SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#41780 - 08/26/03 10:36 AM KN7000 - Newbie With A Sequencer Question
Mr Showbiz Offline

Loc: Chicagoland (Illinois) USA
Hi everyone, I've been reading the board since deciding to get the KN7000, and am really amazed at the consistent great advice and knowledge that is shared here. This is my first post and I hope there is someone out there who can help me with this problem. I have had brief contact with a couple of people about this but I really need a step-by-step instruction for this. Also, I've only had my KN7000 for a week and a half and am still getting acquainted with its operation. This is my first Technics keyboard.

I am attempting to arrange/orchestrate an original song (among other things I compose for musical theater). I am using the sequencer to do this. The song I'm having trouble with is complicated and here's what I am experiencing: The song is 180 measures long. The first 45 measures are in 4/4 time at a velocity of 85. The next 100 or so measures are in 3/4 time at velocity 144. The remainder of the song returns to 4/4 time at 85 velocity. I used step record in Control Track 6 at the start of the song and set the 4/4 timing and the speed at the first beat of the first measure. I set the 3/4 time and the 144 speed at the first beat of the 46th measure using step record. I then step recorded the return to the original 4/4 time at speed 85 at the first beat of measure 155. During playback, the first time change and speed change work perfectly, but it doesn't work the second time. It seems that extra, blank measures get put into all the tracks as the speed and the 3/4 time continue to play until measure 190 (even though the change is set at measure 155). At measure 190, everything I've recorded to start at 155 now shows up. This is very weird -- remember, there are only 180 measures total. I go back to step record everything "looks" right, but what I see is not what the sequencer is playing back. Does anyone know what could be going on? How can this be fixed? Is there another way to do this which might work better or more easily? I cannot imagine that the keyboard isn't capable of doing time and speed changes, so I'm probably doing something wrong.

I hope I explained this properly. I've had no trouble at all arranging my other songs, but I 've got a couple more that have time changes in them and I'm hoping I can get this to work.

The keyboard is really awesome; for a newbie like me it had a more complicated "learning curve" to it than I expected, but considering how much it can do and how well it seems to do most everything, taking a good deal of time to learn how to do everything is well worth it. Thanks in advance for any suggestions or help you can provide.

Doug

#41781 - 08/26/03 11:54 AM Re: KN7000 - Newbie With A Sequencer Question
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Mr. SB .... While I can't answer your question, I would like to be the first to welcome you to 'techieland', and wish you luck with your new kb ... I am sure someone here will be able to set you in the right direction....
t.

#41782 - 08/26/03 12:34 PM Re: KN7000 - Newbie With A Sequencer Question
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Hi Doug and welcome to THE Forum
I would suggest that the easiest way to do this is to set the individual Panel Memories with each Tempo, style (4/4 or 3/4), Sounds RT1,RT2 Left, Technicord etc.
Having done this, press and hold the 'SET' button in the middle of the Panel Memories. When the Panel Memory Mode screen appears, select 'EXPAND' and then Page 2. Make sure that 'RHYTHM SELECTION' and 'TEMPO' are 'ON'
After you have carried out this set up, you can either just play your arrangement into the sequencer, changing the Panel Memories at appropriate times as you play, or, if you already have your arrangement recorded in the sequencer, use the Step Record Editor, to insert the Panel Memory change points, in the Control track.

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#41783 - 08/27/03 10:19 AM Re: KN7000 - Newbie With A Sequencer Question
Mr Showbiz Offline

Loc: Chicagoland (Illinois) USA
Thanks very much for the warm welcome, Tony and Willum.

Willum, I tried your suggestion but it didn't work for me. However, your thoughts on doing this made me look for the solution from a different perspective. And I did indeed solve the problem. Thanks, Willum, for pointing me in the right direction.

For the benefit of anyone else who may be having trouble changing both time signature and speed in a sequenced song, here is how to do it:

Step 1: Count the total number of measures you have in your song. Make a notation of the measure number where each time signature change and each velocity change occurs.

Step 2: Go to the sequencer, name your new song, then go to the record option.

Step 3: Choose step record.

Step 4: First, you should set the time signature. You do this in Track 7, Rhythm, so choose Track 7 to step record. You will be at the first beat of the first measure of the song. This is where you will set your first time signature.

I think the easiest way to do this is to use one of program buttons to the left of the screen. I use Ballroom because I know there are both 3/4 and 4/4 selections there. So, push the Ballroom button and then choose Ballroom Waltz for a 3/4 time signature or any of the foxtrot selections for a 4/4 selection. For TIMING, it makes no difference which one you choose. Click on the one you want and it will be placed at the start of your song. Let's say you choose Quick Foxtrot. Push that button you you've set your song to start in 4/4.

Step 5: Go to the next measure number where you introduce a new time signature. When you are at the first beat of that measure, push the Ballroom button again and then choose Ballroom Waltz. Let's say you're changing time signature at measure 50. Go to Measure 50, push the Ballroom program button, push the Ballroom Waltz button, and you have now set a 3/4 time signature at Measure 50. Continue in this same manner until you have chosen and set all your time signature changes.

Step 6: Now you will set the Speed (which is why I said it doesn't matter which "dance selection" in Ballroom you choose). Go back to Step Record. Speed is set on Track 6, CONTROL, so push Track 6 to step record.

Step 7: Just like you did with time signatures, go to the appropriate measure number for your speed change. If your song starts at speed 100, the first beat of measure 1 should be programmed to 100. Use the circular dial to set the speed. When you have the speed you want, push the OK button. Your speed is now set. Go to your next measure where you need to change the speed, use the dial, set the speed at the number you want and push OK. Continue through to the end. You can now go to any other track and record your instrumentation.

That's all that there is to it. Although it isn't hard to do, for being new to the KN7000 it wasn't obvious to me and the manual was fairly vague about this issue and I'm happy to share the how-to on this for anyone else who may be having trouble figuring out this procedure. Time signatures are set on Track 7, speed is set of Track 6.

Remember, you must FIRST set the time signatures. If you record any other track first, you will not be allowed to change the time signature and will get an error message. But, once everything is set up, you can realtime record from start to end and all your time signatures and appropriate speeds flow together smoothly with no cutting and pasting from "dummy tracks".

You can always go back to Step Record to change your speed on Track 6, but once the time signature is set and you have recorded anything on any other track, you cannot change the time signatures without deleting EVERYTHING from EVERY other track. That's why counting to the correct measure of the placement of the time signature page is so important and is also why it is the first thing you must do.

As far as "non-standard" time signatures, such as 5/4, I understand you can create and save this in the Composer, and once you create and save it you can access it similarly to the example of using Ballroom, above. You just have to go to the place you saved the time signature in the Composer instead.

I hope this information proves helpful to anyone else out here who is looking at an easy way to do this. I'm really glad to be able to participate in this terrific Forum.

Doug

#41784 - 08/27/03 02:21 PM Re: KN7000 - Newbie With A Sequencer Question
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Hi Doug, Glad you found a solution to your problem. However, I can't understand why my approach didn't work for you - I've used this method many times to change Tempo, Styles, Sounds, Technichord setups etc. in a single sequence and it works well.......

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online