SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#417444 - 02/27/16 08:39 AM Roland KC-880 & Korg PA 4X combo....Done did it...
Steve A Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
After much wrestling and contemplation. I just ordered the Roland KC-880 to match with my Korg PA 4X for a permanent place at the Church. (Keyboard does not stay there)

Couldn't go the BOSE route or comparable, because they have Choir members through the house system. Me singing & playing out of an elite system and the rest of the Choir through the house would've created a disconnect. I will run my VOX & Keyboard through the Roland and DI out to the house system.....I know, I know, but I still have to sound great vocally and am not pleased with how they set me....

Plus, I can leave a keyboard amp there and would not leave a full PA there. I can always purchase a solo rig if I need it, but I am more into the recording these days and used the other grand to buy studio monitors and $300 headphones. Been mixing and tracking on $30 TASCAMS for 4 years now.....LOL

I was playing my keyboard through my Fishman Artist Performer on 1 channel with my Acoustic Guitar on the other. Really compromised my sound.

Anyways, now I can play acoustic guitar through my Fishman Artist and now I can use my solo piano, sequences, & live Arranger through something to now hear the bottom end of the PA 4X.....

Thoughts on my purchase of the Roland KC-880 for the PA 4X?

#417445 - 02/27/16 08:48 AM Re: Roland KC-880 & Korg PA 4X combo....Done did it... [Re: Steve A]
Dnj Offline

Good luck Steve with your new gear I know you will put it to good use..keep us posted on your experiences using it with the KORG Pa4x..

http://www.rolandus.com/products/kc-880/

#417515 - 02/28/16 08:36 AM Re: Roland KC-880 & Korg PA 4X combo....Done did it... [Re: Steve A]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Good luck with the 880. Your going to have plenty of power and bottom end with that amp. Just as long as you don't have to move it.
Not to be negative but I would of chosen to go the Powered Pa cabinet route. A pair of good quality 12" or 15" QSCs, JBls, Yamahas would be more versatile. You could spread them apart for a better stereo sound and even put them on stands. Nice to be able to take one home with you for a gig or practice. I'm using a pair of JBL 515xt cabinets that are only 32lbs. but they can handle anything.
Have fun with your new setup. Definatly pull up a pipe organ patch with some heavy bass pedal sounds and raise the roof !

#417520 - 02/28/16 09:51 AM Re: Roland KC-880 & Korg PA 4X combo....Done did it... [Re: Bill Lewis]
musicforyourday Offline

Loc: So California, USA
I agree about the powered Speaker comment I have had Roland units in the past and they are good but powered Speakers give a mush better option for Keyboards .

#417523 - 02/28/16 10:07 AM Re: Roland KC-880 & Korg PA 4X combo....Done did it... [Re: Steve A]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
+1 on the (good quality) powered speakers. One guy over on KC says "the only thing he'd put through a Roland amp is a chainsaw". I would tend to agree with that but only up to the KC550; I have no experience with the KC880 which might be a killer amp, but generally, what Bill said about about the increased flexibility of two powered speakers has certainly been true in my experience. I have a Traynor K4 which I think is pretty darn good for what it is, but it doesn't compare to my EV Sx250's. BUT, every playing situation is different and for YOUR needs, the kC880 may be a better choice. In any case, enjoy your new rig. It probably sounds teriffic. Sure wish I could work up some enthusiam for some new gear; I still remember the excitement. Must be old age. Oh well.

chas

#417541 - 02/28/16 04:39 PM Re: Roland KC-880 & Korg PA 4X combo....Done did it... [Re: cgiles]
Steve A Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Originally Posted By: cgiles
+1 on the (good quality) powered speakers. One guy over on KC says "the only thing he'd put through a Roland amp is a chainsaw". I would tend to agree with that but only up to the KC550; I have no experience with the KC880 which might be a killer amp, but generally, what Bill said about about the increased flexibility of two powered speakers has certainly been true in my experience. I have a Traynor K4 which I think is pretty darn good for what it is, but it doesn't compare to my EV Sx250's. BUT, every playing situation is different and for YOUR needs, the kC880 may be a better choice. In any case, enjoy your new rig. It probably sounds teriffic. Sure wish I could work up some enthusiam for some new gear; I still remember the excitement. Must be old age. Oh well.

chas

LOL to all who suggested the Powered amp...I was also hesitant as maybe I should go PA/Bose...But things changed AFTER THIS POST....I actually stopped this order as I got a Best Buy Credit Limit for $800. So buying a Computer and have a $2000 order for Pro Tools/Interface & killer monitors.

Wasn't keen on spending 1k on a keyboard amp to play 30 minutes a week.

IT'S NOW ON IN THE HOME STUDIO WITH THE PA 4X

#417554 - 02/28/16 07:18 PM Re: Roland KC-880 & Korg PA 4X combo....Done did it... [Re: Steve A]
J. Larry Offline

Loc: University, MS 38677 USA
I prefer the sound of my arranger through powered monitor (recording) speakers that are bi-amped, rather than powered PA speakers.

#417556 - 02/28/16 07:40 PM Re: Roland KC-880 & Korg PA 4X combo....Done did it... [Re: Steve A]
musicforyourday Offline

Loc: So California, USA
Steve Good Decision get a good pair of Powered Speakers I have several sizes if you look at the QSC K 8 I have had a pair of these for 5 years and prob 2000 gigs on them and they still sound as good as they did the day I got them .

I am looking at a line aray system as well but canceling the Roland Amp is prob a good decision .

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online