SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#414837 - 01/18/16 04:17 PM Re: My Gig in an early 1800's Historical Mansion [Re: Dnj]
124 Offline

Nice one, Bill.:)

#414839 - 01/18/16 05:00 PM Re: My Gig in an early 1800's Historical Mansion [Re: Stephenm52]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Donny ... that's a beautiful building ... must have been a really nice gig ...

Originally Posted By: Stephenm52

Tony it wasn't the the old Beraducci Funeral Home on Broadway that's now Spirito's Italian Restaurant? I played a Christmas dinner there and the power on one wall was a mess, kept blowing fuses on my Bose L1 after blowing 2 fuses I wound up damaging the plastic connector that held the fuse in place. Good thing I had a back up amp.
Played a wedding ceremony at Salve Regina University in Newport, RI a few years back here's some photos of Ochre Court Mansion. Yes that is my wife in the photo.

No Steve ... it was at the prestigious To Kalon (Greek: The Beauty) club ...

Attachments
to kalon 1.jpg

to kalon 2.jpg

#414840 - 01/18/16 05:02 PM Re: My Gig in an early 1800's Historical Mansion [Re: Bill Lewis]
tony mads usa Offline

Originally Posted By: Bill Lewis
I show up and the Caterer tells me I have to pay a fee to play the piano. I refused and said if you want I'll bring in my own piano set it up next to the Baby grand ( I ALWAYS bring mine just because ) and ruin the setting. He backed off.

Bill ... was it the caterer's piano ?!? ...

#414842 - 01/18/16 05:28 PM Re: My Gig in an early 1800's Historical Mansion [Re: Dnj]
shueymusic Offline

Loc: Lebanon, PA
Now I know for sure that you can switch the speakers off internally! Thanks guys!! The adapter is just another easy way... I keep it in my USB flash drive case!
Yamaha Genos - RCF M20x - RCF HD10A (Stereo) - Jupiter Pocket Trumpet - Sennheiser e935 - Neumann KMS-104 plus-N

#414847 - 01/18/16 06:12 PM Re: My Gig in an early 1800's Historical Mansion [Re: tony mads usa]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Originally Posted By: tony mads usa
I show up and the Caterer tells me I have to pay a fee to play the piano. I refused and said if you want I'll bring in my own piano set it up next to the Baby grand ( I ALWAYS bring mine just because ) and ruin the setting. He backed off.

IDon't know who owned it but what harm would it do. They could see I was a professional and not going to go Jerry Lee on it. Would they charge people to use the restroom ? Besides if you have a Piano it's Good to play it rather than have it
Sit idle

Edited by Bill Lewis (01/18/16 06:15 PM)

#414848 - 01/18/16 06:22 PM Re: My Gig in an early 1800's Historical Mansion [Re: Bill Lewis]
tony mads usa Offline

I was just wondering why he felt he had the right to tell you to pay for the use of it ...

#414864 - 01/19/16 06:27 AM Re: My Gig in an early 1800's Historical Mansion [Re: tony mads usa]
Bill Lewis Offline

I was just wondering why he felt he had the right to tell you to pay for the use of it ...

Sorry about the mess posted before. My IPad connection went screwy and I couldn't delete that post
Anyway I don't know if the Caterer was the owner of the Venue or was just trying to shake me down. It was in North Jersey LOL !. Kickbacks are a part of the business. I guess they pay to have it tuned so they want to pass that along. You could use that logic for the restrooms too I guess, and the chairs, tables, electricity. BTW its GOOD to play a piano rather than let it sit idle, but try to explain that to them.
I've posted this before but I played a corporate event in Atlantic City for years and never realized the host had to pay a fee to the hotel ( yes it was one of the Donalds in the early years ) for me to play. The last two years I did it they wanted a cartage fee to move my equipment up to the room. I just showed up, loaded my R&R and went up to the gig. Never heard anything more about it.
I've played in all the upscale "Wedding Factories " in North Jersey and as bueatiful and expensive as they are the entertainers usually get treated like dirt. I've joked that I've seen the dumpsters and backdoors of the finest places.

#414889 - 01/19/16 08:34 AM Re: My Gig in an early 1800's Historical Mansion [Re: Bill Lewis]
tony mads usa Offline

... and let's not forget "come in through the kitchen" ... rolleyes

#414892 - 01/19/16 08:47 AM Re: My Gig in an early 1800's Historical Mansion [Re: Dnj]
Bill Lewis Offline

Ok one more war story.. Restaurant is on a hill. Front door is street level. Party is on the second floor. Back door to the second floor is three flights up from a narrow alley, barely big enough to back my van down. Metal Fire escape stairs. Doorway is blocked up with extra tables and chairs. Yep, can't use the front door or the elevator. Gotta come in thru the back and up those stairs and climb around the junk.
Never went back there.

#414897 - 01/19/16 09:03 AM Re: My Gig in an early 1800's Historical Mansion [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

I understand the venue making you go around the service entrance, kitchen or what ever as they don't want musicians lugging gear thru the people mingling in the lobby, cocktail area, etc,...
it looks bad and someone can get injured. Best to set up very early, carry a light compact rig, use a R&Roller, pay a few workers there to help I do that all the time when needed..

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online