Topic Options
#414799 - 01/18/16 07:29 AM My Gig in an early 1800's Historical Mansion
Dnj Offline

cool2 I was waiting to see a Ghost appear lol

Attachments
20160117_114433.jpg

mmmmmmmmmm.jpg

Edited by Dnj (01/18/16 07:58 AM)

#414800 - 01/18/16 08:03 AM Re: My Gig in an early 1800's Historical Mansion [Re: Dnj]
KORG80 Offline

Nice digs! Keyboard /singer's gear looks pretty cool too!

God Bless,
Don

#414802 - 01/18/16 08:17 AM Re: My Gig in an early 1800's Historical Mansion [Re: KORG80]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: KORG80
Nice digs! Keyboard /singer's gear looks pretty cool too!

God Bless,
Don

Thanx Don..It was a blast...
you should of saw the rest of the house all wood. keys

Attachments
mmm22222.jpg

#414803 - 01/18/16 08:51 AM Re: My Gig in an early 1800's Historical Mansion [Re: Dnj]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
I had a gig in a private club similar to this a few years ago ... One thing that concerned me was whether or not there was enough electrical power for my gear ...

#414804 - 01/18/16 08:54 AM Re: My Gig in an early 1800's Historical Mansion [Re: tony mads usa]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: tony mads usa
I had a gig in a private club similar to this a few years ago ... One thing that concerned me was whether or not there was enough electrical power for my gear ...

No electrical problems here it's house is completely redone,
it was an awesome gig. cool2

#414805 - 01/18/16 09:02 AM Re: My Gig in an early 1800's Historical Mansion [Re: Dnj]
shueymusic Offline

Loc: Lebanon, PA
Beautiful place to play!!!

On my S979, I put my mixer on the right speaker. Only because of being able to access the WAV file player on my Sonar (Roland) VS-100. Under the mixer, I put a non-skid piece of rubber so it doesn't slide off.

I put a 1/4" headphone adapter in the headphone jack to cancel the speakers. Then I just monitor through my DXR10s. I want to hear what my audience is listening to.

DNJ... Do you cancel out the internal speakers since you have the mixer in the left speaker?!?
Yamaha Genos - RCF M20x - RCF HD10A (Stereo) - Jupiter Pocket Trumpet - Sennheiser e935 - Neumann KMS-104 plus-N

#414806 - 01/18/16 09:06 AM Re: My Gig in an early 1800's Historical Mansion [Re: Dnj]
Bachus Offline

Impressive house....

You could have played the grand piano, instead of your yamaha, would have been more fitting for the environment wink

http://keyszone.boards.net

#414807 - 01/18/16 09:11 AM Re: My Gig in an early 1800's Historical Mansion [Re: shueymusic]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: shueymusic

On my S979, I put my mixer on the right speaker. Only because of being able to access the WAV file player on my Sonar (Roland) VS-100. Under the mixer, I put a non-skid piece of rubber so it doesn't slide off.

I put a 1/4" headphone adapter in the headphone jack to cancel the speakers. Then I just monitor through my DXR10s. I want to hear what my audience is listening to.

DNJ... Do you cancel out the internal speakers since you have the mixer in the left speaker?!?

I never cancel the onboard speakers, I never have a problem hearing the mains ... I put gel feet on bottom of the mixer also so it doesnt slide.

Attachments
mNaTvhZIgOgs6OljCfpCZMA.jpg

Edited by Dnj (01/18/16 09:25 AM)

#414808 - 01/18/16 09:25 AM Re: My Gig in an early 1800's Historical Mansion [Re: shueymusic]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA

Do you know that on PSR S-970 you can turn the speakers off internally without having to use a headphone jack? There are three options, ON, OFF, and AUTOMATIC (which shuts them off only when hp jack is inserted.

#414809 - 01/18/16 09:27 AM Re: My Gig in an early 1800's Historical Mansion [Re: Bachus]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Bachus
Impressive house....

You could have played the grand piano, instead of your yamaha, would have been more fitting for the environment wink

no way piano was in the main foyer to far from the action they wanted to dance it was a 80th surprise Birthday party...besides I'm not a piano player wink

#414810 - 01/18/16 09:29 AM Re: My Gig in an early 1800's Historical Mansion [Re: DonM]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: DonM

Do you know that on PSR S-970 you can turn the speakers off internally without having to use a headphone jack? There are three options, ON, OFF, and AUTOMATIC (which shuts them off only when hp jack is inserted.

Yes Don......Ive done it eitherway with many Kb's with or without speakers like my old Tyros, Pa3x, etc, no biggie..

#414811 - 01/18/16 09:30 AM Re: My Gig in an early 1800's Historical Mansion [Re: Dnj]
DonM Offline

I know you knew about it, but not sure Shuey did.

#414812 - 01/18/16 09:34 AM Re: My Gig in an early 1800's Historical Mansion [Re: DonM]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: DonM
I know you knew about it, but not sure Shuey did.

cool2

Attachments
mmmmm33333.jpg

Edited by Dnj (01/18/16 09:43 AM)

#414813 - 01/18/16 09:46 AM Re: My Gig in an early 1800's Historical Mansion [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Nice pics - where's the vids? wink

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#414814 - 01/18/16 09:49 AM Re: My Gig in an early 1800's Historical Mansion [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: travlin'easy
Nice pics - where's the vids? wink

Gary cool

when I get a GoPro like you I'll take some..

#414824 - 01/18/16 11:49 AM Re: My Gig in an early 1800's Historical Mansion [Re: tony mads usa]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA

Tony it wasn't the the old Beraducci Funeral Home on Broadway that's now Spirito's Italian Restaurant? I played a Christmas dinner there and the power on one wall was a mess, kept blowing fuses on my Bose L1 after blowing 2 fuses I wound up damaging the plastic connector that held the fuse in place. Good thing I had a back up amp.

Played a wedding ceremony at Salve Regina University in Newport, RI a few years back here's some photos of Ochre Court Mansion. Yes that is my wife in the photo.

Exterior of Ochre Court

The Chapel in Ochre Court

#414826 - 01/18/16 01:22 PM Re: My Gig in an early 1800's Historical Mansion [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

My claim to fame for private parties was the Liriodendron Mansion in Bel Air, Maryland. This has been a popular location for political fund raisers, which I performed for dozens each election year. The mansion is absolutely incredible, situated on a very large parcel of land, and was the home of the first OB/GYN physician at The Johns Hopkins Hospital. Back when I was still doing weddings, I did a half dozen performances at this location for them as well.

[img]http://i4.ytimg.com/vi/dvGVxG7akzI/maxresdefault.jpg[/img

Gary cool

#414830 - 01/18/16 02:39 PM Re: My Gig in an early 1800's Historical Mansion [Re: Dnj]
124 Offline

http://www.countrylife.co.uk/property/lo...e-of-polo-17626

Many years ago we played a huge do here, Hurlingham House, right in the thick of London, though you'd never guess it.

It was a royal occasion of some sort with an ox roast, mediaeval jousting, five bands from a string quartet, to a jazz trio, ourselves (a pop/rock band), an 18-piece dance band, and a solo classical pianist - no, not all in the same room smile.

Prince Charles, Princess Anne, both twenty somethings at the time, plus a few other assorted dukes and duchesses were milling about among what we guesstimated to be over 1,000 guests. It was hard to tell between the crowds in the grounds and in the house itself.

I can't say I've ever played as posh a do, before or since.

#414832 - 01/18/16 02:51 PM Re: My Gig in an early 1800's Historical Mansion [Re: Dnj]
DonM Offline

...reminds me. I have some extra fuses and holders for Bose L1!

#414836 - 01/18/16 03:58 PM Re: My Gig in an early 1800's Historical Mansion [Re: Dnj]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Did one like that with a similar setu . Baby grand in the Foyer next to a staircase. I was hired to do a Wedding Rehersal Dinner on the piano. They were in other rooms also but wanted piano music just for ambiance in a classy place. I show up and the Caterer tells me I have to pay a fee to play the piano. I refused and said if you want I'll bring in my own piano set it up next to the Baby grand ( I ALWAYS bring mine just because ) and ruin the setting. He backed off.

#414837 - 01/18/16 04:17 PM Re: My Gig in an early 1800's Historical Mansion [Re: Dnj]
124 Offline

Nice one, Bill.:)

#414839 - 01/18/16 05:00 PM Re: My Gig in an early 1800's Historical Mansion [Re: Stephenm52]
tony mads usa Offline

Donny ... that's a beautiful building ... must have been a really nice gig ...

Originally Posted By: Stephenm52

Tony it wasn't the the old Beraducci Funeral Home on Broadway that's now Spirito's Italian Restaurant? I played a Christmas dinner there and the power on one wall was a mess, kept blowing fuses on my Bose L1 after blowing 2 fuses I wound up damaging the plastic connector that held the fuse in place. Good thing I had a back up amp.
Played a wedding ceremony at Salve Regina University in Newport, RI a few years back here's some photos of Ochre Court Mansion. Yes that is my wife in the photo.

No Steve ... it was at the prestigious To Kalon (Greek: The Beauty) club ...

Attachments
to kalon 1.jpg

to kalon 2.jpg

#414840 - 01/18/16 05:02 PM Re: My Gig in an early 1800's Historical Mansion [Re: Bill Lewis]
tony mads usa Offline

Originally Posted By: Bill Lewis
I show up and the Caterer tells me I have to pay a fee to play the piano. I refused and said if you want I'll bring in my own piano set it up next to the Baby grand ( I ALWAYS bring mine just because ) and ruin the setting. He backed off.

Bill ... was it the caterer's piano ?!? ...

#414842 - 01/18/16 05:28 PM Re: My Gig in an early 1800's Historical Mansion [Re: Dnj]
shueymusic Offline

Loc: Lebanon, PA
Now I know for sure that you can switch the speakers off internally! Thanks guys!! The adapter is just another easy way... I keep it in my USB flash drive case!
Yamaha Genos - RCF M20x - RCF HD10A (Stereo) - Jupiter Pocket Trumpet - Sennheiser e935 - Neumann KMS-104 plus-N

#414847 - 01/18/16 06:12 PM Re: My Gig in an early 1800's Historical Mansion [Re: tony mads usa]
Bill Lewis Offline

I show up and the Caterer tells me I have to pay a fee to play the piano. I refused and said if you want I'll bring in my own piano set it up next to the Baby grand ( I ALWAYS bring mine just because ) and ruin the setting. He backed off.

IDon't know who owned it but what harm would it do. They could see I was a professional and not going to go Jerry Lee on it. Would they charge people to use the restroom ? Besides if you have a Piano it's Good to play it rather than have it
Sit idle

Edited by Bill Lewis (01/18/16 06:15 PM)

#414848 - 01/18/16 06:22 PM Re: My Gig in an early 1800's Historical Mansion [Re: Bill Lewis]
tony mads usa Offline

I was just wondering why he felt he had the right to tell you to pay for the use of it ...

#414864 - 01/19/16 06:27 AM Re: My Gig in an early 1800's Historical Mansion [Re: tony mads usa]
Bill Lewis Offline

I was just wondering why he felt he had the right to tell you to pay for the use of it ...

Sorry about the mess posted before. My IPad connection went screwy and I couldn't delete that post
Anyway I don't know if the Caterer was the owner of the Venue or was just trying to shake me down. It was in North Jersey LOL !. Kickbacks are a part of the business. I guess they pay to have it tuned so they want to pass that along. You could use that logic for the restrooms too I guess, and the chairs, tables, electricity. BTW its GOOD to play a piano rather than let it sit idle, but try to explain that to them.
I've posted this before but I played a corporate event in Atlantic City for years and never realized the host had to pay a fee to the hotel ( yes it was one of the Donalds in the early years ) for me to play. The last two years I did it they wanted a cartage fee to move my equipment up to the room. I just showed up, loaded my R&R and went up to the gig. Never heard anything more about it.
I've played in all the upscale "Wedding Factories " in North Jersey and as bueatiful and expensive as they are the entertainers usually get treated like dirt. I've joked that I've seen the dumpsters and backdoors of the finest places.

#414889 - 01/19/16 08:34 AM Re: My Gig in an early 1800's Historical Mansion [Re: Bill Lewis]
tony mads usa Offline

... and let's not forget "come in through the kitchen" ... rolleyes

#414892 - 01/19/16 08:47 AM Re: My Gig in an early 1800's Historical Mansion [Re: Dnj]
Bill Lewis Offline

Ok one more war story.. Restaurant is on a hill. Front door is street level. Party is on the second floor. Back door to the second floor is three flights up from a narrow alley, barely big enough to back my van down. Metal Fire escape stairs. Doorway is blocked up with extra tables and chairs. Yep, can't use the front door or the elevator. Gotta come in thru the back and up those stairs and climb around the junk.
Never went back there.

#414897 - 01/19/16 09:03 AM Re: My Gig in an early 1800's Historical Mansion [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

I understand the venue making you go around the service entrance, kitchen or what ever as they don't want musicians lugging gear thru the people mingling in the lobby, cocktail area, etc,...
it looks bad and someone can get injured. Best to set up very early, carry a light compact rig, use a R&Roller, pay a few workers there to help I do that all the time when needed..

#414900 - 01/19/16 09:33 AM Re: My Gig in an early 1800's Historical Mansion [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Baltimore has many historical buildings, particularly in the inner harbor area, buildings that have been restored to revere their original usage. Many were originally inns and have been transformed into quaint, but very expensive, restaurants. Many are situated along the waterfront of Fells Point, where I was called upon to perform at a Christmas Party for a shipping company. The job was booked through an agency and the pay was $200 for 4 hours.

When I arrived I was immediately told that I could not park anywhere near the building. I told them that I had a lot of equipment to unload for the party that was on the 3rd floor. They said, find, but you'll have to use the side door, go through the kitchen and use the service elevator.

First and foremost, I nearly destroyed the small wheels on the Rock And Roller cart trying to roll over 50 feet of Cobblestone, which is what the adjacent ally was paved with. I managed to drag the R&R up the single step and into the kitchen, which was very small, cluttered, and the floors were so greasy that you almost needed golf shoes to walk on it without slipping.

When I got to the elevator, there was no way the R&R loaded with gear would fit. It measured about 3 X 3 feet, it was filthy, and I had to place sheets of newspaper on the floor of it in order to keep the crud off my gear. It took three trips with the elevator to get everything to the 3rd floor, then loaded it back on the R&R cart and roll it down a long hallway to the banquet room. All this took about 30 minutes, and I was sweating like mad from the exertion.

When I got back to the van, there was a lady cop standing next to it, and pulling out her ticket book. I explained what happened, and she allowed me to go on my way. The Inn's parking lot was two blocks away, was supposed to be fenced in and attended, but there was no attendant in sight. It was a scary walk back to the Inn and I was a bit worried about my safety.

After setting up my gear, I plugged into an ungrounded wall outlet, which required using a 3 to 2 adapter. I think the building used the same wiring when the it was built, which was well over 100 years ago. Fortunately, I didn't get zapped and didn't blow any fuses.

The job went well, and I was expecting about 60 people, but the crowd ended up being well over 100. I thought the shipping company was a trucking company, but I was dead wrong. It was a major container ship company that had more than a dozen huge container ships on both coasts. After the job ended, the owner came up to me, handed me an envelope and said "I've already sent a check to the agent for you, but this is for doing a really great job." He also asked if I would be available for next year's Christmas Party, to which I said "Sorry, December of next year is already booked." Of course that was a lie, but I damned sure was not coming back to this place again.

You can take a full tour of the Admiral Fell Inn Here!

all the best,

Gary cool

#414901 - 01/19/16 10:09 AM Re: My Gig in an early 1800's Historical Mansion [Re: Dnj]
DonM Offline

I once booked a job in a night club that had been converted from a really old mansion in Magnolia, Arkansas. The downstairs was a restaurant and the club part upstairs. At the time I was playing a really huge organ. When I got there I found the stair case, and it was almost vertical, with very close sides.
I told them there was no way to get my organ up those stairs. They got four strong guys, lifted the organ and turn it on its end and proceeded up the stairs. They did get it up there without damaging it. The leslie cabinet was next, then the P.A.
I booked the next four weekends so was able to leave it there for a while, but sure enough the time came to load up and go somewhere else. Guess what, the four strong guys were not around--just me and a friend.
That's probably why I have back trouble today because I got underneath the end of the organ, my friend and a waitress were able to tilt the other end and we proceed down the steps. Once I started down, they could do nothing but cheer me on. They couldn't hold on and couldn't get past me to help. "Their" end was sort of sliding from step to step. At least it was carpeted. I'm not sure how it happened but I got it down, then managed to rest the top end on the floor as I squeezed out from under and balanced it on the edge of the top end of the organ. I was able to stand it up on its end and then the others could get downstairs to help lean it over on its feet again. Back then I was young and strong and not afraid to try anything.
They called some time later to book me again, and I respectfully declined!

#414906 - 01/19/16 10:44 AM Re: My Gig in an early 1800's Historical Mansion [Re: DonM]
tony mads usa Offline

... where was NORD when you really needed them ??? ... organ

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online