SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#418177 - 03/11/16 01:52 PM RIP Keith Emerson
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Just read where Keith Emerson passed away at 71. He was the number one influnce that had me stay with piano when I was going to give it up at about 17 years of age. His rendition when he played with the band the Nice of "Rondo" aka Brubeck's "Blue Rondo Ala Turk" hooked me.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/k...-at-71-20160311

P.S. Really disappointed to hear this was a suicide!! frown

Edited by Stephenm52 (03/11/16 07:05 PM)

#418185 - 03/11/16 06:39 PM Re: RIP Keith Emerson [Re: Stephenm52]
Dnj Offline

RIP

#418288 - 03/14/16 04:55 PM Re: RIP Keith Emerson [Re: Dnj]
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
Back in 1997 I received back stage passes to see ELP 2 days after Princess Diana passed away. It was the 1st date of a USA tour. A moment of silence was observed for the Princess.

Keith Emerson was a big General Music fan. Chris Anthony, the General Music demonstrator back in the late 90's & many years after.
Chris Anthony, is by far the best arranger demonstrator I've ever heard. Total respect to Chris.

WHY GENERAL MUSIC ?

Emerson loved anything keyboards. GEM had some great success.

Many people do not realize that GEM was the 1st company to have a large LCD display that could display notation,chords & lyrics. I believe the SK series. GEM utilized computer hard drives for storage & incorporated wave syncopation.

Keith Emerson was a pioneer. RIP

Edited by DanO1 (03/14/16 04:59 PM)

#418319 - 03/15/16 12:43 PM Re: RIP Keith Emerson [Re: Stephenm52]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Dano that must have been cool, would have loved to have had backstage passes!!

Reprinted from an article from Billboard

The following excerpt hit me,
He was a perfectionist and the thought he wouldn't play perfectly made him depressed, nervous and anxious."

Here's the text of the article and a direct link to it

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/7256311/keith-emerson-death-suicide-health-issues

Emerson, Lake & Palmer keyboardist Keith Emerson died last week (March 10) at age 71. Following the sad news, Santa Monica police confirmed Emerson died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head, with his death being ruled a suicide.

Over the weekend, Emerson's girlfriend Mari Kawaguchi -- who found his body at their shared California residence -- spoke to U.K. publication Daily Mail and shed some light onto why the legendary keyboard player may have taken his own life.

Keith Emerson Dead at 71

"His right hand and arm had given him problems for years. He had an operation a few years ago to take out a bad muscle but the pain and nerve issues in his right hand were getting worse," she said. "He had concerts coming up in Japan and even though they hired a back-up keyboard player to support him, Keith was worried. He read all the criticism online and was a sensitive soul. Last year he played concerts and people posted mean comments such as, 'I wish he would stop playing.' He was tormented with worry that he wouldn't be good enough. He was planning to retire after Japan. He didn't want to let down his fans. He was a perfectionist and the thought he wouldn't play perfectly made him depressed, nervous and anxious."

8 Essential Keith Emerson Songs

In addition to his classic work in the prog-rock canon with Emerson, Lake & Palmer, Emerson also performed with influential British band The Nice in the '60s.

Edited by Stephenm52 (03/15/16 12:44 PM)

#418339 - 03/15/16 10:34 PM Re: RIP Keith Emerson [Re: Stephenm52]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Originally Posted By: Stephenm52

P.S. Really disappointed to hear this was a suicide!! frown

RIP Keith you will be missed. I guess that losing the ability to play keyboard anymore was too much for him to live with.

#418363 - 03/16/16 09:54 AM Re: RIP Keith Emerson [Re: Nigel]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
A number of years ago I started taking piano lessons ... after a while I was developing pain in my forearm ... An orthopedist diagnosed it as a form of tendonitis - tennis elbow? - ... it worsened as I tried to continue playing piano and my piano teacher referred me to an article about Keith Emerson's arm problems ... I don't know if I would have developed the same problem, but I decided to forego the piano and stick with an arranger KB ...

It is a shame Keith couldn't come to grips with his problem, but we do not know what goes on inside someone else's brain ...
It's an even worse shame that people have to make derogatory comments without knowing the facts ...
RIP, Keith ...

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online