]
guitpic1 Offline

Originally Posted By: Dnj
Stick with what you have for now T4 is more then enough to gig with, 10 jobs a month isn't alot at all...have fun

Donny, good point.

Thing is by by noon each day, I have three(sometimes four) gigs in as a teacher....15 -20 gigs a week before noon, all paying more than if I was doing music.

Thing is, I'm soon to be done with teaching I think.

I'm looking toward my last career before I sail off into that sunset with Gary.

smile

#418859 - 03/29/16 12:07 PM Re: Looking for a gigging keyboard [Re: DonM]
guitpic1 Offline

Originally Posted By: DonM
PA4X is definitely NOT a wannabee. It's the best all around arranger I've ever had. Your mileage may differ.

TX Don, like everyone else here, I trust yor judgement.

Ever owned or used aTyros?

Edited by guitpic1 (03/29/16 12:09 PM)

#418860 - 03/29/16 12:33 PM Re: Looking for a gigging keyboard [Re: guitpic1]
guitpic1 Offline

Just found out(phone call), Tyros 5 not available until August 5th.

#418861 - 03/29/16 12:43 PM Re: Looking for a gigging keyboard [Re: guitpic1]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: guitpic1

I'm seriously leaning toward a Tyros 5, 61 key. But I've heard the Tyros 4 sounds better than the Tyros 5 gig wise.

I can't agree YOU the player make any arranger sound better...
T4, T5, S970 all do a amazing job not too much difference sound wise especially in the trenches if you know what your doing,...and size/weight matters in that respect also reason I use a S970...

Edited by Dnj (03/29/16 12:44 PM)

#418863 - 03/29/16 01:38 PM Re: Looking for a gigging keyboard [Re: guitpic1]
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Donny is right on the money - 10 jobs a month is about 25 percent of what he does now and what I did until health issues caused me to retire. It's not the keyboard, it's the person behind the keyboard. If that person is a good entertainer they can work as much or little as they wish.

I still have my gigging rig, which consists of a PSR-S950, Bose L1 Compact and all the accessories that make it easy to set up, tear down, and get to the next job on time. From your posts, I'm assuming that you rely heavily on your vocals, which is what most of the more successful OMB entertainers do. The PSR Series does an excellent job of providing outstanding backing for your vocals, it's relatively lightweight, easy OS, and sounds incredible. Even Don Mason will tell you that, though he has jumped ship for a Korg.

If I were in your shoes, I would concentrate more on my vocals, add a lot of variety to your play list, and go from there. You have the hardware, and apparently, have the talent. Just expand on what you now have and you'll do just fine.

All the best,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#418864 - 03/29/16 02:07 PM Re: Looking for a gigging keyboard [Re: guitpic1]
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
Guipic1
Over the last 3 years I have tried the S910, S950, and the PA900 thinking I could lighten my load and be a happy camper. All three got sold and I returned to my Tyros 4. I have also spent about 2 hours with a Bose L1 Compact hooked up to a S970 at the Guitar Center store and I can assure you that it does not have the same quality of the Tyros 4. For this test I took a thumb drive with me with all my gig setups so I would be hearing the same things. I also did tweak a few with S970 sounds but still did not gear the T4 quality.

Maybe someday we will see a lighter TOTL system but for now I would not move away from my Tyros 4. Oh yes, you say you are 67, well I will be 76 in June and gig about 12-15 times a month.

Deane

#418865 - 03/29/16 02:35 PM Re: Looking for a gigging keyboard [Re: guitpic1]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: guitpic1
Originally Posted By: DonM

TX Don, like everyone else here, I trust yor judgement.

Ever owned or used aTyros?

No, atleast not a Tyros 5...

Both are awesome instruments, personally i think i would even prefer pa4x for gigs ( better styles, better build quallity, better vocalizer, equall sound quallity, better piano sound).. In the end you build your own performances and sounds..

Tyros 5 however definately has more to offer for advanced hobby players. Ensemble voices, sa2 sounds, expansion packs... In the end, this is perfect for sit and play and use the content others created..

So choose your poison, or do as Donny said, stick with what you have as thats more then enough for gigging and making money..

http://keyszone.boards.net

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online