Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#415040 - 01/21/16 11:03 PM to critique or not critique...that is the question
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
I posted this in the "You're The First the last My Everything Rico" thread,

CLICK HERE:
You're The First the last My Everything Rico

........but I thought I'd also like to present it as a topic. Sorry I didn't have the time to edit it as a topic.
-----------------------------------------------------
Reference: Rico's interpretation of "You're the First," etc)

Out of respect for Rico, I didn't add the word "robotic" but I'll add it now.

Let me relate a story I still think about today when I'm playing to an audience.

Someone once asked me to play Please, Release Me. I mean the song is so simple, it's hard to "get into it." But that's exactly what I did......forget to "get into it." At the end of the song, the person said something like: "Very nice......now play it with some feeling!"

I'm assuming/was assuming/have been assuming all along to now that Rico doesn't post to just entertain us, but that's he looking to better himself with each performance. And you need input from outside sources to do that.

Now I didn't make those comments to Rico to be mean. On the contrary, I view him as very talented. I wouldn't make those kind of suggestions to someone who I thought was not as dedicated to his music as he is.

And he's quite capable of playing with more passion. Listen to what he did with Maria Elena using the guitar patch. It's right from the heart and reeks of tenderness.

I'm not sure why I seem to be the only one here who critiques as I see it. I'm genuinely thankful for the people who "critiqued" me over the years. I thought about every remark ever presented to me and if I thought there was legitimacy to it, then I acted on it. And most of the "critiques" were accurate enough to put me back on track.

I'm doing no one a favor by posting the "clapping hands" and moving on to the next post like some do!

MARK

#415042 - 01/21/16 11:05 PM Re: to critique or not critique...that is the question [Re: Mark79100]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I posted this on the other thread, but here it is again.
On another forum of which I am also a member, you can choose "I welcome Constructive Criticism" or "I Want Words of Encouragement". I am of the belief that the first choice is best, but everyone isn't.
I truly welcome criticism, and, trust me, there is always something that can be improved.
I am honored when someone actually cares enough to listen closely enough to offer advice!
Very, very seldom do I record a song that I'm totally happy with, and I do record myself every night!

#415044 - 01/21/16 11:24 PM Re: to critique or not critique...that is the question [Re: DonM]
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
Don.......I'm glad you posted it again 'cause I think what you wrote NEEDS to be posted AGAIN.

.......especially this part:

Originally Posted By: DonM
I am honored when someone actually cares enough to listen closely enough to offer advice!

What are you doing up so late. I know.....figuring out what keyboard to buy next!

MARK

#415074 - 01/22/16 08:36 AM Re: to critique or not critique...that is the question [Re: Mark79100]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
No, I'm very happy with the Korg PA4X. Not in the market for another arranger and I truly hope nothing comes up to tempt me!
I quit working around 10:30, then have dinner. Get home by midnight and usually go to bed around 1:30 or 2:00.
Then up at 10:00 a.m. to start over!

#415077 - 01/22/16 08:50 AM Re: to critique or not critique...that is the question [Re: Mark79100]
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I guess I've been around here long enough that everyone has no qualms about commenting on what I do wrong, which sometimes, just getting out of bed in the morning can be wrong. For a while, DonM was presenting me with challenges, all of which I looked forward to. He would send me a song title, then tell me that I should be performing that song. Most of the time, I had never heard the song, therefore, I would listen to it a couple times on You Tube, then go to the keyboard, find an appropriate style, and go to work. Most of the time, it would go smoothly, but some of the songs were mind blowers that took up to a week for me to get remotely close to the original. If nothing else, this keyed my musical interests and made me strive to play and sing better. DonM is a true gentleman and a scholar, and there are damned few of us left in this world! smile smile smile

Rico is extremely talented, IMO, and really puts a lot into each song he has posted. In many you can see the enthusiasm in his movements and body language while he performs. I only wish I had just 10 percent of his musical abilities, but alas, I'm just an old hack that is currently semi-retired (soon to be fully retired) from the business of making a living playing music. Rico is still quite young, and I suspect that in time, he will provide his audiences with some incredible renditions.

All the best,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#415084 - 01/22/16 11:00 AM Re: to critique or not critique...that is the question [Re: travlin'easy]
Bachus Offline

May i add to this, that there are two types of criticisme..

The first one is seen much to often on the interwebs or in real time life, and thats the kind of criticisme to burn someone down.. it doesnt require much tought, just some fierce words..

However there is also the kind of criticisme Hammer describes, the kind of criticisme to better someone, that gives someone insight in their weak points and gives them advise how to improve..

One type of criticism should allways be welcomed by everyone
The other type should be banned out...

http://keyszone.boards.net

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online