SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#417114 - 02/21/16 07:18 AM Re: PA4X review from another forum [Re: DonM]
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Well....it is our fault...the keys are so bad....Quit buying and the changes will happen.
I will go somewhere to see if I can deal with them...I am spoiled with nice quality keybed for years now. Kursweil K2600, Korg PA2XPRO, CME UF-70, and the keybeds on all the wonderful Yamaha Organs I owned.

The PSR 970 is not a toy keyboard and for $2,000 it should have a better keybed. I just found out the keys are not standard size??

Of course I understand you guys that carry them around like the light weight...and some do like the keybed.....but I think a lot of players just acceot the keys as the rest of the instrument is very nice.

Yamaha, IMHO is very stubborn on changes that we want...I was very surprised and happy that they did a 76 on the T5. AND I think sales have been good on the 76...

My concern on the keybed on the 970 will be getting consistant results note to note on playing as the feel certainly effects that.

I think Yamaha needs a PSR in between the 970 and T5.
We go from $2,000 to $5,000 that's one heck of a spread.

I guess I need to go to a shop to play the 970 to see if the sounds and keys are going to work for me....If not then I will look for either a used T4 or bite the bullet & get the T5. I'm sure since the T4 has been out a while that it would be tough to get one that has not been used pretty hard.

Thanks for all the input it has been very helpful.

#417115 - 02/21/16 07:22 AM Re: PA4X review from another forum [Re: leeboy]
Dnj Offline

Lee wrote..."but I think a lot of players just accept the keys as the rest of the instrument is very nice."

I would say so..

cool2

#417117 - 02/21/16 08:03 AM Re: PA4X review from another forum [Re: DonM]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Well I like the extremely light key feel on the PSRs. It is easier on my hands and fingers. I've never been a piano player. It's a different instrument. I can see how piano players would prefer heavier action.
Having said this, I like the Korg keys a lot. I'd probably like them even better if the touch was even lighter. I do appreciate that they are at least full size, unlike PSR keys.

#417118 - 02/21/16 08:06 AM Re: PA4X review from another forum [Re: DonM]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: DonM
I like the Korg keys a lot. I'd probably like them even better if the touch was even lighter.

Don I am so used to the light S970 yamaha style keybed too, buit..please explain further about the keybed feel on the Pa4x...
I understand what your saying ...

#417119 - 02/21/16 08:10 AM Re: PA4X review from another forum [Re: DonM]
DonM Offline

Well, the keys feel very good, very responsive, but last week after six nights in a row of four-plus hours each, my right wrist was telling me ENOUGH. Normally it isn't a problem, and after taking a few days off, last night was fine, no problem.
My point was that not all of us require, or even want, real piano action.
Since this thread started out being about the PA4X, I thought it was at least appropriate to mention it.

#417121 - 02/21/16 08:16 AM Re: PA4X review from another forum [Re: DonM]
Dnj Offline

Well, the keys feel very good, very responsive, but last week after six nights in a row of four-plus hours each, my right wrist was telling me ENOUGH. Normally it isn't a problem, and after taking a few days off, last night was fine, no problem.
My point was that not all of us require, or even want, real piano action.
Since this thread started out being about the PA4X, I thought it was at least appropriate to mention it.

Yes Don a few nights in the trenches will definitely take it's toll on your fingers.....you make all good points as usual... I hope your not having korg buyers remorse & yamaha envy again... coffee

Edited by Dnj (02/21/16 08:17 AM)

#417123 - 02/21/16 08:21 AM Re: PA4X review from another forum [Re: Dnj]
DonM Offline

Absolutely not. Not in any way whatsoever. I would not trade my PA4X for two Tyros 5s, an S970 and a future draft choice!
I love it!

#417124 - 02/21/16 08:22 AM Re: PA4X review from another forum [Re: DonM]
Dnj Offline

Absolutely not. Not in any way whatsoever. I would not trade my PA4X for two Tyros 5s, an S970 and a future draft choice!
I love it!

ok lol....I'll save this post for future references hahah wave

#417125 - 02/21/16 08:30 AM Re: PA4X review from another forum [Re: DonM]
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Hey guys...were not talking about piano style, weighted hammer action here...we are talking about QUALITY, semi-weighted synth keybed. Piano players would ideally want Piano style keys like a full acoustic piano.
I am an organ player from way back so Piano keys not required or even wanted here....but I do remember trying a PSR-950 once at Sweetwater (I lived 20 min from there , not I have moved to Ocala, FL)....and it felt cheap, toy like...and I remember the spacing seemed strange too.

Come on Yamaha...make the price $2199 and give us the Tyros keybed (Yes it is reasonable to do, a CME-UF70 I have has great keys and only was $350 new).

I think enough people may go Tyros instead of PSR (or Yamaha thinks they will) because of the keys????

If sales went down, and we tell them we want a better keybed....maybe they would...money talks.

A Korg PA900 has wonderful keys and is about the same price of PSR-970. (I still think I want Yamaha sounds & styles however)
So its not that the cost of MFG is the issue.

Oh well, my opinions won't change anything...I still have to make a decision.

#417126 - 02/21/16 08:34 AM Re: PA4X review from another forum [Re: DonM]
Dnj Offline

Good luck Lee...I'm sure you try them and make a educated decision for your needs as a player in all aspects..keep us posted..

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online