SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#41421 - 04/30/06 09:28 PM Music
Retired Offline

Loc: England
Hi, Forum friends,
Owing to a virus messing up my computer, causing me to lose a lot of my photos, posters for events, music, and all the e- mail addresses of the forum friends, I had made over the years. I stopped using the internet.

I took the computer to a shop, where they manage to salvage some of the material, from my computer. I said at the time I would not bother with the internet any more. My wife said “you got a lot of pleasure from the internet and the Zynth Zone and you should not let those nasty geeks, stop you from using it”

She bought me a lap top with windows xp, not being very knowledgeable with computers I didn’t do much with it at the time, as all my interests are with my main computer.

Eventually, it was decided to use the lap top just for the internet, and if it got attacked, it would be easier to carry to the shop and I wouldn’t have my material lost. My wife said, why not have broadband, so I have. Things certainly download a lot quicker. I also have changed my e-mail address to elisebrown@btinternet.com. And will have to inform
Nigel.

I also have a request to make on behalf of a friend of mine, who is trying to obtain the top line and chords to the piece of music {This is the moment} from Jekyll & Hyde. Like my-self she can’t read the dots, but manages the top line and chords.

I’m sorry if I have bored you with my exploits, but I now feel as if I have put two fingers up to those nasty people who go out of their way to spoil the enjoyment of the majority.

Thank you in advance for any assistance you may give.
Fred Wren.

#41422 - 05/01/06 03:07 AM Re: Music
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Hi Fred,
Sorry to learn of your troubles - especially losing all your important data

Just a few comments which you may find useful in protecting your PC from the 'ner-do-wells' on the Internet.

1. If you have not already done so, install a Virus checking program on your PCs and keep it updated regularly. There is a very good one (AVG) available 'for free' here : http://free.grisoft.com/doc/2/lng/us/tpl/v5 Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on the 'avg71free......' text to download.

2. Install a Firewall on your PCs. Windows XP has a built-in firewall, which is automatically enabled if your version has Service Pack 2 (SP2) installed. However, it does have limitations and greater protection can be achieved, by installing a third party firewall. There are many firewall programs available - some of which are free to download. One example is 'Zonealarm' : http://www.download.com/3000-2092-10039884.html

3. Another useful program to include on your PCs is a Spyware remover. Two examples are 'Ad-Aware SE' : http://www.lavasoft.de/software/adaware/

and from Microsoft - Windows Defender
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx

Both are free to download...........

Losing all your data, stresses the importance of making back-ups of your important data files, to media other than your 'C:' drive - for example to CD or DVD

------------------
Willum

[This message has been edited by Bill Norrie (edited 05-01-2006).]

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#41423 - 05/01/06 06:09 AM Re: Music
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
HI Fred,
I would have copies of any music you sent to me for distribution to my Technics Lists. I can send them to you on receiving your request by email.
Best to you, and don't let the jerks get you down. Just ignore them. Everyone else does.
Bebop

#41424 - 05/01/06 07:20 AM Re: Music
born2die Offline

Loc: england
To help you in future you can look here http://www.webuser.co.uk/forums/ubbthreads.php/Cat/0 they are friendly with free advice. If you look on the security section there is a thread dedicated to free spyware firewall and antivirus. There is also a newest thread dedicated to file recovery after acrash and windows reinstall. They have saved my life and sanity more than once. Hope this helps

tris

#41425 - 05/01/06 11:01 AM Re: Music
Retired Offline

Hi Bill,
Thank you for your good advice, I am certain a lot of members will
also benefit from it. Before going on the internet with the Lap Top,
I employed a person from the local paper who advertised, no fix no fee, as my computer was attacked again, after being serviced by the shop, but that time, they only messed up getting on the internet.

He also set up my Lap Top with B.T. broadband and put anti virus
Software on it. Avast, Firewall, Microsoft Antispyware, plus other software I can’t remember, which automatically up dates themselves. When a virus attacks, I am informed before
It downloads onto the computer, which as happened a couple times.
It then tells me it has dealt with it, and no damage has occurred.

The person also said that if it should happen again he will deal with it for free. He only charged me £30 and came back on three occasions, at my request to help me with my computer. Which I thought was good of him.
Thanks once again Bill.

Hi BeBop thank you for your generous offer. I have all the music I sent you on my 256mb San Disk, it was the MP3s Hammond sounds and Hammond clones, and some videos of people playing the Hammond, that I lost. In my search for them I have found { The International Archives For Jazz Organ}. Dave Brubeck-take five, and Django Reinhardt.

I now download music to my Lap Top C.D. and transfer it to my
main computer. It’s a bit long winded but it works for me, I then play it through my KN7000 and try to tweak the KN7000 to sound
like the different sounds of the Hammond. I am quite happy with the KN7000, but it’s all part of my hobby.
Thanks again BeBop.

Tris, Thank you for your information.
Fred Wren

#41426 - 05/01/06 11:27 AM Re: Music
Carolyn Offline

Loc: Theodore, Al, USA
Fred, I am not very computer smart, so my sugestion may not work. Could you put your music downloads on a SD card, using a card reader, then transfer your music to your main computer? After music is downloaded into your laptop, you could check for viruses before you open the download? A talented computer person might verify if this might work for you. Carolyn

#41427 - 05/01/06 01:47 PM Re: Music
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Hi Fred
Here is one of the Hammond Videos you probably had.
http://www.ke-musik.dk/Upload/HtmlArticles/Article1070/index.htm

Good luck
Bernie

#41428 - 05/01/06 01:51 PM Re: Music
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
Hi Fred,

If the song you are after is what I think it is, it will be with you shortly. Check you email.

Happy playing!

Audrey (U.K.)

#41429 - 05/01/06 02:38 PM Re: Music
Retired Offline

Hi Carolyn,
As you have probably realised from my topic I am not that
clever my self when it comes to computers,
but when I download any thing from the internet, I
check it first for viruses before putting it on my Laptop C.D.
and transferring it to my main computer.
I hope I have understood you correctly.
Thank you for bring it to my attention.
Fred Wren

#41430 - 05/01/06 03:26 PM Re: Music
Retired Offline

Hi Bernie9,
It wasn’t but it will be, thank you for the link.
I had play on a xk3 last week at a keyboard festival,
then a person from Holland, Peter Baartmans, I think his
name is got on. He was brilliant.
Thank you Bernie
Fred Wren.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online