keys

#416982 - 02/19/16 06:42 AM Re: Roland BK9 sounding real good.... [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

headphone

#416993 - 02/19/16 11:07 AM Re: Roland BK9 sounding real good.... [Re: ]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: rosetree
Originally Posted By: Bachus

I mostly agree, but you forget about one thing, the axial database, EXP07 would add a total of 100 Brass and sax sounds of the highest (including supernatural) quallity..

Bachus, sorry to correct you, but you are wrong there about SuperNatural sounds! You would be very shocked to find out after buying the FA: You CANNOT add supernatural sounds to it from Axial or anywhere else. The EXP-07 is identical to the SRX-10, you can check in your Integra: it has orchestral trumpet, trombone and French horn sections, but no solo brass (except tuba) and no saxophones. All the EXPs are identical to the former SRX boards, and none of them have superNatural sounds on them. And there are no really good saxophones on any of the SRX boards, there are fairly good ones on SRX 03 (EXP Studio), but they are bay far not as good as those from BK-9/7m, which were obviously samples by Roland Europe, as I don't know any Roland synthesizer on which they appear.
The other Axial collections you can load into the FA (besides EXP) are merely reedited sounds based on the SN-Synth waveforms that are already in the FA.
So, it is nice that you can add something from the SRX library, but they don't include SN-A sounds and there are only two slots for EXPs.
I checked thoroughly when the FA came out whether it could be a replacement for the Integra, but it isn't.
All in all, the BK-9 offers the better range of acoustic sounds, unless you are very keen on two particular SRX/EXP expansions you could use in the FA. FA is better for symphonic sounds if you use EXP Orchestra plus Brass or Strings (problem: all 3 are impossible), probably better for E-pianos, and certainly for electronic sounds. For acoustic sounds involved in some pop music, swing, jazz, latin, oldies etc., you are certainly better off with the BK-9 soundwise.
Why was the BK-9 so unsuccessful? - It has not much to do with the range of sounds, but with marketing, Roland's present image as an arranger manufacturer, the look of the two tiny displays, shitstorms and the fact that Yamaha boasted with their audio styles in their demos, which sound better than the BK-9.

Really?

I am shocked, and fooled by my own asumptions..

Cant wayt however for Roland to make an Arranger with the sounds of the Integra7 and the livesets of the Jupiter 80 and the piano's and highend keys of the RD800 with aftertouch.

http://keyszone.boards.net

#417000 - 02/19/16 02:15 PM Re: Roland BK9 sounding real good.... [Re: Bachus]
rosetree
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Bachus

Really?

I am shocked, and fooled by my own asumptions..

On the Rolandclan forum you can read a lot about it if you see through the first threads from the time when the FA came out. Many users had a wrong idea about the Axial sound packages. The only ones that really contain new sounds (new waveforms) are the EXPs to be loaded into the 2 slots, and these are 1:1 the old SRX expansions, you can compare the respective PDF sound lists. (One or two EXPs, e.g. Ultimate Keys, even lack a few waveforms from the SRX boards).
The other Axial packages are SN-Synth sounds, but not with new waveforms, but just sounds programmed out of the existing SN-Synth waveforms in the FA.
I love some of the SRX expansions especially for their orchestral sounds, but they are not very strong regarding acoustic solo sounds like saxophone and trumpet. And the 2 slot restriction is significant to me.

#417062 - 02/20/16 10:25 AM Re: Roland BK9 sounding real good.... [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

Edited by Dnj (02/20/16 10:30 AM)

#417064 - 02/20/16 11:56 AM Re: Roland BK9 sounding real good.... [Re: Dnj]
rosetree
Unregistered

I don't like the Sudclavier demos of the BK-9. Sound quite cheesy despite the good player.

#417065 - 02/20/16 12:18 PM Re: Roland BK9 sounding real good.... [Re: ]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: rosetree
I don't like the Sudclavier demos of the BK-9. Sound quite cheesy despite the good player.

Well you take the good with the bad on these demos for what their worth,.....I never put anything into a demo vs playing the unit myself and making a decision with my own two ears..if I like it I'll keep it for a while if not Bye Bye,...I will say the BK9 is intriguing and does have many kool attributes for the gigging player.
I would love to try one,...who knows it might be my next KB....
just sayin' wink

#417111 - 02/21/16 07:08 AM Re: Roland BK9 sounding real good.... [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

Here are some great BK9 reviews from SZ members in the past...
food for thought...

http://www.synthzone.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/371029/My_Review_of_the_Roland_BK_9

#417128 - 02/21/16 08:40 AM Re: Roland BK9 sounding real good.... [Re: Dnj]
rosetree
Unregistered

I would also read through the threads on rolandarranger.com. Especially Diki writes a lot of true things there, for example that the conventional saxophones (that are in the BK-7m as well) sound better than the SuperNatural one.
He also stresses the importance of the chord sequencer, which I strongly support; it is a main reason why I think I'll keep the BK-9. It opens many possibilities for your left hand.

Edited by rosetree (02/21/16 08:41 AM)

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online