SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#416816 - 02/15/16 11:21 AM Gigging with more than one keyboard.
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
For the past couple of months, both my wife and I, and me as a solo, have been using our Tyros 4 for gigs.

Since we still have the S970, I thought I would copy the updated duo/solo gig files from the Tyros to the S970 in case I decided to use the S970.

I changed the names of the existing files on the Tyros so as to not confuse the existing links(gigs)on the S970 when I transferred gigs via USB.

Of course, each style, voice, multipad, text file and you name it has a different destination on the S970 than it has on the Tyros. And on the Tyros, a number of the voices and styles I use come from the Country Musician pack that doesn't translate to the S970.

Bottom line, having more than one arranger, even of the same brand Yamaha(though different models ) involves A LOT of what we used to call programming time....hard for me anyway to justify time wise, two, ready to go, gigging keyboards.

Sort of makes me wish I could start over. Pick the one arranger I wanted and stick with that for the next number of years.

Kudos to all of you that can keep more than one arranger going.

smile

#416817 - 02/15/16 11:29 AM Re: Gigging with more than one keyboard. [Re: guitpic1]
Dnj Offline

there are no shortcuts if your serious about your music,....do all your homework and when your done no matter how long it takes
your good to go..good luck.

#416822 - 02/15/16 11:52 AM Re: Gigging with more than one keyboard. [Re: guitpic1]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Many years ago, I played stacked keyboards, mainly because I had the ungodly fear that one might crap out in the middle of a job, something that never happened with any keyboard I've owned. I did that for about four years, and in order to see the audience I had to position the keyboards like you would position a piano to play to an audience. The audience was always to my left side, and they could see me playing, which was nice, but after a couple hours of being a bit contorted, I was in real pain.

Finally, I said to Hell with this, went to a single keyboard setup and never looked back. It was so nice to be able to sit behind the keyboard and see the audience, they could see me, no longer had to sit sideways, I was comfortable. One of the best days was when Donny Pesce talked me into using a laptop PC for the lyrics. Thought I'd died and went to heaven. No longer had to haul 8 3-inch loose leaf binder with me and set up a separate music stand. Life got a lot easier.

Now, if you intend to use one keyboard, and have your wife use the other, well, that's a different story, but keep in mind that setup times will be twice as long as setting up a single keyboard.

All the best,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#416825 - 02/15/16 11:55 AM Re: Gigging with more than one keyboard. [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: travlin'easy
Many years ago, I played stacked keyboards, mainly because I had the ungodly fear that one might crap out in the middle of a job, something that never happened with any keyboard I've owned. I did that for about four years, and in order to see the audience I had to position the keyboards like you would position a piano to play to an audience. The audience was always to my left side, and they could see me playing, which was nice, but after a couple hours of being a bit contorted, I was in real pain.

Finally, I said to Hell with this, went to a single keyboard setup and never looked back. It was so nice to be able to sit behind the keyboard and see the audience, they could see me, no longer had to sit sideways, I was comfortable. One of the best days was when Donny Pesce talked me into using a laptop PC for the lyrics. Thought I'd died and went to heaven. No longer had to haul 8 3-inch loose leaf binder with me and set up a separate music stand. Life got a lot easier.

Now, if you intend to use one keyboard, and have your wife use the other, well, that's a different story, but keep in mind that setup times will be twice as long as setting up a single keyboard.

All the best,

Gary cool

Gary your were a good Grasshopper... wink

#416829 - 02/15/16 12:11 PM Re: Gigging with more than one keyboard. [Re: travlin'easy]
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
Originally Posted By: travlin'easy

All the best,

Gary cool

Gary,

Understood. Thanks for the reply.

I own several guitars. Whole different story. Whatever gig I'm doing...just take another guitar and go.

Arrangers are like computers....each one needs its own programming. I'm better understanding why my piano/keyboard friends have little interest in an arranger.

Take care.

Rog L

#416831 - 02/15/16 01:31 PM Re: Gigging with more than one keyboard. [Re: guitpic1]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
I often gig with two arranger keyboards, Yes it can be a PITA, longer set up/tear down, two OS to learn.... But for me it comes down to sound. My Ketron Audya has a sounds and styles that I just can't get out of my Yamaha 950 and vice versa. However sometimes I have time and or space limitations so I have to make a compromise and just bring the best keyboard for the job.

Here's a pic of a double arranger set up.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=...e=3&theater

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#416835 - 02/15/16 03:04 PM Re: Gigging with more than one keyboard. [Re: montunoman]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: montunoman
I often gig with two arranger keyboards, Yes it can be a PITA, longer set up/tear down, two OS to learn.... But for me it comes down to sound. My Ketron Audya has a sounds and styles that I just can't get out of my Yamaha 950 and vice versa. However sometimes I have time and or space limitations so I have to make a compromise and just bring the best keyboard for the job.

Here's a pic of a double arranger set up.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?
fbid=1212757075419504&set=a.153449051350317.28524.100000556690855&type=3&theater

For those who don't use faceBook....just sayin'..

Attachments
12743808_1212757075419504_8780090284280892518_n.jpg

#416845 - 02/15/16 04:52 PM Re: Gigging with more than one keyboard. [Re: Dnj]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Thanks for posting that, Paul and Donny ...

#416847 - 02/15/16 05:26 PM Re: Gigging with more than one keyboard. [Re: guitpic1]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Thanks Donny!

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#416879 - 02/16/16 08:36 AM Re: Gigging with more than one keyboard. [Re: guitpic1]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
I always use a 2nd keyboard when playing an arranger, for intro's
and bass lines with the left hand. this is particularly useful for tunes with walking bass lines where you need to walk up to a chord and need to do it before the arranger can figure out where you're going.

I use a variety of 2nd boards; mostly pianos or synths with a really good bass setting and a good piano setting.

I particularly like to use this 2nd board for intros and endings.

This kind of takes a little of the automation factor out of the mix.

It's a natural for an old B-3 dude. In fact, the bottom keyboard is often not an arranger but an XB-2.

R.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online