SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#414448 - 01/10/16 10:26 AM Re: Need opinions on these [Re: Mark79100]
Hal2001 Offline

Loc: U.S.
Originally Posted By: Mark79100

I do like the styles on the BK-7m but I'm not sure of the sound quality...can't find them in the stores. I'm considering MIDI-ing it to the Korg and using those styles.
Mark

Mark,

If you like the styles, then you'll like the quality of the BK7m. Excellent purity and clarity of the sounds/patches. Here's an old sample of where I hooked it up to my Korg Kronos:

https://youtu.be/jkxpeT7L5Lo

The only reason I sold my BK7m is because, as you can see from the music video, my hands had to do too many acrobatics to manage both the rhythm box and the keys. That's why I'm getting the Pa4x 76, for better usability experience by having all the variation/fill/etc buttons exactly where they are most handy for me. I know I could get a multi pedal to launch switches but I like direct access on the board best. I also make custom backing patterns using Logic Pro X Virtual Drummer. I plan to import them into the new Pa4x when I get familiar with it.
Hal

Edited by Hal2001 (01/10/16 10:28 AM)

#414451 - 01/10/16 10:58 AM Re: Need opinions on these [Re: Mark79100]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
A lot of the "many ways" are things that are nice but not totally necessary. If it makes the player happy thats great but for the regular audience, and thats the few situations where you can play and arranger for an audience, I don't think most of the extras matter.
As for the home players the more toys the better.

#414452 - 01/10/16 11:00 AM Re: Need opinions on these [Re: Dnj]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: Dnj
Originally Posted By: DonM
I loved the styles and sounds on BK7m. Just a lot of peripheral gear needed for a one-man show.

I agree Don....funny how Roland has all the pieces but has yet to put together a TOTl arranger kb since the G70...unless they know the other big companies Y&K have that all locked up and they are trying to find a little niche and that too bad. Roland lost alot of arranger KB fans and from what Ive seen the BK9 doesn't even come close to the others in many ways...but what do I know?

They all have.. Even Casio does...

Personally i still think the G70 is still an awesome board, having 6 main parts, so sweet..

Imagine A Roland arranger with an Integra 7, acb technollogy, nice touchscreen, some sampling ram, 16 multipads...

http://keyszone.boards.net

#414454 - 01/10/16 11:14 AM Re: Need opinions on these [Re: Bill Lewis]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Originally Posted By: Bill Lewis
A lot of the "many ways" are things that are nice but not totally necessary. If it makes the player happy thats great but for the regular audience, and thats the few situations where you can play and arranger for an audience, I don't think most of the extras matter.

Actually the extras are what matter most to me. All the newer arrangers sound good. It's all about having everything under control as easily as possible. Controls over changing things in real time, adjusting levels, reacting to audiences...much more.

#414455 - 01/10/16 11:24 AM Re: Need opinions on these [Re: DonM]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: DonM
Originally Posted By: Bill Lewis

Actually the extras are what matter most to me. All the newer arrangers sound good. It's all about having everything under control as easily as possible. Controls over changing things in real time, adjusting levels, reacting to audiences...much more.

let's hope the manufacturers are READING these needs over and over again and implement them in future models ASAP cool2

#414519 - 01/11/16 09:02 PM Re: Need opinions on these [Re: Mark79100]
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
Thanks for the great input everyone. You have me almost drooling over new equipment.....haven’t bought any since the PA3x.

I’m glad to hear all the positive feedback about the BK-7m and the Integra. I didn’t know they were both discontinued. I did some more research on my own about both units and what you fellows wrote here begs me to take the next step.

Unfortunately, the curse of the missing instruments rears it’s ugly head again. The stores don’t have them on demo, and not even in local stock. They have to be ordered. The only good news was from Guitar Center. They said you can still order either one, sight unseen, try it for (I think) 90 days and return it for a full refund if you don’t like it, no questions asked.

I also called the East Coast master……Frank V. He has an Integra and we discussed the Ketrons. Our conversation turned to: “you’ll probably get better backup service” with AJ then you would with Korg or Tyros. Never thought about it that way.

I’m going to put any decisions on hold until after NAMM. Perhaps I’ll be surprised with something suitable for me. And, if not, prices on what’s out there now might come down a bit.

I can’t say the PA3x styles are bad. Many units have been sold, so they can’t be “bad.” They’re just bad for me! Many are not authentic enough, boring, uncreative, repetitive on each variation, etc. But I listened to quite a few styles on the 4x and Korg seems to have cleaned up their act regards the styles. I could buy into them.

I probably will sell the PA3x. As I say, it’s a great unit, particularly the semi-weighted keyboard, and the versatility of the software. Just not right for me. I’ve been playing arranger keyboards for about 40 years now right from the embryonic stage of the first Maestro. They were incredible in those days and I still have all my early Roland styles (and arranger keyboards) from 30 years ago.

Hal.....that’s real nice playing you did with that tune. The Kronos sound fits you to a T, and you worked the “breaks” very nicely on that style....which you can tell listening closely that it belongs to Roland.

I’m going to raid my bank account and go to Frank’s place again, when he’s got everything there on the floor at once that I can try (except for the "busty blonde.)" Frank knows almost everything about anything he sells so he’s a great person to walk you through it all.

MARK

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online